2012 NCAA Football thread

Kevin W.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll be disappointed if Gruden leaves the Monday Night booth to try his hand in the SEC. I feel as if that's where control-hungry coawrds go when they realize they can't hack it in the NFL. Saban, Petrino, Kiffin come to mind right away. Gruden doesn't exactly fit that mold.

6uXNWAo.png

Ah yes, Oregon's one weakness. Team's playing incredible defense with a great gameplan. How foolish of him to fall for that :rolleyes:

Well, gee, you'd think that after years of season-derailing losses to Boise State, Auburn, LSU, and now Stanford where the common theme is Oregon getting outrushed, Chip "Genius" Kelly would realize this and adjust accordingly, instead of calling run play after run play in the 4th quarter and overtime.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

FCS Playoffs

First Round

Eastern Illinois at South Dakota State

Coastal Carolina at Bethune-Cookman

Villanova at Stony Brook

Colgate at Wagner

Second Round

Eastern Illinois or South Dakota State at North Dakota State

New Hampshire at Wofford

Central Arkansas at Georgia Southern

Coastal Carolina or Bethune-Cookman at Old Dominion

Villanova or Stony Brook at Montana State

Cal Poly at Sam Houston State

Illinois State at Appalachian State

Colgate or Wagner at Eastern Washington

I sense Tennessee is really gonna go after Gruden now that Dooley's got the axe.

The firing couldn't come soon enough for them. Winless in the SEC, something like 1-13 in their last couple SEC games.

The Only United Football League fan in the Universe.

Ponies on Saturday. Football on Sunday. Mystery meat on Monday.

Ah yes, Oregon's one weakness. Team's playing incredible defense with a great gameplan. How foolish of him to fall for that :rolleyes:

Well, gee, you'd think that after years of season-derailing losses to Boise State, Auburn, LSU, and now Stanford where the common theme is Oregon getting outrushed, Chip "Genius" Kelly would realize this and adjust accordingly, instead of calling run play after run play in the 4th quarter and overtime.

I said that Chip's playcalling was bad. I'm just saying that Oregon wasn't "exposed" by an overtime loss to a highly ranked team.

And it isn't even totally Kelly's fault. Our inside runs actually had some success, but he can't control players trying to bounce it outside when he calls an inside run all the time, as all of this players did. He also can't control Marcus Mariota rolling to sideline instead of staying in the pocket and delivering a throw.

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

FCS Playoffs

First Round

Villanova at Stony Brook

Colgate at Wagner

Second Round

Eastern Illinois or South Dakota State at North Dakota State

New Hampshire at Wofford

Central Arkansas at Georgia Southern

Coastal Carolina or Bethune-Cookman at Old Dominion

Villanova or Stony Brook at Montana State

Cal Poly at Sam Houston State

Illinois State at Appalachian State

Colgate or Wagner at Eastern Washington

Go Montana St!

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

FCS Playoffs

First Round

Villanova at Stony Brook

Colgate at Wagner

Seems like a first round game always gets nationally televised during thanksgiving weekend. I wonder which 1st round game will get the Nat'l TV audience this years?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Tennessee will finish paying Phil Fulmer his $6M buyout on Dec. 31, only to start paying Dooley's $5M one, also over the course of four years. They just finished paying off Bruce Pearl and the old baseball coach but still have close to $1.5M in payments due to the former AD and a former position coach. All buyout monies are in an escrow account.

That said, Tennessee is also nearly tapped out in terms of athletic department financial reserves and ran a nearly $4M deficit last year and they had a lot of empty seats there this year too.

I thought that the plan to finally combine the men's and women's athletic departments was designed to SAVE money?

Tennessee will finish paying Phil Fulmer his $6M buyout on Dec. 31, only to start paying Dooley's $5M one, also over the course of four years. They just finished paying off Bruce Pearl and the old baseball coach but still have close to $1.5M in payments due to the former AD and a former position coach. All buyout monies are in an escrow account.

That said, Tennessee is also nearly tapped out in terms of athletic department financial reserves and ran a nearly $4M deficit last year and they had a lot of empty seats there this year too.

I thought that the plan to finally combine the men's and women's athletic departments was designed to SAVE money?

Don't see how they could get anyone good with such a shortage of cash. Insanity.

The Only United Football League fan in the Universe.

Ponies on Saturday. Football on Sunday. Mystery meat on Monday.

Remember that the base salary (university funds) is generally mid six figures ($375K) with the rest of it made up from outside sources aka "other compensation" (about $1.4M).

Other includes money from TV/radio appearances like a coach's show(s), money from equipment/apparel sponsors, other endorsements associated with the university and department

In other coaching news, Western Michigan fires Bill Cubit after a 51-49 record in eight seasons.

So, Western Michigan has been a relatively competitive program for the past 8 years, after being an absolute dormat, they have one bad year, and they fire their coach? Do they really think they're going to get someone better? Unless they know they have someone to replace him, I don't think this was a wise decision.

Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

BCS:

1) Notre Dame

2) Alabama

3) Georgia

4) Florida

5) Oregon

6) Kansas State

7) LSU

8) Stanford

9) Texas A&M

10) Florida State

And with the Matt Barkley news, you'd expect the national title game to stay on track as Notre Dame vs SEC champion.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Congratulations on going to the National Championship Notre Dame.

BCS:

1) Notre Dame

2) Alabama

3) Georgia

4) Florida

5) Oregon

6) Kansas State

7) LSU

8) Stanford

9) Texas A&M

10) Florida State

I am so glad that the projected BCS standings (which had K-State ahead of Oregon) were wrong. That really would've pissed me off.

My only gripe is the move from Stanford. I don't believe in the whole "you must move up" after a big win. They jumped 2 one-loss teams and 2 two-loss teams.

Stanford has two losses, one coming to Washington.

The two-loss teams they jumped are Texas A&M and South Carolina. My Gamecocks played like crap in their win Saturday, but they have 2 losses AT Florida and AT LSU. aTm has lost to the same teams but at home.

Then they jump one-loss FSU and Clemson. Yeah, the ACC sucks...but that is quite a jump for Stanford.

My only gripe is the move from Stanford. I don't believe in the whole "you must move up" after a big win. They jumped 2 one-loss teams and 2 two-loss teams.

Stanford has two losses, one coming to Washington.

The two-loss teams they jumped are Texas A&M and South Carolina. My Gamecocks played like crap in their win Saturday, but they have 2 losses AT Florida and AT LSU. aTm has lost to the same teams but at home.

Then they jump one-loss FSU and Clemson. Yeah, the ACC sucks...but that is quite a jump for Stanford.

Florida may have one loss, but their offense is a Superfund site at the moment. That hurts perception, as does LSU almost losing to Ole Miss last night.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived