Astros considering new uniforms, name change

ShlyKBMT

I don't understand this idea that a team's entire identity has to match its ballpark. Nothing about the Cubs' uniforms calls to mind brick, ivy, or drunk girls who majored in communications at Michigan State. The Dodgers' uniforms have no '60s SoCal pastels. Most parks are just forest green, and only the A's wear forest green, but the Oakland Coliseum is mostly grey. So this is pointless.

Maybe there are some elements of Minute Maid Park that could be painted atomic orange and navy blue, but I don't think the entire park needs to be reimagined for the sake of the uniforms, nor the uniforms for the sake of the park.

Thank you. Even with a park as gimmicky as MMP, they don't need to tailor the uniforms to the park. Parks tend to have a lot of similar features, and good ones fit in with the archtecture of the area. Houston shouldn't have build a spaceship looking park just because of the Astros name, just like the Pirates shouldn't play in a park that looks like the black pearl. The Marlins don't need a park where the seating area is entirely under water so the fans would have to wear scuba gear to watch games. That would get old fast.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring back the Colt .45s!

Not in this PC world.

"Astros" is a better name anyway.

Can't believe we've gotten this far into an Astros thread and these haven't been posted yet

54109d1191128641-craig-biggio-catches-astros_braves0154.jpg

With a less terrible number font, these would be perfect.

Words cannot describe how much I love that entire uniform and logo set.

spacer.png

I don't understand this idea that a team's entire identity has to match its ballpark. Nothing about the Cubs' uniforms calls to mind brick, ivy, or drunk girls who majored in communications at Michigan State. The Dodgers' uniforms have no '60s SoCal pastels. Most parks are just forest green, and only the A's wear forest green, but the Oakland Coliseum is mostly grey. So this is pointless.

Maybe there are some elements of Minute Maid Park that could be painted atomic orange and navy blue, but I don't think the entire park needs to be reimagined for the sake of the uniforms, nor the uniforms for the sake of the park.

Thank you. Even with a park as gimmicky as MMP, they don't need to tailor the uniforms to the park. Parks tend to have a lot of similar features, and good ones fit in with the archtecture of the area. Houston shouldn't have build a spaceship looking park just because of the Astros name, just like the Pirates shouldn't play in a park that looks like the black pearl. The Marlins don't need a park where the seating area is entirely under water so the fans would have to wear scuba gear to watch games. That would get old fast.

Thank you both. Honestly, I've been a bit bothered by how much blue has been added at Wrigley in recent years (concession stand signs, etc.) because they had all been traditionally green. Bricks and ivy = Wrigley. Blue = Team that plays in Wrigley. Matching the ballpark only seems to come up in Astros talk, and I suppose it's because people blame that fo why their current unis are the way they are, but again, those unis don't scream "train station" to me. It's not like they're wearing engineer's caps...

Not in this PC world.

PC has nothing to do with Colt 45's. They changed the name from the Colt 45's because they didn't want to have to pay the owners of the famed gun company any rights fees. That hasn't changed, and it never will.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

1. The Dome is a giant money-sucking pit that needs to get bulldozed yesterday. It is an albatross that serves no purpose & I personally hate seeing it shown during any national NFL broadcast, just sitting there next to Reliant. Build a museum and more parking in its place.

2. Team Director of Social Media Alyson Footer said the name change was floated to gauge fan response. She said she doesn't think the name will change, but she thinks the uniforms will.

3. The response here in Houston is 95/5 keep the Astros name. I vehemently agree.

4. The response here in Houston is 80/20 change the uniforms. I love the current set, and I wouldn't mind navy/orange, but if they bring back the tequila sunrise crap, it would be a major mistake.

5. Minute Maid Park is built on the sight of an old train station. I doubt they would really re-theme the entire park, considering the circumstances. That said, they could return to a uniform more like the original Astros set and it would fit into the retro-ish style park. They wore the 1965 set from upthread as a throwback recently and it looked completely in place. So it isn't nuts to think a navy/orange 60's-style retheme with cream home jerseys would work. But then again, I think the current set could just be recolored to navy/orange/cream and it would be fine too.

I disagree... I live in a rival NL Central city and the only Astros gear I ever see up here is the tequila sunrise stuff. Granted, I don't think they should bring back the 70s unis en masse, but it'd be silly for them not to embrace what is far and away the most identifiable part of the Astros brand.

>>>>

As big Astros fans, how does the consensus there in Houston and East Texas feel about them being moved to the AL?

Personally, I hate the notion of it and felt it should have been the Milwaukee Brewers returning back to the AL .... with the Astros v Rangers meeting each season in inter-league play, just like the Mets-Yanks, LAA-LAD, Chisox-Cubs, Tribe-Reds, A's-Giants, Bal-Wsh, etc etc

I'd love to see the Orioles play the Cardinals in St L in their old St Louis Browns uniforms .... similar to when the Atlanta Braves played the Red Sox at Fenway in their old Boston Braves duds ... Why the Athletics didn't do that last season when playing the Phillies in Philadelphia was a blown opportunity ...

Oops, sorry to get a bit off-subject ...

A lot of people weren't very happy about it, thus his doing anything to make the fans happy mentality.

Personally though I realize that these aren't exactly our best years so if were gonna lose we might as well do it against the Yankees and red sox at home a few times a year. Looks like Pujols is gonna be our foe again though.

Not in this PC world.

PC has nothing to do with Colt 45's. They changed the name from the Colt 45's because they didn't want to have to pay the owners of the famed gun company any rights fees. That hasn't changed, and it never will.

I didn't know that, but I also didn't figure that political correctness was a big thing back in 1964. I figured they changed the name because Colt .45's sounds stupid.

My point was, if they brought back a team name relating to a gun, the PC police would be all over it. I guarantee you.

spacer.png

I get wanting to put your stamp on the team and announce the move with a uniform change. The name change however is nuts. Fans by and large don't want it, and there is no need for it. Especially to switch your name back to a gun. Great way to become the team of scumbags and gang bangers.

Uniforms? Yes

Name? No

The name, "Houston Astros" is a great one IMHO.

As for the uniforms, given the circumstances, this would be a great time to change. Here's what I mean:

-Moving to AL

-Current set looks like absolute garbage

-Wearing throwbacks on some Fridays throughout the season. Apparently wearing them from different eras each month (I don't know the specifics, somebody's going to have to check this.)

This last part^. This would be a perfect way to phase out the current look.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

Maybe a block font to match the cap. And that cap will be a top 5 seller when they switch.

What I think would be a great compromise would be to bring back the old classic "Star-H" block logo cap as a primary and keep the current open star as an alternate (or vice versa).

Both are excellent and recognizable symbols. It would be a nice way of embracing the historical transition of the franchise's history; no reason both icons can't coexist.

I still detest the idea of the entire state of Texas being AL...no NL teams from Atlanta to Phoenix...it just...sickens me.

Personally, I hate the notion of it and felt it should have been the Milwaukee Brewers returning back to the AL ....

Right on to that. The Brewers being in the National League feels completely wrong.

I'd love to see the Orioles play the Cardinals in St L in their old St Louis Browns uniforms .... similar to when the Atlanta Braves played the Red Sox at Fenway in their old Boston Braves duds ...

That happened in 2003.

04MORAUD.JPG

Why the Athletics didn't do that last season when playing the Phillies in Philadelphia was a blown opportunity ...

Right, that's true. They've worn Philadelphia A's uniforms a few times at home; but not at Philly.

P1040375.JPG

http://www.inhistoric.com/2009/11/10/999473/throwback-uniforms-as-and-white

http://www.philadelphiaathletics.org/event/2009oaklandthrowbackgame.htm

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Personally, I hate the notion of it and felt it should have been the Milwaukee Brewers returning back to the AL ....

Right on to that. The Brewers being in the National League feels completely wrong.

I'd love to see the Orioles play the Cardinals in St L in their old St Louis Browns uniforms .... similar to when the Atlanta Braves played the Red Sox at Fenway in their old Boston Braves duds ...

That happened in 2003.

04MORAUD.JPG

Why the Athletics didn't do that last season when playing the Phillies in Philadelphia was a blown opportunity ...

Right, that's true. They've worn Philadelphia A's uniforms a few times at home; but not at Philly.

P1040375.JPG

http://www.inhistori...ms-as-and-white

http://www.philadelp...rowbackgame.htm

>>>>>

Cool !!

I have no memory of Baltimore wearing those St L Browns duds, thanks for posting the photo. Where was the game being played and do you know what season? One can assume it was in Baltimore since they weren't wearing the away grays. Were they playing the Cards do you know??

The Boston Braves throwback with the 'B' logo caps worn at Fenway in '03 I totally remember, as I was kinda hoping they'd wear the old Indian chief head logo from the mid-30s that John Goodman wore in the movie the Babe back in the 90s.

I do remember the A's wearing the old Philadelphia Athetics uniformat home vs the Chisox back in '09, but last year would have fit the ideal superbly when they returned to Philadelphia for that weekend series, Major error :(

My favorite throwbacks of all-time remain the Chisox 1906 duds that they wore in 2006 ... I liked the partial buttoning-up style with that Roman 'C'. They were so magnificent and I haven't strolled across any decent sized photos from that day.

*** Sorry for off-subject Astros fans

2508553401_c64240fecd_o.png

Simple, do a modern version of these...

0606_large.jpgwynn0003_20100611988.gifnl_1965_houston.gif

A name change would be terrible. "Astros" is one of the all-time great team names. Who cares if it doesn't "match" their stadium? It's not like Progressive Field is decked out in a Native American theme. The Giants don't play in an over sized stadium.

Yes. THIS. Done.

Saw this on ESPN.

Nice contribution.

---------------------

Can't believe we've gotten this far into an Astros thread and these haven't been posted yet

54109d1191128641-craig-biggio-catches-astros_braves0154.jpg

With a less terrible number font, these would be perfect.

Couldn't agree more. Swap the navy with black to avoid the supposed clash with the Brewers (which is a ridiculous argument considering all the navy and red teams) and you're set.

Houston Astros is as well one of the best names in sports IMO, changing it would be a HUGE mistake.

Maybe it's just me but that star is just too 90s. We did that type of star treatment on so much stuff back then, it's lost any cool factor it ever had.

Archived