2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

There is a very real possibility that Florida State or Oklahoma could sneak in the BCS title game depending on the outcome of the LSU-Bama and USC-UO games. Seeing Stanford and Notre Dame at #9 and #11 respectively makes them both overrated. I would love to see the Irish make a BCS bowl game, but it's still early in the season.

And then the Irish would get WTF PWNED by West Virginia as always. OK, wait, actually that would be awesome.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, VT's chances in the Top 25 are decreased with a humiliating loss to the same Pitt team that lost to Youngstown State.

You're acting as if YSU is some random FCS team as opposed to one with one of the best offenses in the division...

Irish look good...

For once, the defense actually seems to be competent. Actually, better than so. If ND's going anywhere this year, it's behind the defense. I'm suddenly excited for this Saturday night. (But I think we know it'll all be for naught once again :P)

6fQjS3M.png

Well, VT's chances in the Top 25 are decreased with a humiliating loss to the same Pitt team that lost to Youngstown State.

You're acting as if YSU is some random FCS team as opposed to one with one of the best offenses in the division...

In fairness, I don't think many of us follow FCS very closely. So I don't think it was likely that he knew YSU had a great offense (hell, I didn't know they had a great offense).

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

If we didn't need more for evidence of ESPN's obsession with Penn State. They'll be on ESPN/ABC for the fourth consecutive week, and third straight week of being nationally shown on ABC, and we haven't even gotten to Big Ten conference play yet.

Week 1 vs. Ohio - Understood

Week 2 @ Virginia - Really?

Week 3 vs. Navy - :censored:

Week 4 vs. Temple - Jokes.

I know Clemson/FSU is the late game on ABC, but Arizona is also playing Oregon, couldn't that muster a 3:30pm ET time slot over their 10:30pm ET time slot?

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

If we didn't need more for evidence of ESPN's obsession with Penn State. They'll be on ESPN/ABC for the fourth consecutive week, and third straight week of being nationally shown on ABC, and we haven't even gotten to Big Ten conference play yet.

I know Clemson/FSU is the late game on ABC, but Arizona is also playing Oregon, couldn't that muster a 3:30pm ET time slot over their 10:30pm ET time slot?

Week 5 @ Illinois they get stuck in the noon slot on ESPN/2

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Please propose the games you would air instead, making note of which games were already spoken for and the need to draw in a fanbase of similar size to Penn State's.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Please propose the games you would air instead, making note of which games were already spoken for and the need to draw in a fanbase of similar size to Penn State's.

Hoosier guy's onto something here.

Maybe, just maybe, the networks care about viewership and ratings. I'll go out on a limb and say that teams with large national followings will probably put butts in seats (couches?) and help them pay the advertising bills.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Miami vs Georgia Tech.

But if the really wanted to maximize their ratings, they could've put OSU vs UCLA on ABC, and Penn State vs Temple on ESPN. Not everyone has ESPN2.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Miami and Georgia Tech's fanbases combined don't match Penn State's fanbase. And Miami's kind of derelict this year anyway.

Today, we are all otaku.

Miami and Georgia Tech's fanbases combined don't match Penn State's fanbase. And Miami's kind of derelict this year anyway.

I think you're over estimating Penn State's fanbase. I realize that Miami sucks, but they are still Miami.

I think you're over estimating Penn State's fanbase. I realize that Miami sucks, but they are still Miami.

miamicrowd.jpg

This was taken during Saturday's game. Miami doesn't have a fanbase. Shoot, I'd argue Georgia Tech has a larger fanbase than the hurricanes. And Penn State has a very strong following in a very populous state and region.

Today, we are all otaku.

You know what Miami is right now? Irrelevant. Sure Penn State was in the news for the wrong reasons this past year, but at least they're intriguing. People are more likely to tune in for them out of curiosity rather then a dull team. I'll admit, I've never liked the U, but they've fallen hard the last 10 years. Did them moving away from the Orange Bowl helped to kill their fanbase?

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

miamicrowd.jpg

This was taken during Saturday's game. Miami doesn't have a fanbase. Shoot, I'd argue Georgia Tech has a larger fanbase than the hurricanes. And Penn State has a very strong following in a very populous state and region.

You have to admit that they were playing in the afternoon and the attendance would increase if it was at night.

You know what Miami is right now? Irrelevant. Sure Penn State was in the news for the wrong reasons this past year, but at least they're intriguing. People are more likely to tune in for them out of curiosity rather then a dull team. I'll admit, I've never liked the U, but they've fallen hard the last 10 years. Did them moving away from the Orange Bowl helped to kill their fanbase?

The Orange Bowl was one thing, but it was the loss to Louisville and the FIU brawl that helped end the U's dominance. When you looked to Miami at the recruiting level, they lost their edge to other schools such as Florida, Florida State, Clemson, and even Louisville. Combine all these with the sanctions, and Miami is losing fans in an instant.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Sun Life Stadium is about 25 miles away from the campus. That doesn't help things at all.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

At this point, people are watching to see how bad they are.

Night games are still sparsely attended and 25 miles from campus does help but just like every other college football team, the majority of the asses in seats are non-students. They've been abandoned by Miami and all of South Florida as is the custom down there when a team sucks ass.

When I was at Sun Life in 08 it was 50/50 for the FSU game, 2010 looked at least 55/45 FSU. I would not be surprised if FSU fans outnumber UM fans again this year.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Hell I know people that wouldn't go five miles for a Tulane game at the dome. Stadiums on campus/very close by make a big difference. So does not sucking and playing in an appropraite sized facility (15000 in the Superdome is just weird)

We don't get ESPN up here obviously, it's very seldom that TSN2, Score or Sportsnet picks up an ESPN televised game (Noon ET game is about it) but Oregon State/UCLA is the other game on ABC at 3:30. I don't remember it being this bad, it really started when ABC stopped producing their own sports and had ESPN do all of it, with the ABC logo branded right beside the ESPN. I get that they're the apart of the same holding company, but that's when it really started being this bad in my eyes.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Hell I know people that wouldn't go five miles for a Tulane game at the dome. Stadiums on campus/very close by make a big difference. So does not sucking and playing in an appropraite sized facility (15000 in the Superdome is just weird)

Hopefully in 2014, Tulane will get a new stadium almost right next to the campus.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Archived