The Carolina Panthers new logo is HERE

DeFrank

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like a panther giving someone a dirty look over its shoulder. I'll blame that on the way it's printed on the gloves. Considering this is Nike we're talking about, this upgrade is pretty tame. I like it.

Seven pages of comments and the first one sums it up. Totally looks like it's been startled by something and is looking back at whatever it is. :D

Compared to the old one, it's a semi-upgrade, nothing special for sure. Agree it would look awesome on a black helmet.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

While I didn't think the Panthers needed an "upgrade" this isn't too bad. The logo looks great with a white or silver background, but not so with a black or blue background without any outline.

Agree: bold. Disagree: unbold.

The more I look at this the more it grows on me. It's a perfect update for an original logo, I wonder how many casuals will even notice?

Now holy balls is this sexy on a black background. That black helmet belongs in the Babe of the Week thread, too bad it will never see the light of day. Hopefully they're changing the stripes on the helmet, if you're going to update a 90's logo, update a 90's helmet too.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I don't personally think an update was needed, but I suppose much worse could have been done. As long as they're eliminating some of the silver, it was worth it... A black helmet will be sweet. Literally.

bannernigga3-1.jpeg

Click the Banner - Join the Movement!

Bannertop.jpeg

Here's my version of the logo on their current helmet!

newpantherslogomyversion.png

Looks nice although I think the official logo released is different than the one used here. The ear looks different.

BTW, this is my 1st post here but have been lurking for a while now. Had to comment on the new Panther logo, being a Panther fan. Still digesting it but overall I think it's an upgrade. Can't wati to see what uniform changes are for next season. Interested to see the word mark in the end zones.

I always liked this full body logo and wondered why the Panthers never used it more. Would like to see an updated version of this.

342.gif

So lets say the helmet is silver, and there's no outline whatsoever around the logo, how are they actually going to apply the decal to the helmet? The whiskers look way too detailed and thin IMO to be applied on there without peeling and breaking off easily. Also the die cut registration looks like it would be extremely difficult. I'd hate to see the Panthers break their very own design rule by adding a white outline on such a prominent part of the uniform.

So lets say the helmet is silver, and there's no outline whatsoever around the logo, how are they actually going to apply the decal to the helmet? The whiskers look way too detailed and thin IMO to be applied on there without peeling and breaking off easily. Also the die cut registration looks like it would be extremely difficult. I'd hate to see the Panthers break their very own design rule by adding a white outline on such a prominent part of the uniform.

I beleive they can have portions of the helmet decals that are clear, so a clear outline may be added. I think on their current helmets, the silver part of the logo is clear on the helmet decals.

346.gifnfl_a_pantherlogo_600.jpg

Six of one, half dozen of the other. Neither logo is better than the other, so I suppose, in that sense, this makes it a successful update as far as the logo goes. That being said, I think Davidson is right on some of his remarks, and the wordmark itself is generic crap. They could have spent more time on that.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

I beleive they can have portions of the helmet decals that are clear, so a clear outline may be added. I think on their current helmets, the silver part of the logo is clear on the helmet decals.

If they can do clear then problem solved. Otherwise they'll need to add a silver outline that perfectly matches the silver of the helmet.

Are you sure the silver part is clear? It always looked like it was printed on and that the decals were a hard, white plastic.

The lower jaw line bothers me when I look at it abstractly (that line compared to the other lines in the logo); when I look at it as part of a bigger picture, I think it does a good job representing what it's supposed to.

The squinty eyes don't bother me at all. Make the face that the panther is making. If you let yourself go full panther, you'll be squinting:

4sexafhx.jpg

NO KITTY THAT'S MY POT PIE!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The silver part of the logo (eyes, nose, whiskers) are clear on the current (now old) helmet decal. If you look at high-res pictures from the games, you can see the metallic from the helmet shining through those parts.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

I'm so glad Fraser took the time to dissect this thing as he did. I couldn't get it out of my mind and was tempted to perform a post-mortem as he did. And now I don't have to!

Disclaimer - None of my criticism is meant to defend the original, or denounce the "intent" of the revisions. I feel like I see what they were going for; like it as most of you do. But the simple fact is when you veer away from the more stylized 2D one they had..where electric blue is acting merely as line...and veer toward the electric blue acting as actual light falling across the 3D form? Well, it's simply harder. It takes more skill. Evidently more skill than NFL Properties possesses.

I would ADD to Frasers critique a few additional items.

1) There is a spot where the near eyebrow transitions into the near ear. There is a blatant, rookie-type besier transition that stands out and looks like crud. (I've been there boy). It should be smoother or harsher. Pick one.

2) Fraser addresses a "clumsiness" to the eyes and I would agree. His new proposed ones fit the bill nicely. But I would expand upon that by noting that the spot of blue in corner of the near eye is more than clumsy. Much like the "divot" in the forehead that is accidentally created by unskilled application of the blue; this use of blue pulls the corner of the eye "up". Blue in this piece is the highlight tone...and while I understand you CAN get reflected highlights on the underside of objects, that does not appear to be the intent here. Why mention it? It belies a greater misunderstanding of what the artist(s) was/were trying to accomplish. Like I said, drawing like this is hard. To do it well, you need to apply visual logic and be willing to mercilessly obsess over these nuances.

3) Lastly I would add that in the original version the upper teeth are further to the right than the lower ones. This makes perfect sense. Not only are the upper teeth larger in general, but they are closer to the viewer. In many cases with most species the upper teeth are "in front" of the lower ones even with the mouth closed. But when the mouth opens the lower jaw hinges downward and the perception is exaggerated. Say what you will about the original, it has the scaling and positioning of the teeth roughly correct in terms of perspective. ( I say "roughly" because the hinging downward actually often would require depicting the teeth with some foreshortening. But I digress.

This new logo features the two sets of teeth nearly on top of one another. And the effect of that only exaggerates the "snub" nose Fraser describes AND exaggerates the sloppy strange lower lip/jaw horshoe shape. He looks pug nosed and like he is sticking his lower jaw out.

Clearly I don't post here much anymore, and that is in large part due to my schedule. But it's also because I work myself up for no reason...Part of how I've dealt with this over time is to attempt to distinguish between logos that merely aren't my cup of tea vs. ones that are poorly executed...and to save my ire for the latter. I've made this argument before on different threads. There are beautiful works of logo art (or uniforms) that I don't like for whatever reason. Lots of that is just a question of taste and that's on me. But occasionally (like now) there are instances where the execution is so sloppy and unprofessional it makes me literally angry....even if I happen to LIKE the direction they were taking.

This is one of those times.

Most (normal) people won't even notice the difference. But I'm issuing (for my own peace of mind) a verdict of fail...failure on the grounds of execution, not concept.

The Official Cheese-Filled Snack of NASCAR

The lower jaw line bothers me when I look at it abstractly (that line compared to the other lines in the logo); when I look at it as part of a bigger picture, I think it does a good job representing what it's supposed to.

The squinty eyes don't bother me at all. Make the face that the panther is making. If you let yourself go full panther, you'll be squinting:

4sexafhx.jpg

NO KITTY THAT'S MY POT PIE!

Dammit I laughed at that. :grin:

b0b5d4f702adf623d75285ca50ee7632.jpg
Why you make fun of me? I make concept for Auburn champions and you make fun of me. I cry tears.
Chopping off the dicks of Filipino boys and embracing causes that promote bigotry =/= strong moral character.

Archived