Sign in to follow this  
Brass

American Ultimate Disc League

Well, the first ever "professional" ultimate frisbee league is going to be given a shot in the name of the American Ultimate Disc League, or AUDL. The league has teams based in the markets of Buffalo, Columbus, Connecticut, Detroit, Indianapolis, Philadelphia, Rhode Island and River City. It's pretty safe to say, however, that their logos are quite atrocious. I was considering trying out for Connecticut, as they play at my colleges stadium, but I wouldn't be eligible to play for my college team if I made the Connecticut squad. They're also playing with modified ultimate rules, so that would take some time to get used to, as well.

Aesthetically, the league doesn't look too good as far as it's logos, but I'm hoping this league succeeds. Ultimate is a fantastic sport to both play and watch and hopefully this ads some needed exposure to a very popular sport. It's funny to think how little people know about the sport, yet I'd wager to guess that 99% of colleges and universities in the United States (and many in Canada, too) have ultimate teams.

Thoughts?

I dunno...I kinda like the Alley Cats logo...might just be in comparison to the others though.

the mechanix logo looks cool but oddly familiar. i play ultimate myself and its fun. last year i got three goals and 4 assists for my summer team. live in :flagcanada:

Unless you're on an ultimate frisbee scholarship, I say go for it and try out for the pro team.

And truth be told, I expected much worse for the logos. They aren't 'good', per se, but they blow godaddy out of the water lol

I participated in most of the preseason activities for the Indianapolis team. Ultimately (pun), I don't want to commit to the concept of being a professional athlete and all the hassles that go with it, but I'm certainly going to check out my fair share of home games. I think I'll spend my summer playing the club series.

This is definitely an instance where the ball or piece of equipment doesn't have to be included.

I like the Cranes, does JN64 own the Rhode Island team?

I participated in most of the preseason activities for the Indianapolis team. Ultimately (pun), I don't want to commit to the concept of being a professional athlete and all the hassles that go with it, but I'm certainly going to check out my fair share of home games. I think I'll spend my summer playing the club series.

What club team do you play for?

What I am looking forward to, though, are the potential jerseys. From viewing some of the work that Five Ultimate has done for both club and college teams, the jerseys can more than make up for the less-than-stellar logos.

What club team do you play for?

What I am looking forward to, though, are the potential jerseys. From viewing some of the work that Five Ultimate has done for both club and college teams, the jerseys can more than make up for the less-than-stellar logos.

I play for Lake Effect out of Cleveland, but I may take it easy this summer and only play a few early-season events. It's a good amount of time and money commitment to play the full club series. Ultimate jerseys certainly are polarizing. I happen to hate most of the sublimated ones and love some of the classic ones that just have a logo on the chest, but sublimation can be tastefully done. These are the jerseys I designed for us last season (only thing I could find was the manufacturer's spec sheet, couldn't find the photos).

lake_effect.jpg

Those are damn beautiful! Can fans order them? :P

Did that cost extra for custom numbers? When I played hockey I wanted our team's jerseys to have custom numbers, but the people at the silkscreening shop told me it would be cost-prohibitive because they'd have to make screens for each individual number.

With only 12 people on the roster, it wasn't worth the extra cost.

Did that cost extra for custom numbers? When I played hockey I wanted our team's jerseys to have custom numbers, but the people at the silkscreening shop told me it would be cost-prohibitive because they'd have to make screens for each individual number.

Depends where you get them. Some companies will charge you, others won't. Depends on how badly they want to get their name out there in the market. If you get a sublimated jersey, chances are they don't cost you that much extra. Looks as if Andrew used SavageUltimate for his jerseys. They don't really have a huge share of the market in uniforms (I'd venture to say Five Ultimate and probably, as cheesy as it sounds, CustomInk.com have the biggest share) at least from the tournaments I've been to. Smaller companies like SavageUltimate, as well as BreakmarkUltimate just want to get their name out there and will charge you a pretty decent price. Breakmark has been shoving discount after discount down our team's throats to order from them, but we've heard mixed reports and might just stay with Five Ultimate as our supplier.

Depends where you get them. Some companies will charge you, others won't. Depends on how badly they want to get their name out there in the market. If you get a sublimated jersey, chances are they don't cost you that much extra. Looks as if Andrew used SavageUltimate for his jerseys. They don't really have a huge share of the market in uniforms (I'd venture to say Five Ultimate and probably, as cheesy as it sounds, CustomInk.com have the biggest share) at least from the tournaments I've been to. Smaller companies like SavageUltimate, as well as BreakmarkUltimate just want to get their name out there and will charge you a pretty decent price. Breakmark has been shoving discount after discount down our team's throats to order from them, but we've heard mixed reports and might just stay with Five Ultimate as our supplier.

VC still makes the best jerseys, in my opinion, whether sublimated, screen-printed or custom cut/sew pieces. I could possibly get you a jersey the next time they are ordered, PM me if you are serious. I think they were $65, and honestly, I'm not blown away by Savage's quality, but it is what it is. With sublimation, the artwork has to be set up individually for each jersey anyway, so custom numerals generally don't cost any extra (i.e. it's no different for them to plug in your custom numbers instead of one of their own numbers). Similarly, putting a name on back will cost extra, but using a custom font instead of one of their stock fonts won't be an up-charge. That kind of stuff will run you big bucks with screen printing, though. Few shops will even do it. Most just order heat-seal numbers. Getting custom heat seal numbers is an option, too, but I don't know enough about that to tell you anything.

Wanted to give this a little bump. We're only a week away from the opening weekend of the AUDL. League schedule is here. I'm actually excited about this and really excited for my buddies in the league.

Unless you're on an ultimate frisbee scholarship, I say go for it and try out for the pro team.

Those aren't real, are they?

Let's see... the Buffalo Hunters. The Bluegrass Revolution. The Connecticut Constitution.

And they expect US to take this 'league' seriously? :lol::wacko:

Let's see... the Buffalo Hunters. The Bluegrass Revolution. The Connecticut Constitution.

And they expect US to take this 'league' seriously? :lol::wacko:

Why? Is Buffalo Bills or Brooklyn Nets good names. Please!!!!

Related, sort of ? Ultimate has its own National Governing Body ? like USA Basketball or USA Hockey ? complete with logo identity.

Unrelated to this league, but I didn't know if anyone had seen this mark.

usaultimate.jpg

@ Brass could you keep us updated on how your mates are going?