2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

Arizona State University Announces New Look For Sun Devil Stadium

Patterson and Graham met with media, fans and staff on Wednesday to share some of the basics of the revitalized stadium in addition to some of the initial renderings of the updated and upgraded stadium, which will remain in its iconic location in between the Buttes in Tempe.

The renderings are not finalized, but the tentative plan would create a shade canopy over the stadium that will allow the passage of natural light and the passage of air into the stadium while also allowing the Sun Devils to play day games earlier in the year to accommodate Pac-12 Network obligations.

The addition of the shade canopy, in addition to other alterations, will decrease seating to an area between 55,000 and 65,000 seats. As such, larger seats will be provided with more leg room and the potential of more seats with a seat back.

The stadium will be updated with a state-of-the-art sound system, video board and scoreboards, and ADA amenities and features.

----

The cost of the stadium has not been determined at this time. There are also two different options available for the build: one that would allow the team and fans to stay in Sun Devil Stadium during construction or another that would move ASU out of the stadium for a season or two that would allow time to complete the project faster. The stadium can be built in up to five stages, but a timetable has not been establish as yet.

LINK

Shade? Seat backs? Improved amenities?

Thank Jesus.

Got the opportunity to see these earlier in the week at a meeting...seems like than plan/photos are initially well-received by the public.

I need to stop whining about an Ohio State or Bowling Green game in the 80's opening weekend...Arizona State still plays in 100's

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You reap what you sow. You hire a Decetful liar, don't be surprised when he deceits you with a big lie that blows up in your face.

Oh and Petrino was informed he was fired via letter. That is called irony my friends

Petrino is a pig after all...

I saw, I came, I left.

Who will Arkansas pick for their new Head Coach?

They'll probably go with an interim coach (likely promoting a coordinator/assistant coach) for the season. I'd think they'll give Gus Malzahn (a native Arkansas man) a call after the season and see if he'd like to stay in-state and coach a real football team.

They'll probably go with an interim coach (likely promoting a coordinator/assistant coach) for the season. I'd think they'll give Gus Malzahn (a native Arkansas man) a call after the season and see if he'd like to stay in-state and coach a real football team.

They could go intern but I wouldn't put it past them to go after somebody like a Jim Tressel.

I would think anyone could and would be a potential target though. Just depends on how aggressive Arkansas wants to be in finding a new coach. Could do the Ohio State thing where they basically go year without a coach or they go after some big names right away.

Jim Tressel? You think Arkansas is going to hire a controversial coach after they just fired Petrino?

They'll hire a coach that doesn't yet have the reputation of being a liar or a cheat. If they wanted a coach that puts winning above integrity, they would have kept Petrino.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Jim Tressel? You think Arkansas is going to hire a controversial coach after they just fired Petrino?

They'll hire a coach that doesn't yet have the reputation of being a liar or a cheat. If they wanted a coach that puts winning above integrity, they would have kept Petrino.

In the SEC? Yeah I could see it.

I wouldn't put them past trying anything. Most people there I think just want to win games. Beyond that who cares. Just don't get program violations.

They could go intern but I wouldn't put it past them to go after somebody like a Jim Tressel.

I would think anyone could and would be a potential target though. Just depends on how aggressive Arkansas wants to be in finding a new coach. Could do the Ohio State thing where they basically go year without a coach or they go after some big names right away.

There's too many off-the-field distractions to bother bringing in a new coach in April. Obviously, a coach search will take time. Filling out a coaching staff will take time. Moving a coaching staff's family takes time. The coaching staff won't get to hold practices (and implement their systems) with the players until the summer.

Arkansas will be more successful if they keep the rest of the coaching staff in place, at least for this season. Best-case scenario, the team plays well and the interim gets to shed that label at the end of the year. Worst thing that happens, the team has a bad year, but the AD is already well-prepared in the search of a new permanent head coach.

I wouldn't put them past trying anything. Most people there I think just want to win games. Beyond that who cares. Just don't get program violations.

Again, if people there just wanted to win games, they would have kept Petrino.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Kinda like what Tressel just left Ohio State with?

There's too many off-the-field distractions to bother bringing in a new coach in April. Obviously, a coach search will take time. Filling out a coaching staff will take time. Moving a coaching staff's family takes time. The coaching staff won't get to hold practices (and implement their systems) with the players until the summer.

Arkansas will be more successful if they keep the rest of the coaching staff in place, at least for this season. Best-case scenario, the team plays well and the interim gets to shed that label at the end of the year. Worst thing that happens, the team has a bad year, but the AD is already well-prepared in the search of a new permanent head coach.

I'll give it about 80/20 they go the Ohio State route versus hiring a new coach right away.

They really would have to have their sights dialed in on somebody coming out of the gates in order for them to hire a coach they would want, which they might. I would imagine most every college in football at this point has a short list of guys to contact if they need a new head coach as you mentioned. Maybe they don't get any of those right away in which case they go the Ohio State plan B, but then again maybe they'll hit paydirt with somebody. They'll probably calling some of those guys asking for interviews right now.

I do think there would be enough time for a new coach to hire a staff by the time summer practices come around. Worst case scenario they just hire the head coach and worry about the staff next year which even that I could see being workable.

I think it all depends on what direction they want to go in. I would look to hire a new coach right away but if I didn't get a commitment for the 2012 season and beyond by the end of next week from somebody I would want then I would go for the intern route and focus on getting a coach for 2013.

Okay and? Hasn't stopped many teams before.

He was able to keep his job through the Clarett scandal.

Its unlikely granted, but again I don't anything past an SEC team trying.

No, Arkansas would like to actually avoid having at third consecutive coach whose career implodes in a soap opratic manner. That means no Tressel, no Bowden, and especially no Gus Malzahn; between his crazy wife and the bad memories of his role in "The Fall of Nutt" Malzahn is a non-starter.

They'll likely rescue Garrick McGee from his no-win position at Alabama-Birmingham instead.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Okay and? Hasn't stopped many teams before.

He was able to keep his job through the Clarett scandal.

Its unlikely granted, but again I don't anything past an SEC team trying.

In case you've forgotten, Mr. Sweatervest is still under a goddamn show cause penalty. And an SEC school is going to have to show one heck of a lot of cause to hire somebody under one of those. And again, this ignores that 1) Arkansas would like to avoid hiring a coach with massive baggage and 2) Tresselball would be a disaster at Arkansas; it's boring and heavily dependent on Arkansas having superior talent than the opposition-which is somewhat problematic given SEC fanbases and how Arkansas has natural talent disadvantages compared to Alabama and LSU in particular.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

While it is a show cause for five years, his penalty is really just for five weeks/games and any post season action. Any school can still hire him and face a penalty, but if tOSU only lost nine scholarships (which amounts to three a season), the hiring school won't get anything equal.

He cannot be a part of the program for that time in terms of contact with players and staff but he would still be able to recruit.

From the NCAA COI report on Ohio State:

As set forth in Finding B-2, the committee found that the former head coach violated NCAA ethical conduct standards when he failed to report his knowledge of NCAA violations and in doing so, permitted football student-athletes to participate in intercollegiate athletics competition while ineligible during the 2010 season. That season culminated in a Big Ten Conference Championship and an appearance in a Bowl Championship Series (BCS) postseason contest. Further, in

September 2010, the former head coach falsely attested that he reported to the institution any knowledge of NCAA violations when he signed the institution's certification of compliance form, which is required under Bylaw 18.4.2.1.1.4. Therefore, the former head coach will be informed in writing by the NCAA that, due to his involvement in violations of NCAA legislation found in this case, the committee imposes a five-year show-cause period upon him pursuant to NCAA Bylaw 19.5.2-(k). During the period, which begins December 20, 2011, and concludes on December 19, 2016, the committee restricts the athletically related duties of the former head coach as follows:

a. He shall be suspended from all coaching duties for the first five games during the initial year he is employed as well as any postseason contest(s) during that year. During this suspension, the former head coach shall not be present in the venue where the games are played and shall not have any contact with other members of the coaching staff or any football student-athletes while the games are ongoing. Further, the head coach may not participate in any activities that are defined as "coaching," including, but not limited to, team travel, practice, video review and team meetings. The suspension from the first five contests includes all coaching activities commencing when the team reports for fall practice through the

conclusion of the fifth game. The suspension from the postseason contests commences at the end of the last regular season contest and expires at the conclusion of the final postseason contest.

[NOTE: Postseason includes both a conference championship contest and a bowl game.]

b. Any employing institution shall file within 60 days of hiring the former head coach (or, if he is employed at a member institution presently, 60 days after the release of this case), a report with the office of the Committees on Infractions detailing how it will monitor the former head coach so as to prevent a recurrence of the violations set forth in this report,

as well as information documenting compliance with the restrictions imposed. Thereafter, the institution shall file reports every six months until the end of the show-cause period, detailing its efforts to monitor the former head coach. If an institution chooses to contest these sanctions, itshall schedule an appearance before the Committee on Infractions to show cause why such restrictions should not be implemented.

The other shoe is dropping in Arkansas, as Jessica Dorrell has been put on paid administrative leave by the U of A, presumably a prelude to getting the axe herself.

Reportedly the university also offered Dorrell a first-class bus ticket out of town, but she turned it down, saying ?Thanks, but I only ride coach.? :rimshot:

CCSLC signature.png

The other shoe is dropping in Arkansas, as Jessica Dorrell has been put on paid administrative leave by the U of A, presumably a prelude to getting the axe herself.

I do not think she is going to get fired. They are keeping her on staff as they work (independently or with her council) on an employment settlement with conditions not to sue the University or discuss the terms of the settlement. If they fire her, then they will be in court or back to the table for a settlement.

She was only an employee for the University since March 23. She worked for the University of Arkansas Foundation prior to that, but the Foundation is a separate 501c-3 from the University.

Maybe maybe not.

A morals clause is pretty standard for a college coach, but I'm not sure about somebody who just works in the athletic department at whatever menial job she does. (insert joke here) May have some rule against inter-office relations they could nail on her. Don't really know, don't really care for that matter either. She can't come back to Arkansas and her career in sports is over anyway you look at it. She may not even be able to get a job period because of this. I would not hire a known adulterer for a mid to low level position.

Maybe maybe not.

A morals clause is pretty standard for a college coach, but I'm not sure about somebody who just works in the athletic department at whatever menial job she does. (insert joke here) May have some rule against inter-office relations they could nail on her. Don't really know, don't really care for that matter either. She can't come back to Arkansas and her career in sports is over anyway you look at it. She may not even be able to get a job period because of this. I would not hire a known adulterer for a mid to low level position.

Her career in sports is not over since her previous job with the Foundation was fundraising/sales. If she can sell, she could get a job. That said, at 26, she should take a settlement and go into pharmaceutical sales and make real $$$.

Petrino was under contract with Arkansas as an Administrator, while Dorrell was an "at will" employee aka Staff or for the short time she was on payroll before her administrative leave. All of that plays out here, the University's HR Manual.

More and more is coming out regarding her hire, but none of that is really the fault of her, the applicant. Also remember while ~160 people applied for the job, that does not mean that all met the preferred requirements for the position, however the two other was a finalists had much more.

SI goes through a lot of this and how both the AD and HR let it go through last month. Plus not all of the FOIA requests have yet to be filled/approved.

From SI:

Records show that on March 12, Carrie DeBriyn, the human resources manager for Arkansas athletics, e-mailed the university's Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance to ask that the hiring process be expedited at Petrino's behest. The e-mail said, "Coach Petrino would like to request to interview early due to needing a Player Development Coordinator as quickly as possible." Without filling the position quickly, DeBriyn wrote, "we could potentially make a recruiting error with NCAA rules and regulations." At 10:44 a.m. that same day, approval was granted to interview candidates. According to records, however, Dorrell's interviews had already been scheduled and were set to begin at 9:30 that same morning.

According to his resume, Wilkerson completed a master's degree in sports management at LSU in August 2011. He also had the most extensive football background. Wilkerson was a four-year starter at offensive line at LSU, from 2001 to '04. He was part of the school's 2004 national championship team and was named a first-team All-America. He went on to play for the Cincinnati Bengals in 2005 and '06, and for the Atlanta Falcons in 2007 and '08. Petrino was Atlanta's head coach in '07. At the time he applied for the Arkansas job, Wilkerson was an intern with the LSU football program. Wilkerson, who joined Grambling State as offensive line coach this month, did not want to comment specifically on the Arkansas situation. "I'm ready to just go on," he told SI.com. "Of course I interviewed for the position, but I'd rather not discuss it because of the whole thing ... I'm starting a new job now and that's my focal point."

Polite says he is disappointed that Wilkerson, who is African-American, was apparently the runner-up in an unfair process. There is "a lack of representation of African-American males in player development positions ... hiring is often not based on merit."

Fields, the third finalist, has two master's degrees from Arkansas, one in communication and one in education, and is currently a law school student at the law school. She worked as a tutor at Arkansas for student athletes, and since '09 had been an Arkansas recruiting assistant and helped organize summer football camps -- which is one of the player development coordinator's duties -- recruiting visits, and team travel. Petrino is listed among Fields's references.

Dorrell's resume, unlike the other two, makes no specific mention of the job requirements, but does mention other traits, like "fundraising skills" that are not part of the Arkansas job listing. At the time of her application, according to her resume, the former All-SEC volleyball player was working as the assistant director for women's athletics at the Razorback Foundation, and before that worked as a graduate assistant in the athletic department.

According to the records, Dorrell met with director of football operations Mark Robinson at 9:30 a.m. on March 12. After a second meeting at 10:15 a.m. with members of the football staff, Dorrell met with Petrino at 11. Her final meeting was at 1:30 p.m. with Jason Shumaker, director of high school relations, and Kevin Peoples, defensive tackles coach.

Archived