Florida Gators Rebrand

The Fixer

I think the issue I have here is the angle of the neck. It appears as if its angled down like the body is vertical almost with the head as apposed to the horizontal nature of an alligator. I figure you're going for a look of the head snapping sideways so perhaps play with the appearance of the neck possibly giving it a more visible thickness instead of an applied one because the implication I get is of a skinny neck (like a dinosaur) that goes down not a thick neck of a gator snapping to the side. I thought I would like the subtraction of the ridges (not sure what to call the lump things on a gators back) but they do make the gator seem distinctly like a gator and not some other reptile for some reason so maybe add those back with some adjustment of placement. Overall its beautiful and not many people have the nads to take on such a classic logo so with some tweaks I think we'll be lookin at a winner!

wow thats the type of CC we need on these boards. thanks! I think you are right, but not exactly sure how messing with the neck is going to work...only one way to find out though

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Gator fanatic, I LOVE this concept. The Gator looks more mean and slick. I love the white gator logo as well. My only problem is the helmet. The Gator word mark has been on there so long, it looks wrong not to have it. Maybe make a Gator word mark? I don't know that's just how I feel as a Gator fan.

Champs-3.pngAppreciatethegame.png

"My name is Ignatius Peabody Nobel from East Westerton, Missouri.and this is my friend, um, Ted"

Here are 3 neck options. I think all are better than the current. which looks best and like it is "whipping its head to the side"? any other ideas? Please ignore the nose on this version. I realize C with the stripes looks like a raptor but I like it the ebst. and i will probably add more gator like spikes (rounder) so it looks like a gator and not like a raptor.

Gatorfinal3neckoptions.png

C by far. B looks like he's got a fang coming out of his neck.

Still need to fix the background behind the open jaw. Why is it white when the other backgrounds are orange? Is the alligator eating an egg?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Change the tongue color to something else, then make all the backgrounds orange. Or take out the tongue and just have the open jaw with orange background. Right now it looks really awkward.

There are ways to fix it and make it look better.

I'm glad you took my advice on the spikes, it looks so much better. A,B, and C are all good options but I think A might be my favorite. I agree with coloring the awkward white spot next to the Gator's tongue, it's just unecessary and it distracts from a great logo. Great job and I am looking forward to more.

spacer.png

Much much better! Not sure how to explain this but the ridges effect you're looking for could possibly be implemented by sharpening the curves on the back of its neck instead of having to add spikes. Looks fantastic as is though and I'm very curious to see if you'll take on the Gators script as well

Midway.png

I definitely think it's getting there. Its a beautiful logo don't get me wrong, but it just doesnt scream "gators" to me when I look at it. The neck is a definite improvement, keep playing around though cause you're like 95% there. I also think the depth of the eyes could be adjusted slightly to better represent an alligators because one thing that sticks out about alligators to me is the way the eyes "pop", but maybe thats just me. As I already said this is a great concept as-is and you could walk away now and it'd be one of the best to come across the concept board of late but I just think this has potential to be one of those concepts that makes you actually wanna replace a classic like UF's. Just spend some time looking at actual pictures of alligators and I think you could make the push!

hope this is it.... Gator4.png

Fantastic! The new neck is perfect and I am so glad you colored the white space. The only C&C I have left would be maybe consider adding one more bump on his back to make it look more even.

my thoughts exactly! thanks!

I don't know like you said Fixer if it's a "monitor issue", but using the official colors of the University of Florida R: 245 G: 120 B: 62 (Orange) and R: 1 G: 96 B: 169 (Blue) I am seeing something totally different.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick recolor of your concept with those colors and now the concept is really rocking...but with yours I see purple and I'm not feeling it, because Purple is not a Florida color.

notstealing.jpg

vitnagearkansas_zpssgaiinbt.jpg

Well...on my computer, it looks great. I love the bright blue (that is what I'm seeing)

BUT

I tried it on a different computer and it is completely purple. I assume this has to do with the file type. When I have the finished version i will upload a few different file types and hopefully you can see the blue that I see. The blue looks great on my monitor. It IS different than the official colors but that is what I wanted.

But for right now you are just going to have to trust me that it is a great looking blue and looks amazing with the green and orange I choose.

The latest updates are improvements. A few rough ridges on top of the nose and snout (matching the ridges you have on the neck) could help make it look more gator-like. I like the colors RDGraphics chose better, especially that green.

Anyway, if people are seeing purple, you cant tell them they are wrong for seeing purple. I see a purplish-blue.

hope this is it.... Gator4.png

Fantastic! The new neck is perfect and I am so glad you colored the white space. The only C&C I have left would be maybe consider adding one more bump on his back to make it look more even.

my thoughts exactly! thanks!

Looks really good! I like it.

Archived