2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AL WC: Blue Jays/Royals

As much as I would love for this to happen.... you really, truly think the Jays and Royals are better than the Yankees and Red Sox?

Not necessarily better per se... but I think the Yanks and Sawx will disappoint this year (which means ESPN will become the Phillies Network instead). I especially don't get the hype lingering around the Red Sox. They had a disastrous offseason and are coming off two straight years of missing the playoffs.

And I also think the Jays and Royals will really surprise people this year.

I agree that the Jays and Royals will be competitive this year... but a few points:

1) The Royals rotation is headlined by Jonathan Sanchez, Bruce Chen and Luke Hochevar. I don't care how much you dislike the Sox and Yankees (and I do, a ton), that is not a playoff rotation. I do love their young hitters though.

2) The Red Sox have not had a disastrous offseason, they had a disastrous September. Last offseason they made added 2 marquee players (I think Crawford bounces back), enough to account for this year. They replaced Pap with 2 competent closers. Buccholz will probably come back strong from injury. I hate to say it, but I highly doubt they win less than 90 games.

3) I think the Jays could outright win the NL Central, NL West or AL Central this year, but I enjoy the challenge of trying to topple NYY/BOS. They're just not quite there yet. Need major progression from Lind, Rasmus, Snider and Morrow, and continued excellence from Bautista and Lawrie to have any shot. But they have a top 3 farm system and I'm really optimistic about 2013-2015.

As much as I would love for this to happen.... you really, truly think the Jays and Royals are better than the Yankees and Red Sox?

Not necessarily better per se... but I think the Yanks and Sawx will disappoint this year (which means ESPN will become the Phillies Network instead). I especially don't get the hype lingering around the Red Sox. They had a disastrous offseason and are coming off two straight years of missing the playoffs.

I agree that the Jays and Royals will be competitive this year... but a few points:

1) The Royals rotation is headlined by Jonathan Sanchez, Bruce Chen and Luke Hochevar. I don't care how much you dislike the Sox and Yankees (and I do, a ton), that is not a playoff rotation. I do love their young hitters though.

2) The Red Sox have not had a disastrous offseason, they had a disastrous September. Last offseason they made added 2 marquee players (I think Crawford bounces back), enough to account for this year. They replaced Pap with 2 competent closers. Buccholz will probably come back strong from injury. I hate to say it, but I highly doubt they win less than 90 games.

3) I think the Jays could outright win the NL Central, NL West or AL Central this year, but I enjoy the challenge of trying to topple NYY/BOS. They're just not quite there yet. Need major progression from Lind, Rasmus, Snider and Morrow, and continued excellence from Bautista and Lawrie to have any shot. But they have a top 3 farm system and I'm really optimistic about 2013-2015.

By 2014, it's arguable that four of the top 10 teams in the American League could be in the AL East. You guys are going to be very good very soon.

spacer.png

By 2014, it's arguable that four of the top 10 teams in the American League could be in the AL East. You guys are going to be very good very soon.

Considering there's only 14 teams in the AL and I'd say the Jays are better than the A's, Mariners, Orioles, Indians, Royals and maybe on par with the Twins or White Sox, (and better the Astros next year), Jays are definitely top 10 in the AL in my book.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Considering there's only 14 teams in the AL and I'd say the Jays are better than the A's, Mariners, Orioles, Indians, Royals and maybe on par with the Twins or White Sox, (and better the Astros next year), Jays are definitely top 10 in the AL in my book.

I'd say they Royals are a few good pitchers away from being on-par with the Blue Jays, and by 2014 will be better than the Twins and White Sox.

spacer.png

That or all their good players will be on different teams, as is their usual employment plan. The Royals will be a spoiler team, but not a legitimate contender for anything other than 4th place, maybe 3rd depending on how bad the AL Central is this year outside of Detroit. I'd say the East may come down to te Sawx and Yanks, but other than Baltimore (who isn't exactly terrible), it really could be called anyone's division. This year the West is just gonna be the Rangers and Angels. Either or A's or Mariners have the possibility of being competitive, but the other two are just too dominant. And in fact I'd still give the slight edge to te Rangers. I dint think losing Wilson will be that big of a loss and the Angels improved, but with aging players. They do have a nice mix of youth and experience, but it's gonna be close.

The NL East is similar to it's AL counterpart, but the Marlins and Nationals, though improved, are inferior to the Jays and Rays. Phillies and Braves will probably be the only ones contending come the end of August. Slight edge to the Fish over the Nats. NL Central, I pick the Cardinals by default, but it's gonna be a good race with the Reds. That's the top tier of tge division with the Pirates and Brewers in the middle and the Cubs and Astros at the bottom. NL West is also pretty wide open minus the Padres. I'd give the D-Backs the benefit of the doubt right now, but Posey coming back is gonna help the Giants. Rockies and Dodgers could go either way, really good or really disappointing.

That's my rundown.

That or all their good players will be on different teams, as is their usual employment plan. The Royals will be a spoiler team, but not a legitimate contender for anything other than 4th place, maybe 3rd depending on how bad the AL Central is this year outside of Detroit. I'd say the East may come down to te Sawx and Yanks, but other than Baltimore (who isn't exactly terrible), it really could be called anyone's division. This year the West is just gonna be the Rangers and Angels. Either or A's or Mariners have the possibility of being competitive, but the other two are just too dominant. And in fact I'd still give the slight edge to te Rangers. I dint think losing Wilson will be that big of a loss and the Angels improved, but with aging players. They do have a nice mix of youth and experience, but it's gonna be close.

The NL East is similar to it's AL counterpart, but the Marlins and Nationals, though improved, are inferior to the Jays and Rays. Phillies and Braves will probably be the only ones contending come the end of August. Slight edge to the Fish over the Nats. NL Central, I pick the Cardinals by default, but it's gonna be a good race with the Reds. That's the top tier of tge division with the Pirates and Brewers in the middle and the Cubs and Astros at the bottom. NL West is also pretty wide open minus the Padres. I'd give the D-Backs the benefit of the doubt right now, but Posey coming back is gonna help the Giants. Rockies and Dodgers could go either way, really good or really disappointing.

That's my rundown.

The NL East is going to be really good this year, and I think the Nats will make a lot of noise.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Unlike the Rays, the Blue Jays will actually be able to lock up their elite talent and not watch them leave to NY/Bos. In a few years, I could definitely see them being one of the top teams in the AL. The starting pitching needs some more experience and Rasmus and Johnson need to make the most of their new opportunities, but other than that, there really aren't a lot of question marks.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Braun won his appeal. 50 game suspension has been lifted.

MLB says it "vehemently disagrees" with the ruling.

MLB can go to hell.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

His only argument was that the guy thought FedExKinkos was closed and took it in the next day. Seriously. Doesn't exactly clear his name. No reasoning has been announced for the overturn, nor did Braun argue anything other than the aforementioned delivery. Not exactly exonerating evidence. Really looks like he was cleared because he's Ryan Braun.

His only argument was that the guy thought FedExKinkos was closed and took it in the next day. Seriously. Doesn't exactly clear his name. No reasoning has been announced for the overturn, nor did Braun argue anything other than the aforementioned delivery. Not exactly exonerating evidence. Really looks like he was cleared because he's Ryan Braun.

Or because he could have sued MLB for confidentiality violation regarding his original positive test. In fact, he still could. Meaning, if he does not, that this decision will soon reek of a quid pro quo.

CCSLC signature.png

Just goes to show how ridiculous the steroid paranoia has become in the MLB. I'm glad Braun was able to fight back and get reinstated.

And no... what really clears Braun's name is that in one of the tests, his testosterone level was ridiculously high (doubling the previous MLB record), and would be considered dangerous by most doctors if real. So either Braun is a freaking medical miracle, or it was a severely-flawed test.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The MLB's the one that brings in the third party to make the ruling so they can disagree with it all they want. In fact, everyone can disagree with it all they want, the man won his appeal and he's innocent.

MLB can go to hell.

F***king agreed. Selig is going all butt-buddy on his toy franchise.

And that is why he vehemently disagrees with the ruling.

/READ DUMMY!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Chalk up another commisioner who hates LA-based sports teams.

First, David Stern screws the Lakers with the whole CP3 thing, then Roger Goodell tells that LA is not ready to host the NFL again until the stadium proposals can prove to benefit the NFL (milking taxpayers). Now, Selig tells Matt Kemp to go f*** off and throw away the PED tests of that cheating bastard Brawn.

What's next? Gary Bettham secretly relocates the Kings to shut the people of Quebec City up?

MLB can go to hell.

F***king agreed. Selig is going all butt-buddy on his toy franchise.

And that is why he vehemently disagrees with the ruling.

/READ DUMMY!

You really believe Selig's Milwaukee connection didn't have an influence on the overturn?

Archived