Astros considering new uniforms, name change

ShlyKBMT

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simple, do a modern version of these...

0606_large.jpgnl_1965_houston.gif

A name change would be terrible. "Astros" is one of the all-time great team names. Who cares if it doesn't "match" their stadium? It's not like Progressive Field is decked out in a Native American theme. The Giants don't play in an over sized stadium.

>>>>>

Hey ... I like the idea of a modernization of that concept, from the old SI cover

Giants in an over-sized stadium .. lol ... good one :grin:

Posted this somewhere else a while back, but I wish the stros would lean towards something like this.

astros.png

As a devout Astros fan, i absolutely do not want to see the 90's set make a comeback. I don't care what anybody says, those things are a complete pile of crap. They worked for the 90s, but its 2012. I know that sounds a little ironic since I'm wanting them to modernize something from the 60's, but i don't think there's any way to make that uniform look good... that's just my opinion.

As long as the Astrodome still stands in Houston, the name is appropriate... it is still standing, right?

OT: I heard this on Fox Sports Radio tonight, which I thought was strange ... first because they did a uni update during the news on national radio, and second because I was listening to Fox Sports Radio. Switched back to The Score and realized why -- there was a Zach Zaidman/Robbie Gould extravaganza going on (I realize only Chicago people can relate.)

I'm with most people: Keep the name, change the uniforms. Just because a train rolls through your stadium doesn't mean you need to wear black, brick and pinstripes. How is that current look train-themed anyway? Go all out with the Astros. There are plenty of concepts on here from the last time this was floated. From '60s blue and orange to rainbow, and from black and gold to even black and white. Plenty of upgrade options to choose from.

And Gothamite: I thought you were firmly in the "blue and athletic gold are the Brewers colors" camp.

I must be the only one who HATES the Navy and Orange look for the Astros.

Funny, that's how I feel about the blue and gold...yeah, it made sense for a team named "Astros", but it just always seemed uninspired to me...don't know why. I hope they don't go that route.

I suppose I could put it in the unpopular opinions thread, but I love the current uniforms and don't care if they don't match the "Astros" name...I would like them to stand pat. However, I doubt they will. So that said...change the unis, but keep the name. They've had that name for 50 years or so...keep it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

As long as the Astrodome still stands in Houston, the name is appropriate... it is still standing, right?

>>>>

Still standing as we all know ... but even if they were to demolish the Astrodome JSC it makes no difference, the nickname fits their origins.

The Lakers are long gone from the Land of 10,000 Lakes, it's been 50+ years, but they originated from there in MPLS and there's no reason to pretend that part of their origins never existed, so the nickname still fits as does 'Jazz' who originated in NO, so the same should be for the Astros and their then '8th Wonder of the World' stadium and the city that is home of NASA.

Why a name change? Do people not like the Astros name?

As for the uni, best ever was the one with the fire colors on the shoulders. Just the right amount of punch and different.

nolan-ryan-astros.jpg

I'm a really big Astros fan. The names not gonna change. He just said that to show the fans they have leverage regarding the direction of the franchise. It's just been taken out of context here and there.

Anyway, these would be great but given that it's 2012, Id like to see maybe the colored striping but as trim on the sleeves. No side stripes. Maybe a block font to match the cap. And that cap will be a top 5 seller when they switch.

>>>>

As big Astros fans, how does the consensus there in Houston and East Texas feel about them being moved to the AL?

Personally, I hate the notion of it and felt it should have been the Milwaukee Brewers returning back to the AL .... with the Astros v Rangers meeting each season in inter-league play, just like the Mets-Yanks, LAA-LAD, Chisox-Cubs, Tribe-Reds, A's-Giants, Bal-Wsh, etc etc

I'd love to see the Orioles play the Cardinals in St L in their old St Louis Browns uniforms .... similar to when the Atlanta Braves played the Red Sox at Fenway in their old Boston Braves duds ... Why the Athletics didn't do that last season when playing the Phillies in Philadelphia was a blown opportunity ...

Oops, sorry to get a bit off-subject ...

Saw this on ESPN.

Nice contribution.

---------------------

Can't believe we've gotten this far into an Astros thread and these haven't been posted yet

54109d1191128641-craig-biggio-catches-astros_braves0154.jpg

With a less terrible number font, these would be perfect.

new number font,orange and blue and the fire shoulders, and there you go. combining two eras. like the jays did. if the name does change how about the astronauts? astros could still be used (as a nickname,like the sens or bolts)

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

As long as the Astrodome Johnson Space Center still stands in Houston, the name is appropriate... it is still standing, right?

Just my opinion...

Ha. Good point. Full disclosure: I wasn't being entirely serious there. I think the best name for a Houston MLB team -- AL or NL -- is Astros.

1. The Dome is a giant money-sucking pit that needs to get bulldozed yesterday. It is an albatross that serves no purpose & I personally hate seeing it shown during any national NFL broadcast, just sitting there next to Reliant. Build a museum and more parking in its place.

2. Team Director of Social Media Alyson Footer said the name change was floated to gauge fan response. She said she doesn't think the name will change, but she thinks the uniforms will.

3. The response here in Houston is 95/5 keep the Astros name. I vehemently agree.

4. The response here in Houston is 80/20 change the uniforms. I love the current set, and I wouldn't mind navy/orange, but if they bring back the tequila sunrise crap, it would be a major mistake.

5. Minute Maid Park is built on the sight of an old train station. I doubt they would really re-theme the entire park, considering the circumstances. That said, they could return to a uniform more like the original Astros set and it would fit into the retro-ish style park. They wore the 1965 set from upthread as a throwback recently and it looked completely in place. So it isn't nuts to think a navy/orange 60's-style retheme with cream home jerseys would work. But then again, I think the current set could just be recolored to navy/orange/cream and it would be fine too.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

If the Astros do change their name (which I hope they don't), I think they'll change it to the Houston Express or something like that (fits their railroad-oriented MO and ballpark)

bYhYmxh.png

I don't understand this idea that a team's entire identity has to match its ballpark. Nothing about the Cubs' uniforms calls to mind brick, ivy, or drunk girls who majored in communications at Michigan State. The Dodgers' uniforms have no '60s SoCal pastels. Most parks are just forest green, and only the A's wear forest green, but the Oakland Coliseum is mostly grey. So this is pointless.

Maybe there are some elements of Minute Maid Park that could be painted atomic orange and navy blue, but I don't think the entire park needs to be reimagined for the sake of the uniforms, nor the uniforms for the sake of the park.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived