TCU to unveil new graphic identity

gdu

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, the TCU mascot is actually a horned lizard, which is often referred to as a horned toad or a horned frog but in actuality is neither a toad nor a frog.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

By the way, the TCU mascot is actually a horned lizard, which is often referred to as a horned toad or a horned frog but in actuality is neither a toad nor a frog.

We know.

Horned FROG just seems to roll of the tounge better than Horned Lizard.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Hey, things could be worse...they could've been named the Longhorned Frogs.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Here's an intelligent question for whoever might know, the answer of which will go a long way toward helping me solve a hypothesis of mine.

Off the top, Oregon, Connecticut, and Florida State have all had either their entire identity or pieces of their identity (read: logos) designed by Nike (in the case of Florida State, both the "unconquered" and alternate Armdad-ish fonts as well as the alternate spear logo). My question is this: does Nike turn the rights to this stuff over to the institutions they design it for, or does Nike still own it? I vaguely remember reading somewhere that although Nike designed that "O" logo for Oregon, the school itself can't produce or sell any of its own merchandise with that logo on it since Nike still owns the copyright. (I'm farly certain the same situation applies to FSU and that alternate spear in that only Nike can produce & sell merch with that logo on it, and that all revenue off that goes back to Nike.) Anyone know anything more about this?

Here's why I'm asking all this: if it is n fact true, then it pretty much only further proves a point several of us Creamerites have been arguing, that being that all these new visual identities that keep popping up are more (if not ALL) about marketing the manufacturer--in this case, Nike--than the schools/teams themselves. ( And I used the word "marketing" for a very good reason.)

Pretty sure that Nike retains exclusive rights to the marks they create for one year, but only on apparel products.

GDU:

any word on the helmets for 2012? i was looking to acquire one of this years lids, but i'd like to hold off if i know change is coming.

I have spoken with the president of HGI about that and he says they are not working on anything "officially" for TCU next year, so I assume it will be the same shell as 2011, with a new logo.

What's the general feeling about changing the horned frog at TCU? Are the students, alums, fans receptive to it?

There have been some big backlashes against modernizing logos at college-level that come to mind (Iowa, Michigan State, Washington are some examples).

Some gnashing because the frog is associated with the current golden age of TCU football. Some don't like it because it is Nike. Some will love it before they even see it because it is Nike. Most waiting to see before judging and hoping it isn't too drastic a change.

AkclSGrCAAEwZLd.jpg

I really wish they'd put more effort into the helmet logo instead of using the exact same graphic they use for their purple helmets.

That was just a helmet the team wore this year that they set out to show recruits. It is the 2010 pro combat rivalry helmet with the sticker from the regular 2012 helmet (bc of a superstition). Just using it to show recruits. That combo will probably not be worn again and that helmet sticker will chnage in all likelihood.

And The Swoosh? strikes again.

Congratulations, Horned Reptiles...you've just been (anthra)cited.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I might be one of the rare ones who actually preferred TCU's purple and silver stuff that they wore in the WAC days...so I dont really mind the anthracizing.

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Eh. Nike makes lots of stuff to help schools it likes recruit. I won't even think about these until I know they plan on wearing them in a game. TCU has been the best out of anyone as far as I can tell about letting Nike know when it doesn't like something Nike has made.

I've seen the new horned frog and it's definitely an upgrade from what they have. Nike did a good job with this one. Not sure when it's supposed to be revealed. New typeface is similar to what Syracuse got when Nike redid their identity.

I have spoken with 2 people who have seen it, but haven't seen it myself. The comments have all been positive, so that is encouraging. Anything you can share with us about it?

Archived