Central Michigan Chippewas Indian Spear (1973 - 1988)

petnic

@lancealot: Thank you! Indeed, turned out just as I hoped it would.

@DWECK996674: Unfortunately, no. With this being a historic university athletic logo, I'd rather not share the vector artwork I created, nor would I want to get the logo printed in purple (as this, to me, would tarnish the significance of the hard work that went in to creating an accurate and faithful reproduction). You can, however, work with a company such as Pro-Tuff Decals (http://www.protuffdecals.com) who offer similar stock designs. For example, IM160 at http://www.protuffdecals.com/stock-artwork/stock-mascots/indians.aspx (this stock design is based on the Washington Redskins spear).

@Spearhead: Thank you! Definitely. Four or five iterations over a course of four or five weekends. Hours of Googling, sleuthing around the internet trying to find quality images to base the reproduction on (and, as you can tell, the resources were sparse). Hours of drawing, guessing, tweaking, second guessing, and redrawing. But, in the end, it was worth it.

I do actually have a couple more restoration projects. I restored the home and away scripts for the Triple-A Miami Marlins (International League) (1956 - 1960). Still working on the primary logo; might try to finish it this weekend. Also, I restored the primary logos for the Hamburg Pirates (1997 - 2003), my little-league football team, and the Pinckney Pirates (2003 - 2006), my high school football team. I got mini helmet decals printed for these logos at the same time I got the Central Michigan Chippewas Indian Spear (1973 - 1988) logos printed. I will probably post a thread tomorrow detailing that project.

• 2 months later...

I was at CMU right after they dropped the spear, and we still tried to hold onto it. The marching band used to go for practices in the stadium the morning before the game and they'd draw a spear through the "C" in the middle of the field in the dew. That was until we got yelled at by the athletics department, although that didn't really stop us.

Great work on the logo. I tried to PM you but couldn't get through since the forum won't let me do anything. If you still have any decals left, I'd love to get one.

I was at CMU right after they dropped the spear, and we still tried to hold onto it. The marching band used to go for practices in the stadium the morning before the game and they'd draw a spear through the "C" in the middle of the field in the dew. That was until we got yelled at by the athletics department, although that didn't really stop us.

Great work on the logo. I tried to PM you but couldn't get through since the forum won't let me do anything. If you still have any decals left, I'd love to get one.

Glad to hear that someone else is familiar with the Central Michigan Indian spear logo. Since the project heavily relied on stories and low-quality, program photographs, it is reassuring to see "Great work on the logo." coming from someone who saw it in person. Glad you like it.

Yes, I still have 10 or 15 sets of decals left. I will try to send you a PM with the details.

Glad to hear that someone else is familiar with the Central Michigan Indian spear logo. Since the project heavily relied on stories and low-quality, program photographs, it is reassuring to see "Great work on the logo." coming from someone who saw it in person. Glad you like it.

Yes, I still have 10 or 15 sets of decals left. I will try to send you a PM with the details.

Well, I tried to send you a PM, but I got an error message saying that you cannot use the messaging system. We can take this conversation to e-mail, if you would like. My e-mail address is: petnic@ymail.com

Very well done! I love the process you went through, and the details from start to finish. I'm not a CMU alum (Saginaw Valley State '08), but I love seeing anything from Michigan schools not named Spartans or Wolverines! Decals look like they turned out great. Bravo sir!

Archived