2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

All those losses are by the likes of an underachieving Arkansas, a piss poor Auburn and Kentucky. Not exactly SEC elites. So cool your jets.

SEC fans often say this, but then they still want the whole conference to be judged by some members' national titles and big wins. Doesn't work that way.

I see that online a lot about conference pride. Maybe they're spoiled about the 6 straight Nattys. I praise Texas A&M for nearly shutting up those annoying fans when they beat Bama and allowed the Quack Attack (Oregon) and K-State to move up. That 10-2 record against the Sun Belt should have been 9-3 because Auburn didn't deserve to win against ULM.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly 75% of the SEC's non-conference games have been against non-AQ conferences or FCS opponents.

I think it also bears some investigation as to when those games are played. The SEC has long been scheduling match ups against Samford, Citadel or Grambling in Weeks 10-14. This allows a front-runner to emerge earlier than other conferences and they garner more media love. Shrewd.

Ironically though, that practice is hurting them in 2012. With 3 other undefeated teams out there, the SEC is struggling for quality wins late in the season. While Alabama is buying a win over Western Carolina, Oregon will likely be taking a tough Stanford team to the woodshed.

Looks like the SEC's scheduling hijinx may come back to bite them.

I can't remember the last time there were this many out-of-conference games for SEC teams so late in the year (outside of the in-state annual rivalry games). Florida plays 2 non-conference games between their 8th SEC game and Florida State....Georgia's playing a non-conference game between their last SEC game and Georgia Tech (which I know is a rarity)......

I'm pretty sure this scheduling quirk is the result of fitting in Texas A&M and Missouri into the football schedules of 14 schools. Usually, the majority of the conference plays most of their OOC games in September, with another sprinkled in during the middle of the year for homecoming, and playing the in-state rival in the final week.

Only three conference games in the SEC this week...and no team has a bye. That is definitely not the norm.

Does it really matter when you play your cupcakes (and every team has them)? If it does matter, why is the method the SEC chooses...one early, one late...the "wrong and evil" way to go about it?

Nebraska could have played Idaho this weekend.

One thing to consider in the ACC or SEC- a lot of the last games are rivalry games and a good bit are non-conference: UGA/GT, Florida/FSU, Carolina/Clemson, and Vanderbilt/Wake as of late.

I also think there has to be a point when you look at body of work rather than wins and losses. People go crazy when a 3 loss team is ranked above a 2 loss or 1 loss team. Why is it hard to understand that everyone doesn't play on an even playing field in terms of competition? You have to rank on merit and not just W/L.

My Gamecocks are on track for their second best season in school history in the toughest conference in America and in the Top 10 in rankings- close losses to 2 teams in the Top 10 as well...but the best we are hoping for right now? Maybe Outback? Likely Peach or Gator? Having to please everyone by automatic conference tie-in invites to large bowl games bothers me when we also have a ranking system in place (whether you like the BCS or not).

But they didn't.

And the SEC doesn't have a body of work other than beating other teams in the SEC.

Your reply is confusing. Everyone knows they didn't- I was saying they could have played their cupcake late in the season.

"Beating teams in the SEC" is apparently considered quite the body of work to voters and those involved in ranking teams. To help you understand, what exactly would be Oregon's body of work outside of the Pac-12? Again, my point is during most seasons- most teams play their season schedule plus a couple of cupcakes.

Does it really matter when you play your cupcakes (and every team has them)? If it does matter, why is the method the SEC chooses...one early, one late...the "wrong and evil" way to go about it?

Nebraska could have played Idaho this weekend.

One thing to consider in the ACC or SEC- a lot of the last games are rivalry games and a good bit are non-conference: UGA/GT, Florida/FSU, Carolina/Clemson, and Vanderbilt/Wake as of late.

I also think there has to be a point when you look at body of work rather than wins and losses. People go crazy when a 3 loss team is ranked above a 2 loss or 1 loss team. Why is it hard to understand that everyone doesn't play on an even playing field in terms of competition? You have to rank on merit and not just W/L.

My Gamecocks are on track for their second best season in school history in the toughest conference in America and in the Top 10 in rankings- close losses to 2 teams in the Top 10 as well...but the best we are hoping for right now? Maybe Outback? Likely Peach or Gator? Having to please everyone by automatic conference tie-in invites to large bowl games bothers me when we also have a ranking system in place (whether you like the BCS or not).

But they didn't.

And the SEC doesn't have a body of work other than beating other teams in the SEC.

Your reply is confusing. Everyone knows they didn't- I was saying they could have played their cupcake late in the season.

"Beating teams in the SEC" is apparently considered quite the body of work to voters and those involved in ranking teams. To help you understand, what exactly would be Oregon's body of work outside of the Pac-12? Again, my point is during most seasons- most teams play their season schedule plus a couple of cupcakes.

Beat an 8-3 Fresno State team who if they beat Ari Force next week, will be the Mountain West Champions, and a 7-3 Arkansas State team who is probably going to win the Sun Belt, which is much more than what most SEC schools have played. And the only reason we played Tennessee Tech is because Kansas State backed out. My point is that most of the SEC doesn't challenge itself in out of conference play. Hell, Florida hasn't played a non conference game outside the state of Florida since I think the 90s.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Exactly 75% of the SEC's non-conference games have been against non-AQ conferences or FCS opponents.

I think it also bears some investigation as to when those games are played. The SEC has long been scheduling match ups against Samford, Citadel or Grambling in Weeks 10-14. This allows a front-runner to emerge earlier than other conferences and they garner more media love. Shrewd.

Ironically though, that practice is hurting them in 2012. With 3 other undefeated teams out there, the SEC is struggling for quality wins late in the season. While Alabama is buying a win over Western Carolina, Oregon will likely be taking a tough Stanford team to the woodshed.

Looks like the SEC's scheduling hijinx may come back to bite them.

I can't remember the last time there were this many out-of-conference games for SEC teams so late in the year (outside of the in-state annual rivalry games). Florida plays 2 non-conference games between their 8th SEC game and Florida State....Georgia's playing a non-conference game between their last SEC game and Georgia Tech (which I know is a rarity)......

I'm pretty sure this scheduling quirk is the result of fitting in Texas A&M and Missouri into the football schedules of 14 schools. Usually, the majority of the conference plays most of their OOC games in September, with another sprinkled in during the middle of the year for homecoming, and playing the in-state rival in the final week.

Only three conference games in the SEC this week...and no team has a bye. That is definitely not the norm.

The "SEC-Socon challenge series" has been a November fixture the last few years sir.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The "SEC-Socon challenge series" has been a November fixture the last few years sir.

Exactly rams. It's a time honored tradition! It has nothing to do with SEC teams wanting wins late in the season. Their ancestors have done this for years, so why stop now?

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

I have no problem with ACC-SEC games like Florida/FSU or UGA/GT. Those games are against quality competition.

I have a problem with any team playing a cupcake in Week 11 or 13, effectively "buying" an extra BYE. Alabama playing Western Carolina this week is just an extra scrimmage to prep for Auburn.

I understand there are scheduling quirks and sometimes things have to be scheduled a certain way, but I really wish the NCAA would at least mandate that games against FCS teams must be finished before Week 10.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Actually n/m -- none of the arguing over ND is going anywhere.

Some FCS schools like to schedule games against stout FBS schools right before the playoffs to get themselves prepared for tense situations.

And what says the FBS schools are required to play the FCS schools whenever the FCS schools want to play...?

6fQjS3M.png

Not quite sure what you're getting at.

I don't quite buy the "cupcake November games" argument, because games against FCS teams count the same in the BCS formula, regardless of when the game is played. And ultimately, all scheduled non-conference games get placed and finalized after the conference schedule gets sorted out. So there's going to be times when FBS vs. FCS games are going to be played in November because neither school was able to fit the game onto their schedule before then.

I have no problem with ACC-SEC games like Florida/FSU or UGA/GT. Those games are against quality competition.

I have a problem with any team playing a cupcake in Week 11 or 13, effectively "buying" an extra BYE. Alabama playing Western Carolina this week is just an extra scrimmage to prep for Auburn.

I understand there are scheduling quirks and sometimes things have to be scheduled a certain way, but I really wish the NCAA would at least mandate that games against FCS teams must be finished before Week 10.

I don't understand this. I think I have posed this a few posts back, but:

Help me understand why it matters WHEN you play a "cupcake"? You either beat a cupcake in Week 2 by 48 points and show your team is ready...or you beat them by 48 in Week 11 and get a break before your last big game. Same result (unless you are Michigan).

If the SEC's way about it is unfair and wrong in the minds of outsiders, but not the NCAA, then why doesn't everyone else just follow suit? Or is this just another anit-SEC rant?

The best solution would be to not let AQ teams play FCS teams, IMO. And no team should play more than one FCS team a season. /ifirantheworld

These FCS teams NEED to play these games in order to keep their programs around. Hell, Northern Iowa essentially cost themselves much of a chance at a playoff berth this year because the Athletic Department needed to play two FBS AQ teams in order to make enough money to keep the program going.

6fQjS3M.png

Not quite sure what you're getting at.

I don't quite buy the "cupcake November games" argument, because games against FCS teams count the same in the BCS formula, regardless of when the game is played. And ultimately, all scheduled non-conference games get placed and finalized after the conference schedule gets sorted out. So there's going to be times when FBS vs. FCS games are going to be played in November because neither school was able to fit the game onto their schedule before then.

Somehow the "SEC Gauntlet" argument y'alls like to trot out seems a little lessened when teams get to brutalize a I-AA cupcake in the middle of the Conference schedule.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

OU just got DESTROYED in the second half by Ball State which makes us 1-3 since our big fancy 5 page spread in Sports Illustrated proclaiming Ohio University as "The Next Boise State". The SI curse is very very real....or more likely, OU was never that good and the article severely jumped the gun.

Either way, this blows.

PvO6ZWJ.png

That's too bad. But it really goes to show that the MAC is getting more and more intense, alot of parity in that conference. Stating the obvious, but easily the best non-AQ conference

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

OU just got DESTROYED in the second half by Ball State which makes us 1-3 since our big fancy 5 page spread in Sports Illustrated proclaiming Ohio University as "The Next Boise State". The SI curse is very very real....or more likely, OU was never that good and the article severely jumped the gun.

Either way, this blows.

You're telling me. Remember when DeAnthony Thomas was a Heisman candidate?

That's too bad. But it really goes to show that the MAC is getting more and more intense, alot of parity in that conference. Stating the obvious, but easily the best non-AQ conference

From an entertainment standpoint? Yes.

From a quality standpoint? Oh hell no.

Today, we are all otaku.

The MAC is fun if you turn your brain off and ignore the rest of College Football outside of the MAC.

As a graduate and fan of a MAC school, I root for them to win the MAC and to win their bowl game. I'm under no delusion that they'll contend for the national championship.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived