Best goalie mask of all time?

johnnysama

This is so random to remember but if you remember the goalie Jim Carey who was a brief star for the Capitals somewhat based on skill but mostly based on his name. Well he had a weird mask that he wore but he had said he had a "The Mask" mask. I found the image of it:

careymaskmask.jpg

BTW here's the one he wore:

carey.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always liked this Marty Turco mask:

turco.jpg

Suddenly I'm 10 years old again. Didn't realize he wore that even with the Edge jerseys.

p-47249-marty-turco-dallas-stars-8x10-photo-hf-9121.jpg

EDIT: Must have been a once-off, because he changed masks before the Edge set came in.

Dallas%20Stars%206.JPG
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Due to the orgy of images in this thread and the high likelihood of repeats, I've put these in spoilers.

Some awesome blackhawks masks:

Cristobal Huet:

4351973970_eda11f2e45_o.jpg

Jeff Hackett:

JeffHackett.jpg

Warren Skorodenski:

skorodenski.JPG

Non blackhawks:

Jason LaBarbera (I like it for the camo, not the tribute. Tribute helmets always come off looking like corny tattoos)

pat_tillman_tribute_featured_on_jason_labarberas_stunning_new_mask.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1319169728920

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Jonas Hiller:

hillerevo08.JPG

I love the simplicity and starkness of it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I hate that Hiller mask. Interesting to delve into matte, but when in the context of the rest of the uniform it looks like crap.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'm a huge hockey fan, huge Islanders fan, and huge goalie fan as it was the position I played. There are so many masks I really like, but every DiPietro mask he has had over the years has been an amazing display of patriotism and honoring the military and his dad. I love these.

rick-dipietro.jpg

ny-islanders-rick-dipietro.jpg

37-rick-dipietro.jpg

dipietro1.png

5078546469_2d47368111.jpg

nyi-dipietro.jpg

I'm not usually a simple person in tastes of masks or most things. But being Brodeur is my favorite player, I've always found this mask to be iconic and classy without being too plain.

brodeur-1.gif

Zeppelin is my favorite band and Brent Johnson has done an awesome job with his past few, despite not liking the blue Pens throwbacks, this is my favorite of his Zeppelin masks since it uses Physical Graffiti.

49205387.jpg

Awesome mask

1349d1283114509-antero-niittymakis-new-sharks-mask-maskhayward01.jpg

And last but not least, another classic mask, one of the coolest old masks around

resch_display_image.jpg?1303434851

2ly2w09.jpg

36-Wayne-Stephenson-Mask.jpgstephen.jpg

How can you ask for a better interpretation of an iconic logo, with perfect colors, and a bandit look (perfect for goalies!). Seriously, best mask ever.

...and that's coming from a Pens fan!

I liked Chico Resch's modern take on that in '86 when the Lax-style helmets first came out:

RESC111020.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Why did the Rangers ever get rid of that third? That is easily one of the best alternate logos the league has ever had.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

can't see it very well here but i love this mask. i have one just like it. nordiques9192fisets.jpg

If you loathe it why do you own one?

Also those metal-inspired masks Connor posted are awesome, seeing Eddie on anything is always great

i love it. the mask is amazing. it is a simple yet beautiful design. i made a mistake last night when i wrote that comment.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Why did the Rangers ever get rid of that third? That is easily one of the best alternate logos the league has ever had.

Not to mention out of all previous non "edge" jerseys, this would have been the easiest one to make into an "edge" jersey.

You know what? Looking at both the blue and white versions of the Liberty jerseys, if the Rangers didn't already have an untouchable classic, those two would look just fine as their primaries.

Rangers34.pngRangers35.png

Beautiful.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-534803647-1257105872.jpg?w=429&h=500

Sometimes the old models without cages could produce some awesome looks.

I was checking this thread for that one--Gilles Gratton.

Great mask--looks even better when you see more of him.

gglionmask.png

While some cool things have been done with the current mask styles--they can't do this.

And there's the story that one time in practice he came out wearing the mask & skates. (And maybe the leg pads...)

But I don't need a picture of that.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'm a huge hockey fan, huge Islanders fan, and huge goalie fan as it was the position I played. There are so many masks I really like, but every DiPietro mask he has had over the years has been an amazing display of patriotism and honoring the military and his dad. I love these.

[Tons of Rick DiPietro masks]

I think the more impressive thing is that 30 pictures exist of Rick DiPietro playing NHL hockey.

spacer.png

Archived