Tampa Bay Lightning- One Year Later

sportstar1212

I hate saying this but - needs more black. The blue could be more electric, even leaning into purple slightly. They flushed identity to make a decent set, but it's very drab.

+1, and I share the same sentiment about black for the most part. Black and blue just seemed to work for Tampa Bay.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One year later and the uniforms look just as bad as the day they were unveiled. Steve Yzerman sucked out all the tradition and personality of the team's identity in one fell swoop.

-Silver and Black? Gone! (No, the thin outline around the numbers and pant bolt does not cut it)

-The Victory Stripes? Also gone

-The logo? Even more generic and clip arty than any past iteration.

-The Striping? Lifted directly from the Red Wings

When a team has the same basic look for 11 years culminating in the ultimate prize, you do not abruptly change it 2 seasons later and again 3 seasons later! Was the teams first logo perfect? Hell no! But it was better than anything that came after and the same goes for the jerseys. Bring them back and don't change them again

davenadreychuk.jpg

The jerseys that the Lightning won the Cup in were my least favorite in the league at the time. Way too much black and white and the white yoke on the black jersey looked horrible. That logo was really bad too and the font used on it was terrible.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

It's a good look. I could care less that people think it looks too much like the Leafs or have an uniform that evokes an original 6 team. I really wish they stuck to their guns and released the original set without any black or the bolt on the pants or simply added one black stripe above the blue similar to how those fake Winnipeg Jets jersey looked like.

I just don't get it honestly.

What are things people around here hate the most? The color black,modern designs, and logos with too much detail.

Tampa Bay got rid of black, went to a very traditional design, and a very simplified and iconic looking logo...now all of a sudden it's terrible?

british_union_fascists_united_kingdom_sticker-p217967629771511071z85xz_400.jpg

This logo is for the British Union of Fascists. I'm not saying it's same, but similar, and this is the logo I wouldn't want to be associated with.

Putting that a side I think the new look is a major upgrade. If we separate logo and uniforms, logo is major update, and uniforms could be a bit better, they are just to blank, and having a bolt in the logo, they could incorporate it in unit as well. The thing that I hate the most are numbers that have an outline, so not fitting with new look.

What are things people around here hate the most? The color black,modern designs, and logos with too much detail.

Tampa Bay got rid of black, went to a very traditional design, and a very simplified and iconic looking logo...now all of a sudden it's terrible?

I hate they got rid of a unique design and a logo that looked like it took more than 5 minutes to come up with.

Bland and simple have always been terrible to me. Some teams I accept it, Yankees and such. But that isn't the Lightning. They are a team from the 90's and with their name can have a very cool logo and uni set. But they went with this and I'm just pissed.

Iconic looking? Lol, I hope you're being sarcastic.

The design is a rip off of other teams, they aren't a traditional team.

2ly2w09.jpg

I'm not opposed to the design, they look good. It does, however, take me more than a moment to distinguish them from the Maple Leafs when watching highlight clips, and that is highly annoying.

They need some black to better separate themselves from the Leafs.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

What works for one team does not work for another. The Lightning are a 90's expansion team. They should use a modern palette and a detailed logo.

The forced black is the only thing wrong with this identity.

Their first incarnation of the simplifed look was the best (outside of the lightning on the pants. That was a good addition)

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

british_union_fascists_united_kingdom_sticker-p217967629771511071z85xz_400.jpg

This logo is for the British Union of Fascists. I'm not saying it's same, but similar, and this is the logo I wouldn't want to be associated with.

Putting that a side I think the new look is a major upgrade. If we separate logo and uniforms, logo is major update, and uniforms could be a bit better, they are just to blank, and having a bolt in the logo, they could incorporate it in unit as well. The thing that I hate the most are numbers that have an outline, so not fitting with new look.

The logos really aren't that similar at all. I don't believe anyone would mistake the two ever. If anything the bolt's new logo looks like the Electric Sunglasses logo.

I think you misread the hate of black. I think it's more a love of tradition instead of trends. If, say, the Maple Leafs came out with a black jersey, that would be ridiculous. Black's never been a color for them. And it's not just black; remember the nearly-universal dislike of the Panthers' blue alts? The Panthers are red, and to have a jersey with no red in it at all is silly.

So.. the Tampa design. I generally overall like the design. The logo's much better than their previous logos. But Tampa's black, blue, and silver. Their entire existence before this change--20 years, which is not an insignificant time, even if it's short in comparison to the "original six"--black was their primary color. Now it's nearly completely gone, and that doesn't settle well with me.

So close, yet so very far.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

What works for one team does not work for another. The Lightning are a 90's expansion team. They should use a modern palette and a detailed logo.

But why? Where does it say that the Lightning are required to do that?

It seems like people want the Bolts to be the Solar Bears pt 2, and they went with something simple and classic. I see plenty of the new gear around and many of the pre-Edge logo. That tells me that not many people really cared about the previous logo or they much prefer this one. If they don't like the gear they don't have to buy it.

2IA3b.png

But why? Where does it say that the Lightning are required to do that?

It seems like people want the Bolts to be the Solar Bears pt 2, and they went with something simple and classic. I see plenty of the new gear around and many of the pre-Edge logo. That tells me that not many people really cared about the previous logo or they much prefer this one. If they don't like the gear they don't have to buy it.

It's hardly required and nobody is advocating they do what the Solar Bears did. It's just that the team had a solid, recognizable identity for it's first 11 seasons which culminated in a Stanley Cup Victory. I could live with a slight upgrade on the logo (The 2007 one was fine, the jerseys were not) but besides that, those jerseys should have never been changed. All the recognizable elements of their established identity have been flushed down the toilet.

-The primarily Black Uniforms with minimal blue highlights

-The Shimmering Silver circle encasing the Lightning Bolt

-The victory stripes

Replaced with arguably the most unoriginal jersey to ever hit the ice. They infringe on the Leafs colour scheme, The Red Wings stripes and every lightning based logo to ever grace a product or otherwise. All to play original six dress-up.

Quite frankly, all they needed to do was take the alternate jersey, replace the "Bolts" wordmark with the primary logo, maybe get rid of the Tampa Bay on the bottom of the back, make a white version, and call it a day. I can live with the piping and the black underarms. If it weren't for the wordmark, that would probably be the best the Lightning have looked in their existence, IMO

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Quite frankly, all they needed to do was take the alternate jersey, replace the "Bolts" wordmark with the primary logo, maybe get rid of the Tampa Bay on the bottom of the back, make a white version, and call it a day. I can live with the piping and the black underarms. If it weren't for the wordmark, that would probably be the best the Lightning have looked in their existence, IMO

I definitely agree with this. Their third sweaters have a great balance between blue, black, and silver. If they made a white version of that and made it the primary set I don't think there would be many people complaining about their uniforms at all.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

One year later and I still think the rebrand SUCKS!

I still think the new primary logo is horrible, and I still think the jerseys lame and too much like the Leafs. The secondary logo shoulder patch is the only thing I actually like out of all that is new.

Their primary logo from 2007-2011and team colours were much better IMO.

You're. Not. An. Original. Six. Team. Stop. Trying. To. Be. One.

you made my day

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I found this JPEG while digging through some old graphics from the early 2000s:

21906.jpg

Don't know who this mark belongs to - the URL is dead - but is interesting nonetheless.

I have all kinds of problems with the current Lightning identity, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they went with Blue and White like the Maple Leafs using the SAME EXACT SHADE OF BLUE.

Why not a lighter shade of Blue? Why not Black and White? Something to differentiate them from the Leafs. Just stupid, IMO.

The other major problem is that their primary mark is depicted as White against a non-White background...TV graphics tend to just show them as a White blob on the bottom of the screen when displaying scores or in tandem with other teams.

Archived