White Sox to wear '72 throwbacks on Sundays in 2012

eriqjaffe

I'm not sure I like this idea. The unis themselves look nice, but they strike me as too much of a red copy of their regular unis. If it were my choice, I would go with the Shoeless Joe Jackson era duds instead. Historical context aside, those were things of beauty.

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a Sox fan, I like the idea. But, using the current logo on the uniforms and a different emblem on the caps looks incredibly stupid.

The current logo is not on the '72 uniforms. Compare the chest logo to the one on the dugout in the background and you'll notice the differences. This is accurate to the original uniform.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If you're getting technical, aren't the actual socks (the sanitaries) white while the stirrup is red?

Not to belabor the point, but it's not like we're actually going to see the socks to begin with - you know, with the pajama pants and all.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Oh, white sox. How can a team that wore these:

2391042534_a78afabf30.jpg

prefer to wear their crappiest possible throwback where they look like a low-rent early 2000's Cincinnati Reds?

I love that look so much.

Forgot how well designed those were. Unique. Beautiful.

Could you elaborate on your point and explain what aspects of it make you feel that this was a well-designed Major League Baseball uniform?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I am not that crazy about the uniforms because I am younger and didn't witness that era. Still, lots of older fans have soft-spots for those uniforms because the 71 and 72 seasons, in particular Dick Allen's MVP season practically saved the franchise in Chicago.

I thought the Seattle Pilots saved the franchise by slipping into Milwaukee under their noses..

Actually, Selig turned to the Pilots after his deal to buy and move the Sox was killed by league brass.

The AL had learned from the mistakes of its older brother, and wasn't about to abandon their presence in a major city.

I am not that crazy about the uniforms because I am younger and didn't witness that era. Still, lots of older fans have soft-spots for those uniforms because the 71 and 72 seasons, in particular Dick Allen's MVP season practically saved the franchise in Chicago.

I thought the Seattle Pilots saved the franchise by slipping into Milwaukee under their noses..

Actually, Selig turned to the Pilots after his deal to buy and move the Sox was killed by league brass.

The AL had learned from the mistakes of its older brother, and wasn't about to abandon their presence in a major city.

Many thanks for the knowledge. I didn't know the finer points of how that went down.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The

Many thanks for the knowledge. I didn't know the finer points of how that went down.

And the Brewers coming to Milwaukee didn't help the Sox much, either. Seattle was royally pissed and threatened a massive lawsuit against the American League for the Pilots leaving after one year. In order to save their asses, the AL got the idea to steer the White Sox to Seattle. The 1972 season helped save the Sox, as they hadn't been doing well on the field and were losing money. It helped the owners the Allyns stick it out against some people's wishes until they found an owner who would keep the team in Chicago, and that ended up being Bill Veeck again.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Even though it seems pointless, I'm pretty sure almost every team does that. It's the common button pattern to fit a word mark. I think it's even this way on the Yankee pinstripes.

Not every team, but most teams. The button-gap is the stock jersey pattern. The Cubs have even spacing on their blue alts. The Nats used to have even spacing on their blue DC alts. I think there are a couple of others too.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The

And the Brewers coming to Milwaukee didn't help the Sox much, either. Seattle was royally pissed and threatened a massive lawsuit against the American League for the Pilots leaving after one year. In order to save their asses, the AL got the idea to steer the White Sox to Seattle. The 1972 season helped save the Sox, as they hadn't been doing well on the field and were losing money. It helped the owners the Allyns stick it out against some people's wishes until they found an owner who would keep the team in Chicago, and that ended up being Bill Veeck again.

And if Sport Shirt Bill hadn't come through, and the Sox left town, Mad Charles Finley was standing by to fill the Windy City void with his A's.

Like one big Major League key party. The 1970s were a crazy, swinging decade, man.

As a Sox fan, I like the idea. But, using the current logo on the uniforms and a different emblem on the caps looks incredibly stupid.

The Sox wore different logos on their caps and jerseys from 1951-1975. For most of the 50's and 60's the cap logo wasn't even in an Old English style. Different design principles from a different time.

Umm, it's unique but what is the point? I mean, I can see the Black Sox unis for 2019 as a weekly throwback but this one is over my head.

They're doing some stuff to honor Dick Allen, who won the MVP award and carried the Sox to a surprising AL West second-place finish in 1972.

It's not like the Sox have a large number of championships to commemorate. I seem to remember that the Sox had come out and said they didn't want to commemorate teams that didn't win a title of some sort, but that leaves pretty slim pickings. I suspect this may have more to do with trying to distract people from the fact that the Sox are going to be fielding an overpaid, crappy team next year. To quote @OldHossRadbourn:

New White Sox Slogan: "Retro Jerseys: Because it's Easier Than Putting a Quality Team on the Field."

Being a fan from that era I am very excited to see these...I guess you just had to be there.

What I am most curious about is whether they will get the large numbers with no names correct on the back of the jersey...

2010739572762572.jpg

In recent years the Sox have done throwbacks where they get most everything right, but mess up the number font and size...

5550577506_e036f9df81_o.png

"The Sox got the number font correct when they wore those '83 throwbacks again in 2008. I wouldn't be surprised if these had no names on the jerseys, as the '17(01) and '06(2006) throwbacks they wore had no names. However, I don't think they will use the big numbers. We are lucky enough these aren't pullovers, which shouls spare us from Majestic's ridiculous "collar down to the nipple, elbow length sleeves" template.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived