Tampa Bay Lightning- One Year Later

sportstar1212

It's been a year since the Tampa Bay Lightning unveiled their new branding, cutting down the colors to just blue and white (wasn't there already a blue and white team around) and simplifying the logo to its most basic elements. And the new jerseys were reminiscent of the iconic Detroit Red Wings look, most likely an idea of Stevie Y. So my question to you guys is: Have your initial thoughts of it changed? Has it grown on you? For me, I liked it from the start but it grew on me even more, I plan on picking up a Stamkos one soon. Leave your thoughts below.

0131-tbl-playersmodel.jpg

tabl-lg1.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like I've said before, the addition of black to the numbers and pants (plus the lighting bolt) changed the look dramatically. I really didn't like it, when it was first revealed. When the renditions of the changes came out, I thought it was better but not anything great. Now that I've seen them live and in person, I think they are actually pretty cool. There's talk that next season, they will make some more changes to the jersey. Victory stripes and a tiny more black to the jersey would make it better, but not much needs to be done.

I hate saying this but - needs more black. The blue could be more electric, even leaning into purple slightly. They flushed identity to make a decent set, but it's very drab.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Has it already been a year? Wow.

I didn't understand why the change was made at first. It was dull, and at the time I felt they had succeeded the Ducks as having the most boring uniforms in the league. Not too long later it grew on me, and I started to really like the look for having a sort of satisfyingly clean feel to it.

As for the later addition of black to the numbers and the lightning pant stripe, it comes across as being half assed. Why not even a little bit on the jerseys? That would have at least helped them look less like the Leafs.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I still wish the Tampa Bay Fighting Mosleys stuck with their old look.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

One year later, they're still one of the best-dressed teams in the NHL.

Seconded. Never got all the hate for these duds.

Because they suck.

They are, as someone said before, trying to be a team they aren't. When they are on the ice with the Leafs like earlier this year, it looks like a Leafs practice game.

The logo is a bull :censored: bland clip art logo with no depth and no color. The 2 colors are not cutting it. Adding black around the numbers was just a stupid attempt to appease the upset fans. They need to add black in mass amounts, especially to the logo. The logo will still suck, the copy of Toronto plain blue, but at least adding black and or white to add depth like the previous logo would be an improvement. Theses jerseys will continue to suck until black is added back in more than just pitiful lines that are barely noticeable.

It is easily the worst logo in the league. And the uniforms are just garbage. The set we had before was excellent. But Y and Vinik wanted to put their on mark on the team, and gave us a :censored:ty logo and copycat jerseys. I still can't stand it, and refuse to buy or wear anything with the new logo on it. The jersey they gave us for being season ticket holders with the chip in the sleeve? I bought a patch from the previous logo and put it on top. Stupid? Maybe, but it gets my point across.

The state of FL fails so damn hard at new unis/logos for pro teams. It's pathetic.

They are a copycat of the Leafs/Wings with a pathetic logo I'd expect to find on Microsoft's clip art section.

Last year: F.

This year: F.

I'd give them an F minus if I could. I look forward to when the next owner comes in and fixes this mess. It will happen, the team loses too much money for long term ownership. His investment in the arena, team, and such means he will stick around for a few years. But not sure how long after.

This is another example of a team making drastic and unneeded changes without giving a damn what the fans think or would like.

My hate for these runs strong. I love my Bolts and always will, but the fact they have to look like :censored: on the ice just pisses me off.

2ly2w09.jpg

my take:

the blue is too dark. they could have been more unique and used their original electric blue. though then they'd run the risk of looking like the nordiques. but at least they're not using the look anymore.

they don't HAVE to include black. they just have to do something that sets them apart from toronto. cause right now it's too close for my tastes. the bolt on the pants is a good addition, and they probably need to bring back the victory stripes.

my main beef with the package is the applications of the logo. this may not be the easiest rant to follow, but here it goes. the bolts are the ONLY team that uses a 1-color logo. they want to be like the wings and the leafs, but those teams have 2 color logos. red and white for detroit, blue and white for toronto. they have specific applications for how they appear on different background colors. the lightning simply use the white shape or the blue shape. on a green background, for instance (like on an upcoming games graphic on a dallas stars schedule), the logo should be both blue and white on a green background. not just white on top of green. and certainly not blue on top of green. white doesn't have to mean transparent in logo design... but that's how the lightning play it, and it looks awful and stands out in a bad way when shown with all the other logos. the leafs and wings get it right. the bolts seem to have out simplified both of their muses, to their own detriment.

also, unpopular opinion: the white jersey is miles ahead of the blue one. the TAMPA BAY script above the bolt makes it somewhat unique and i love how it looks. if i had to buy a bolts jersey, it'd be that one.

While I didn't like the old (or older) look and thought they could use blue more dropping the silver completely and only having a little black (around the numbers after a fan protest) was a bad move. It basically cut any link to their Cup winning year, which is a horrible branding mistake. Add in the fact that the uniforms are basically a blue version of the Red Wings and it makes it worse because it looks like you are trying to leach onto another team (or teams if you want to add in the similarity to the Leafs look).

Horrible, Horrible decision.

It is easily the worst logo in the league. And the uniforms are just garbage. The set we had before was excellent. But Y and Vinik wanted to put their on mark on the team, and gave us a :censored:ty logo and copycat jerseys.

My hate for these runs strong. I love my Bolts and always will, but the fact they have to look like :censored: on the ice just pisses me off.

Excellent, you say?

lecavalier-st.louis-prospal.jpg

Are we talking about the same jersey? I'm sorry, but some balance is required. Yes, the new ones look too much like the Leafs, but the previous jerseys WERE garbage

That's my thought as well.

I don't care if anyone think the Lightning stole their look from a well-dressed team. At least that makes the Lightning, by extension, look like a well-dressed team, which would be a first.

I completely agree with you. They could have picked worse teams to emulate.

Has it already been a year? Wow.

I didn't understand why the change was made at first. It was dull, and at the time I felt they had succeeded the Ducks as having the most boring uniforms in the league. Not too long later it grew on me, and I started to really like the look for having a sort of satisfyingly clean feel to it.

As for the later addition of black to the numbers and the lightning pant stripe, it comes across as being half assed. Why not even a little bit on the jerseys? That would have at least helped them look less like the Leafs.

Dallas is still more boring than either TBL or ANA.

You're. Not. An. Original. Six. Team. Stop. Trying. To. Be. One.

All. Of. This.

~~~~

It is easily the worst logo in the league. And the uniforms are just garbage. The set we had before was excellent. But Y and Vinik wanted to put their on mark on the team, and gave us a :censored:ty logo and copycat jerseys.

Excellent, you say?

lecavalier-st.louis-prospal.jpg

Are we talking about the same jersey? I'm sorry, but some balance is required. Yes, the new ones look too much like the Leafs, but the previous jerseys WERE garbage

A lot of people forget about this jersey, which is great:

stlouis_06072004.jpg

And the previous jerseys weren't half bad either.

spacer.png

Archived