Is this a rip-off?

leggman01

I was noticing the Mars Hill logo the other day and had two thoughts.

1) The arms and claws don't seem to have the same "quality" that the head does

2) The head looks an awful lot like the detailed Penn State logo

Here are the logos in question

marshill.png

pennstate.gif

There are some obvious differences - the MHC lion has an open mouth and teeth - but they seem to share A LOT of the same or VERY SIMILAR lines

look specifically at the shape above the eye on the right side, as well as the shape of the top of the head, the eyes, the whiskers and the shading - it appears as though the designer of the MHC logo simply compressed the PSU logo horizontally a bit and tweaked a few of the lines and colors and added teeth arms and claws

what are your thoughts?

jldesigns404eo.png

RIP OFF! this is just disgusting. the logo is a complete digrace. at least penn state has decency.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

• 2 weeks later...

kc51 - while i agree that it's a rip-off, and not right, at least the two entities are in different countries and play different sports - unlikely anyone would confuse one for the other

penn state and mars hill are both ncaa athletic programs (yes, they are on very different levels of the ncaa) with a mountain lion mascot

I doubt Penn State really cares. They'll probably just look the other way.

this appears to be the case - i notified the appropriate contact found here of this apparent trademark infringement on 1/25 and he has never responded to me in any way - perhaps he is working on this, but he did not even acknowlege the email

jldesigns404eo.png

Archived