Tampa Bay Lightning- One Year Later

sportstar1212

I have all kinds of problems with the current Lightning identity, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they went with Blue and White like the Maple Leafs using the SAME EXACT SHADE OF BLUE.

Sounds like it could have been a Reebok consideration? Didn't you say that the Coyotes and Avalanche use the exact same shade?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have all kinds of problems with the current Lightning identity, but I can't for the life of me figure out why they went with Blue and White like the Maple Leafs using the SAME EXACT SHADE OF BLUE.

Sounds like it could have been a Reebok consideration? Didn't you say that the Coyotes and Avalanche use the exact same shade?

It was a Lightning decision, actually. They stated that during the design process they narrowed the shade of blue down to two choices. The shade used by the Yankees and the shade used by the Maple Leafs. They opted for the Maple Leafs' shade.

It was a Lightning decision, actually. They stated that during the design process they narrowed the shade of blue down to two choices. The shade used by the Yankees and the shade used by the Maple Leafs. They opted for the Maple Leafs' shade.

I highly doubt it. The Lightning have used the Same shade of blue since 2002.

True, but why couldn't they have picked a shade that they could have claimed as their own?

I would think that if you're going to go the one-color-plus-White route, you should at least pick a color that makes you stand out from the others. Heck, maybe they should have gone with the original "Hawaiian Blue":

TampaBayLightningBlue_2001_SCC_SRGB.png <---> TampaBayLightningBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Disclaimer: the shade of Blue used by both the Maple Leafs and Lightning on-ice (re: fabric color) is quite a bit lighter than this example which is used in print.

Oh - the Coyotes and Avalanche are close, but not the same:

PhoenixCoyotesRed_9999_SCC_SRGB.png <---> ColoradoAvalancheBurgundy_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

True, but why couldn't they have picked a shade that they could have claimed as their own?

I would think that if you're going to go the one-color-plus-White route, you should at least pick a color that makes you stand out from the others. Heck, maybe they should have gone with the original "Hawaiian Blue":

TampaBayLightningBlue_2001_SCC_SRGB.png <---> TampaBayLightningBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Disclaimer: the shade of Blue used by both the Maple Leafs and Lightning on-ice (re: fabric color) is quite a bit lighter than this example which is used in print.

Oh - the Coyotes and Avalanche are close, but not the same:

PhoenixCoyotesRed_9999_SCC_SRGB.png <---> ColoradoAvalancheBurgundy_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

is the light blue the jets use the same as the avs?

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

is the light blue the jets use the same as the avs?

Not quite:

WinnipegJetsBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png <---> ColoradoAvalancheBlue_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

thanks dude!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Completely agree. From the outset, when I heard about black and silver being ditched, I was disappointed, because the Lightning always wore black as their dominant color, and dropping that entirely (and even now) was a mistake.

I was hoping that the re-brand would be an emphasis on blue, while fixing up the awful EDGE template they had. I wasn't hoping it would mean they would look like the Sun Belt Leafs for the fore-seeable future. For everything Vinik and Yzerman have done well for the franchise in their short times here, this was their biggest mistake,

spacer.png

Archived