Best goalie mask of all time?

johnnysama

Eh, the Tea Party stuff kinda ruins it for me, and I'd prefer if it had more colors.

What Tea Party stuff?

The Gadsden Flag, the snake with "Don't Tread on Me" on the rear of his helmet, has been adopted as sort of the official symbol for the Tea Party.

There is a similar flag, the First Navy Jack, that has a snake with the "Don't Tread on Me" phrase on it, but the snake is elongated over the flag, not curled in a striking position like the Gadsden and on his helmet.

Without getting political, I find it a little unfortunate that the flag is associated with any political party, because it really is a cool ass flag.

America. :censored: yeah.

2ly2w09.jpg

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Turco's last Stars mask's were spectacular. Particularly the Black one with the cracked earth in gold

Lastly we have Wade Dubielewicz. Who else would put Yoda, the Fisherman and pictures from the dynasty years on the same design?

dubielewicz.jpg

He's gotta be the only goalie to have an opposing team's player on his mask!

Mel Bridgeman, #10 of the Flyers.

Wow.

sig-1.png

Eh, the Tea Party stuff kinda ruins it for me, and I'd prefer if it had more colors.

What Tea Party stuff?

The Gadsden Flag, the snake with "Don't Tread on Me" on the rear of his helmet, has been adopted as sort of the official symbol for the Tea Party.

There is a similar flag, the First Navy Jack, that has a snake with the "Don't Tread on Me" phrase on it, but the snake is elongated over the flag, not curled in a striking position like the Gadsden and on his helmet.

Without getting political, I find it a little unfortunate that the flag is associated with any political party, because it really is a cool ass flag.

I'm quite familiar with the Gadsden flag and I own the First Navy Jack. (It hangs in my house.) I was afraid that that's what RedSox44 was referring to, but I wanted to confirm. I didn't see anything else that's Tea Party related on that helmet. To your point, I agree. That is one of the coolest symbols of patriotism that this country has. It's just a shame it's become so politicized.

What Tea Party stuff?

I'm quite familiar with the Gadsden flag and I own the First Navy Jack. (It hangs in my house.) I was afraid that that's what RedSox44 was referring to, but I wanted to confirm. I didn't see anything else that's Tea Party related on that helmet. To your point, I agree. That is one of the coolest symbols of patriotism that this country has. It's just a shame it's become so politicized.

Tell me about it--a few years back, I was going to get a First Navy Jack to hang in my office to show my support of the US men's soccer team when Nike was running their DTOM campaign. Then to Tea Party started using the DTOM stuff so the flag would be a political statement hanging in my office. Annoying.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

What Tea Party stuff?

Yeah. As a flag, it's goddamn sweet and if it wasn't associated with the Tea Party movement I'd love that Thomas would've used such an awesome flag as part of his mask design.

~~~~

One more Carey.

dafoe.jpg

Correction, that's Byron Dafoe during is cup of coffee with the Caps.

Derp. I'll correct my post.

spacer.png

Yeah symbols and flags should just be benign and meaningless :rolleyes:

Given the nature of the flag I'm surprised it took this long for a political group to lay claim to it.

As far as the design goes I prefer the Join or Die flag. As far as revolutionary American banners go at any rate.

Yeah symbols and flags should just be benign and meaningless :rolleyes:

ummm he's not saying that at all....he's saying it's too bad a flag meant to represent all americans as a symbol of pride and patriotism has now become divisive and polarizing.

wisco_adidas-1.jpggbp-2.jpg

I'm a fan of Tugnutt's splash mask with the Penguins. Pieterangelo's triangles are another favorite. As well as Wregget's ice penguin:

pit-tugnutt3.jpgpit-frankie2.jpgpit-wregget4.jpg

No penguin mask matches the Wregget DeVito Penguin one posted earlier, though.

And while it didn't match the team at all, it seemed to be part of the charm of Johan Hedberg his rookie season when he seemingly came out of nowhere. Also there was the "penguins waddling into the igloo" mask Aubin had. As a child, these were my absolute favorites.

moose-hedberg.jpgpit-aubin.jpg

I am no hockey fan but that Manitoba Moose mask is pretty sweet. If only baseball catchers could do this to their masks

mcbqza.jpg

I'm a fan of Tugnutt's splash mask with the Penguins. Pieterangelo's triangles are another favorite. As well as Wregget's ice penguin:

Me too. The best part was that he carried this design over to all the other teams he played for

tugnutt.png

I cannot get over how stunning Giggy's mask is.

105e18cbb34151041bcdf26688cb0655-getty-138207760.jpg

That is fantastic. Would be better without the gradient lines though. Maybe a solid blue that matched the sleeve blue. Either way that's a great simple design.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Roberto Luongo's first Canucks mask and his first Johnny Canuck mask are two of the best. They aren't too simple, yet simple enough that you can make out the elements on the mask without a magnifying glass.

RobertoJohnnyCanuck-1.jpgRoberto1stMask-1.jpg

Sticking with the Canucks, former backups Curtis Sanford and Corey Hirsch.

CurtisSandford-1.jpgCoreyHirsch1-1.jpgCoreyHirsch2.jpg

Finally, Jose Theodore, who is probably the last goalie left who kept the same basic design after moving on to different teams.

TheoMTLMask.jpg

I wish there was something in that large maroon space.

The simpler the better. I'm not much of a fan of masks with a hundred different designs that clutter up the mask. The most iconic masks were simple designs with bold shapes. I think we're finally seeing a return of that.

OttawaSenators.png

Archived