Nippon Professional Baseball

Gfonk04

Links to each concept are at the end of this post...

Hello gang.

I'm a big baseball fan, and two years ago I had the opportunity to go to a Japanese baseball game in Yokohama. It was a great experience, and very different than an American game. I've followed the Hanshin Tigers since they opened the 2008 (I think) MLB season against Oakland in Japan, and I decided to do an overhaul of the team, followed quickly by make-over of the whole league. I was also partially inspired by an awesome series by Discrimihater from about three years ago (some of his concepts don't show up any more, but you can get the gist of it).

Since I'm convinced no one reads these intros past the first paragraph or two, I'll get right to it. The big changes revolve around ditching the current naming system, in which most teams are named for their corporate owners. I've also moved several teams to other cities around the country, and renamed one team completely (one team has retained the name but with a different meaning). I also got rid of the cartoony logos that exist out there now, for the sake of more professional (I hope) logos. I tired to retain some of Japan's unique uniform styles, while also bringing the uniforms closer to what we see in the MLB.

Let's get started. First, the current NPB logo itself is pretty bad. The problem I had in making a new logo is that the MLB has such an iconic one already, it's hard to make something recognizable, simple and "baseball" without imitating the MLB logo a little. So I stuck with a flag-meets-silhouette design for the new logo. The batter is, of course, Sadaharu Oh. I wanted to use his famous batting stance, but unfortunately, then it would look too much like MLB's, and the position of the sun wouldn't make sense either.

For those of you who may panic about using the rising sun motif, while there is definitely a WWII connotation to it, the design is still widely used (I bought one while climbing Fuji-san on the same trip), mostly by the Japanese government, and "Nippon," the Japanese word for Japan, translates to "Land of the Rising Sun." The design was used before and after WWII, unlike the swastika, so I consider this use to be part of the design's rehabilitation. It also works as a ball to Oh's batter.

The Central and Pacific Leagues also have two very crappy logos. I decided to redo these as well, using design motifs common in classical Japanese art. Those are the aforementioned Fuji-san for the Central League (since central Nippon is dominated by mountains, Fuji being the most prominent) and a wave for the Pacific League (hopefully no explanation needed). The new CBL logo uses green and silver primarily, with a maroon accent, this palette is inspired by the current colors, and also reflects the mountain theme. The PBL mark is two-tone blue and orange, again derived from the current logo and obviously the ocean.

Finally for this set, you'll notice that each entity, NPB, CBL and PBL have a flag.

in Japanese baseball, I was impressed by the sight of black and yellow Tigers flags in the bleachers at the game I attended, and it seems that this is pretty common. So each team will also have a flag with it's logo sheet.

Without further ado:

NPB-Logos.png

You know what to do.

Grunge-Logos.png

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like this. All the logos are clearly well-thought out, and executed very well. The idea for this series is great, and very unique; I'm looking forward to the rest of it.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Okay, you've had enough time to silently judge my work (thanks KMets, Raymie and Lafarge for the positive feedback). Let's throw down on some uniforms.

HIROSHIMA CARP

Starting with the Central League, first up is the Hiroshima Carp. Like I mentioned in the first post, gone are the sponsors for the sake of local affiliation. The Carp currently use Hiroshima in their name, I've simply dropped the sponsor, Toyo. The current uniform is derived from the Reds, right down to the wishbone C logo. I've scrapped that for a more distinct C that matches their wordmark. The wordmarks for home and away uniforms are the same ones that they use currently; I love the Hiroshima wordmark, so it stays. I gave them a vest as a shout out to the Reds, and the primary logo is similar to their current primary, but with a different fish. Fauxbacks will appear a lot in this series, since I've ditched the corporate identities a true throwback won't happen. The FB here is from the late 70's.

HIR-Logos.png

HIR-Home.png

HIR-Away.png

HIR-Alt.png

HIR-FB.png

Get some.

@Raymie, cold you be a little more specific on what seems off about the PBL font? Are you envisioning more a of a block or athletic font?

Grunge-Logos.png

This is an interesting idea. It seems that many non-American baseball/basketball leagues have terrible logos and dont put much effort into branding their team. Living in Korea, I often want to re-create logos for the teams here that desperately need it, so I like what youre doing here.

Onto the C&C. The PBL logo just is too detailed. At first I didnt even realize it was a crashing wave. I thought it was a map. Then I wondered why I couldnt see Japan in the map before realizing it was a wave. I much more smooth, free-flowing wave would look more wave-like IMO.

The Carp looks decent. I dont know this teams real colors, but more color contrast is definitely needed. It would make the logo and everything pop more. You could get away with one color of red in the logo if you simplified the carp image and took out detail.

The Carp uniforms are very good but i love the Fauxback the touch of black is what sets it off very Japanese old style there.

You have bats behind the Central League logo is that a Ball under the Wave in the Pacific League?

TEAMSsmall.png

RICHMOND TIGERS

I'm talking about the "ribbon" in the Pacific League typeface. You snuck in Tahoma, and it flopped.

But at least the Carp uniforms look nice. The "HIROSHIMA" in the wordmark/logo doesn't look like it's on the same angle as the curvature of the script.

I love the Fauxback look. It's definitely got all the elements that make it truly Japanese. On a side note I think that the Hiroshima Carp's very first logo is very close to perfection and one of my all time favourite logos:

93834929-147a-4a6d-b4ec-91a89541e0d3.jpg

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback! Unfortunately, my personal schedule doesn't give me much time to incorporate your critiques, though I really appreciate it. I'll take a quick second to address some C&C before the next concept...

The PBL logo just is too detailed. At first I didnt even realize it was a crashing wave. I thought it was a map. Then I wondered why I couldnt see Japan in the map before realizing it was a wave. I much more smooth, free-flowing wave would look more wave-like IMO.

I get where you're coming from. I envisioned the league logos as being used in a similar fashion as MLB's league logos (i.e. fairly limited), so the need for simplicity isn't really there. I based the wave off a piece of classic Japanese art (linked in my original post), though I would like to tweak it a little if I had the time.

I'm talking about the "ribbon" in the Pacific League typeface. You snuck in Tahoma, and it flopped.

But at least the Carp uniforms look nice. The "HIROSHIMA" in the wordmark/logo doesn't look like it's on the same angle as the curvature of the script.

I don't think it's Tahoma, but it's close (just checked, "Verdana, FYI). I'm not too thrilled with it either, and I'm open to suggestions. I wanted something a bit more round and fluid to reflect the ocean, rather than the block font for the CBL. WRT the Hiroshima and Carp wordmarks not matching, I mentioned that I kept the current wordmarks used by the team because I like both of them. I also made a conscious effort to not use the two together to avoid contrasting them. They wouldn't ever appear on the field together, so I'm okay with the difference. The Hiroshima wordmark is just too unique to ditch.

On a side note I think that the Hiroshima Carp's very first logo is very close to perfection and one of my all time favourite logos:

Agreed, I didn't find that shirt till after I finished the concept. If I'd found it ahead of time I would have probably gone that direction.

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it, and I'm taking it in for the future, I just don't have time to make the changes right now. Next uniform is on the way!

Grunge-Logos.png

Okay, I'm going to keep this train rolling, with a new concept every day or so.

KITAKYUSHU SWALLOWS

TexasRangers13 mentioned Discrim's awesome Swallows concept, he did some great things with a cartoon bird logo that formed a "Y" for the sponsor, Yakult. Currently the Yakult Swallows play in Tokyo and wear a fairly standard red white and blue get color scheme. I hated their wordmark, cap logo, and uniforms, so I moved the team out of Edo, changed the colors to light blue and orange, and simplified the uniforms. I really like the result, it has a sort of "Mets meet 1990's Padres" vibe, WRT colors and logo construction. I wanted the wordmark to allude to the team name, but shied away from a cartoon or realistic bird. If I could do it again, I might add a bird logo, but most of the other concepts I made have animal logos, and this was one of my last, so I guess I was suffering animal burnout. Enough about my psyche, let's make some magic happen.

KIT-Logos.png

KIT-Home.png

KIT-Alt.png

KIT-Alt-2.png

Grunge-Logos.png

I figure one thing, if I ever revisit this, I'm including flags. Anyways, I see ya led off with the Carp...and personally, I love the Hiroshima script too, I woulda used it in mine if I didn't like the lettering I'd created just as well. The two tone red look is rather interesting, and the carp you used here is pretty damn cool. Granted, almost anything's an upgrade over the chibi batter that screams "we didn't even have any half-decent ideas, let alone any good ones," but still. Now the Swallows, blue & orange, eh? Aint too different from their usual scheme, and the piping scheme there is pretty distinct. I kinda like the wing you put in the W as well.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Now the Swallows, blue & orange, eh? Aint too different from their usual scheme, and the piping scheme there is pretty distinct.

Thanks Discrim! I started with the Swallows' current red and blue and then just adjusted the colors until I ended up with what you see here. I had yellow in there at one point, but ditched it for a simpler look. The collar stripes are a nod to their current collar-bone panels, which are red, trimmed with blue.

If anyone else has got feedback, send it! In the interest of not dragging things out, I'm going to post my next concept in a few, but if you've got thoughts on the Swallows, hit me.

Grunge-Logos.png

NAGOYA DRAGONS

Start growing a mustache, it's Mr. Baseball's team! The Chunichi Dragons, currently play in the city of Nagoya, I kept them there for the rebrand. Nothing cosmic here, I kept the Dodgers-esque color scheme, and the current team's side panels on the jersey and pants. I added some light blue trim to make them look less like LA and to give them some alternate options. The primary logo is a dragon based on one of these guys, holding a baseball, naturally. I used an interlocking "ND" as a nod to the current logo, but went with a straight "D" on the cap, as an indirect homage to the Dragons' most famous player, natch.

NAG-Logos.png

NAG-Home.png

NAG-Away.png

NAG-Alt.png

Drop some C&C bombs on me. (And give the Swallows some love too, while you're contemplating Tom's chest hair.)

Grunge-Logos.png

Hey gang, we're only at 3 out of 12 teams, don't quit on me now! I have all 12 teams complete but I don't want to waste my time putting my concepts on here if no one's going to bother any more.

Thanks the to folks who have commented so far.

If this thread continues, next up are the only sports team I know of who are cursed by a fast food mascot!

Grunge-Logos.png

Archived