The Carolina Panthers new logo is HERE

DeFrank

Okay, having lived with it for a few days, I agree that the flaws are glaring, but it's still a big upgrade.

Frustrating, since it's dragged down by some amateurish Illustrator work, but still an upgrade.

Maybe I just love the new logo or maybe it could be that life in general has slowly eroded my expectations about anything, but I have to agree; Its an upgrade.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess there's always that remote possibility that a couple years down the line, there could be another update to fix some of the minor issues. But, most people aren't designers and would never notice the flaws even if you pointed them out.

I still think the logo will look really nice once we see it embroidered onto a cap. The old logo was like that: though flat when digitized, the embroidered version had lots of raised stitching that really made it a pretty decent logo. I imagine this will be the same.

This little scrag end is the worst bit for my money. It looks worst on the blue background version.

worstbit.png

Honestly, it's high school level vector art. I believe the concept was correct in terms of what they were trying to do (such as eliminating the key line or adding a light source) but they failed miserably on the execution of the concept.

Another reason I like key lines is because I find that sometimes, it just makes the logo look "tighter," because there's something along the outside pulling it all together. The logo looks fine w/o one so long as it's placed against the recommend colors (white, black, blue). But anything else, I think a thin one will be needed.

What other logos don't have a key line?

As people have previously stated, the colts logo reverses to white when placed on blue, but it's supposed to use a keyline when placed on other dark colors.

The Blackhawks is the best example I can think of off the top of my head. When placed on black, the keyline and hair drops out to the background color (not sure why they sometimes print the black on black, though).

6365100_636510001.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

What other logos don't have a key line?

As people have previously stated, the colts logo reverses to white when placed on blue, but it's supposed to use a keyline when placed on other dark colors.

The Blackhawks is the best example I can think of off the top of my head. When placed on black, the keyline and hair drops out to the background color (not sure why they sometimes print the black on black, though).

6365100_636510001.jpg

The bigger problem there is that it creates the illusion of two shades of black, which is always disgusting to look at.

spacer.png

Mike says Richardson told him, however, that the owner was a traditionalist and that the uniforms wouldn't be changing in Richardson's lifetime, as Mike wrote to me in an email and reiterated in a later phone conversation we had.

However, this is interesting. Mike said Richardson also told him that the Panthers' helmet would change in 2012 but that he wasn't going to go into specifics about that.

As Mike said: "He stated we will see some changes in the helmet but wouldn't go into detail."

Now, the Panthers' helmet must change some -- the new logo dictates that. But will the helmet color change? Will anything else change besides the logo on the helmet?

That's the latest -- and maybe the only real remaining -- question about what the Panthers will wear in 2012. Forget about the uniforms -- they aren't going anywhere.

Mike, meanwhile, still wishes the uniforms would change, although he now recognizes that is a lost cause (all those Panther uniform prototypes on the Internet, incidentally, are fake). But he's a huge Panther fan and loved talking to Richardson. Mike said that Richardson's phone call "made my day, my week, my month and my year."

Read more here: http://scottfowlerobs.blogspot.com/2012/02/richardson-tells-panther-fan-that.html#storylink=cpy

https://twitter.com/#!/JacBower9

Check the background... is that Cam Newton with a black helmet?

EDIT:

I was sitting back in my chair and it looked like he was facing downward, but it's clearly a silver helmet from the appropriate angle.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Here is what I would have done:

PanthersLogo.png

PanthersHelmet.png

Here is a full body version.

PanthersBody.png

Why do you have to be so good at design?

Like, this just is so much better than what NFL Properties came up with, it's not fair.

also the panther looks like hes been cut up right now. better fix that.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Here is what I would have done:

PanthersLogo.png

PanthersHelmet.png

Here is a full body version.

PanthersBody.png

Why do you have to be so good at design?

Like, this just is so much better than what NFL Properties came up with, it's not fair.

also the panther looks like hes been cut up right now. better fix that.

Ill get right on it.

Archived