2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

Arizona State University Announces New Look For Sun Devil Stadium

Patterson and Graham met with media, fans and staff on Wednesday to share some of the basics of the revitalized stadium in addition to some of the initial renderings of the updated and upgraded stadium, which will remain in its iconic location in between the Buttes in Tempe.

The renderings are not finalized, but the tentative plan would create a shade canopy over the stadium that will allow the passage of natural light and the passage of air into the stadium while also allowing the Sun Devils to play day games earlier in the year to accommodate Pac-12 Network obligations.

The addition of the shade canopy, in addition to other alterations, will decrease seating to an area between 55,000 and 65,000 seats. As such, larger seats will be provided with more leg room and the potential of more seats with a seat back.

The stadium will be updated with a state-of-the-art sound system, video board and scoreboards, and ADA amenities and features.

----

The cost of the stadium has not been determined at this time. There are also two different options available for the build: one that would allow the team and fans to stay in Sun Devil Stadium during construction or another that would move ASU out of the stadium for a season or two that would allow time to complete the project faster. The stadium can be built in up to five stages, but a timetable has not been establish as yet.

LINK

Shade? Seat backs? Improved amenities?

Thank Jesus.

Got the opportunity to see these earlier in the week at a meeting...seems like than plan/photos are initially well-received by the public.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean, I love the place because it's my school, but Sun Devil Stadium was in need of upgrades. At the very least, they were going to need to update the amenities, video boards, and seating area. And if they can really get that roof up to work, that'll be amazing. Day games will be tolerable anywhere in the stadium. Right now, day games are damn near a death sentence.

I'm excited about it.

The cost of the stadium has not been determined at this time.

$Texas

Yeah it's going to cost money, but I remember there was some special bond measure/taxing zone in the stadium area that was voted on and put into place? AJM? Gary? Any other ASUs?

EDIT: Found it

Including the canopy, cost could run as high as $300 million, although the price tag is not yet fixed. What is certain, though, is that the university has an ongoing funding source for athletic capital projects in place through the creation of an athletic-facilities district.

Approved by the Arizona Legislature in spring 2010, the 400-acre district covers ASU-owned land from Tempe Marketplace to College Avenue and Tempe Town Lake to University Boulevard. Developers will pay a fee similar to a property tax to provide revenue not only for Sun Devil Stadium but improvements at Wells Fargo Arena and on other athletic facilities. ASU remains in negotiations with the Chicago Cubs for the school's baseball team to share the Cubs' new spring-training facility at Riverview Park in Mesa starting in 2014.

"We know the key thing in developing of the district is this world-class sports arena," Crow said. "We don't want to say what we're thinking about doing, we want to say this is what we're going to do. We want major developers to know we're moving ahead with the stadium. It's all interconnected. We know we can get it done, it's just how do we get it started?"

LINK

So yeah, is it going to cost some money? Yes.

Is there more than enough ways to pay for it? Yes.

The new AD was basically responsible and involved in every stage of building Reliant Stadium in Houston. Now obviously the NFL and ASU are far different things in some areas, but I think he has the ability to get it done.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Not the best week to be Bobby Pertino.

Credit: The Big Lead

Bobby Petrino crashed his motorcycle Sunday night. The initial reporting glossed over a small fact that emerged in the police report, the motorcycle had a passenger who was not his wife. Riding on the back of Petrino?s motorcycle was 25-year-old Jessica Dorell, a 2010 Arkansas MBA graduate. A university bio lists her as the ?Razorback Foundation Assistant Director.? She had just started to work with the football team. Dorell is engaged and slated to be married in June.

So, EMS was not notified of the accident. Petrino is brought to an intersection. Dorrell is sent away. Petrino was then brought to the hospital alone by an Arkansas State Police captain. The report conflicts with Arkansas? official statement claiming the accident involved ?no other individuals.? The report conflicts with Petrino?s remarks to the media, where he claimed he went for ?a short ride after dinner.? He was asked specifically about a passenger, made no mention of one and claimed there was a ?lady who flagged down a car.?

Oh goddamnit here come ALL THE FOIA REQUESTS.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I mean, I love the place because it's my school, but Sun Devil Stadium was in need of upgrades. At the very least, they were going to need to update the amenities, video boards, and seating area. And if they can really get that roof up to work, that'll be amazing. Day games will be tolerable anywhere in the stadium. Right now, day games are damn near a death sentence.

I'm excited about it.

$Texas

Yeah it's going to cost money, but I remember there was some special bond measure/taxing zone in the stadium area that was voted on and put into place? AJM? Gary? Any other ASUs?

Including the canopy, cost could run as high as $300 million, although the price tag is not yet fixed. What is certain, though, is that the university has an ongoing funding source for athletic capital projects in place through the creation of an athletic-facilities district.

Approved by the Arizona Legislature in spring 2010, the 400-acre district covers ASU-owned land from Tempe Marketplace to College Avenue and Tempe Town Lake to University Boulevard. Developers will pay a fee similar to a property tax to provide revenue not only for Sun Devil Stadium but improvements at Wells Fargo Arena and on other athletic facilities. ASU remains in negotiations with the Chicago Cubs for the school's baseball team to share the Cubs' new spring-training facility at Riverview Park in Mesa starting in 2014.

"We know the key thing in developing of the district is this world-class sports arena," Crow said. "We don't want to say what we're thinking about doing, we want to say this is what we're going to do. We want major developers to know we're moving ahead with the stadium. It's all interconnected. We know we can get it done, it's just how do we get it started?"

LINK

The new AD was basically responsible and involved in every stage of building Reliant Stadium in Houston. Now obviously the NFL and ASU are far different things in some areas, but I think he has the ability to get it done.

While there is an stadium thread, part of the tax zone you did not mention.

In November, Maricopa County did set up the special tax zone on ASU owned commercial property. This will most likely be challenged in court.

Well that was the police report, so if the unioversity decides to do more, those will come by the hundreds.

However, the wedding page for Jessica Dorrell is now inactive.

Also, when Petrino spoke this week, why was he wearing a hat from the Allstate Sugar Bowl, a game he f'ing lost two seasons ago?

Just read news on the Atlanta Journal Constitution website that the Georgia State Panthers have accepted an invitation to join the Sun Belt in 2013. Big news. They've only been playing football for two years.

Glad to hear.

I know their coach Bill Curry took the job out of favor to the state in order to help get the school to the D1A level and I know he's done alot to try to help promote the program so I would say he deserves thanks above anyone.

Well that was the police report, so if the unioversity decides to do more, those will come by the hundreds.

However, the wedding page for Jessica Dorrell is now inactive.

Also, when Petrino spoke this week, why was he wearing a hat from the Allstate Sugar Bowl, a game he f'ing lost two seasons ago?

1. Because its the flipping Sugar Bowl

2. Because playing in the Sugar Bowl was kind of a big deal for Arkansas

3. Because locals can pretend its a forfeit win after Ohio State's "troubles".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Just read news on the Atlanta Journal Constitution website that the Georgia State Panthers have accepted an invitation to join the Sun Belt in 2013. Big news. They've only been playing football for two years.

Glad to hear.

I know their coach Bill Curry took the job out of favor to the state in order to help get the school to the D1A level and I know he's done alot to try to help promote the program so I would say he deserves thanks above anyone.

We have a thread on this page regarding realignment within D-1. It was available to use,

Great... now Atlanta can have a choice of local FBS programs to ignore in favor of the SEC team up the highway.

I'm excited about it.

$Texas

LINK

While there is an stadium thread, part of the tax zone you did not mention.

In November, Maricopa County did set up the special tax zone on ASU owned commercial property. This will most likely be challenged in court.

Yeah, the tax zone was set up for ASU owned property but has not been mentioned much since...it could be challenged in court but I can't really comment much further on that. Not much else has been mentioned about the athletic district either, which is the land that the Karsten Golf course sits on.

More info here.

https://asunews.asu.edu/20100927_sportsinthenews_athleticcomplex

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/articles/2010/09/26/20100926asu-michael-crow-envisions-world-class-amateur-athletic-complex.html

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Great... now Atlanta can have a choice of local FBS programs to ignore in favor of the SEC team up the highway.

Georgia Tech fans ignore attending home football games as it is.....

Archived