Florida Gators Rebrand

The Fixer

As far as the colors go, I'm having the same issues myself re: purple. If you're using Illustrator and are using a spot blue, check the gradient band up above (or beneath, dependiong your setup) in the swatch panel very closely...if it seems there's even a hint of purple in that band, take out some red and add in a bit more green. That might help with the "purplish" issue.

As for the gator head...this really came together rather nicely! One thing is really bothering me, though, and its the notch right in front of the eye. If that's the implied other eyelid, I'd round it off; otherwise it looks more like the nub of a rhino horn (which might also be why some see a dragon first before a gator). Also, I'd look at opening the mouth just a tad wider than it is now, and putting more of an angle on that front eyelid, to give it more of a "mad" look. The length of the snout seems okay now; previously it seemed longer. For what its worth, alligators have shorter, broader snouts; crocodiles have longer, thinner snouts. Speaking of, I'd also look at just slightly elongating the length of the fourth tooth up top and second to last tooth down bottom, as these are also telltale signs of a gator. (Of course, only a Florida native would be able to tell you that, though. :P)

Overall, this logo is really coming along; keep working it. Several more little tweaks and it should be there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know like you said Fixer if it's a "monitor issue", but using the official colors of the University of Florida R: 245 G: 120 B: 62 (Orange) and R: 1 G: 96 B: 169 (Blue) I am seeing something totally different.

I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick recolor of your concept with those colors and now the concept is really rocking...but with yours I see purple and I'm not feeling it, because Purple is not a Florida color.

notstealing.jpg

i would love to see a chinese counterfeit with this using tebows name. perfect!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

thanks for the CC buc. will fix the eye in the next version. I hope i fixed the notch on the head. still pointed but hopefully not like a horn anymore.

Can you explain where to find the gradient thing so I can take out the purple? I am using the CMYK Blue Swatch that came with illustrator so I do not know what it is so purple. Some computers it seems more purple than others.

fix the blue?

Gator5.jpg

thanks for the CC buc. will fix the eye in the next version. I hope i fixed the notch on the head. still pointed but hopefully not like a horn anymore.

Can you explain where to find the gradient thing so I can take out the purple? I am using the CMYK Blue Swatch that came with illustrator so I do not know what it is so purple. Some computers it seems more purple than others.

fix the blue?

Gator5.jpg

YUP! that is blue! no more purple.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Nice concept. I'd lose the orange tongue as it detracts from the orange in the oval. I don't believe the tongue is an important part to a gator. Maybe make that part of his mouth closed a bit more. also the orange part under his chin doesn't seem to have any meaning. doesn't follow the shape of the oval.

Wow, this concept has come a long way with all of the updates!

Pretty much all of my initial concerns have been fixed in the updates. However, the one thing that still stands out to me that others haven't mentioned yet is that the tongue seems to be much higher in the mouth than it probably should. Although, since I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning it, It could just be me.

Other than that, solid logo!!!

2043050vl19qK6.gif

fix the blue?

Gator5.jpg

That's the blue they use alright. I kind of wish the school would go with more of saturated blue. Something like this:

gator5trueblue.png

png

Though I think your right with the color off being a file issue. I did a test and saved the recolor I just did as a png file, while the file below is a jpg:

gator5trueblue1.jpg

jpg

In addition I opened up the current gator head logo (svg file) in gimp and looks really purple, even thought it's supposed to be blue.

Either way, it's a great concept. My only issue and maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me, but the left part of the orange between the mouth kind of looks like fire coming out which might scream dragon to some. I think RD's white looks better.

THough if you're up to it, see what it looks like with a full orange oval behind the gator. Really cool concept. :)

Just for comparison I colored the school's current gatorhead logo with the true blue and the shade of orange and green you used and it looks awesome!! If you want I kind post it here... I might actually start using it and the logo you created as my wallpaper :)

Archived