2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

It's the BBWAA being on its collective high horse.

Roger Clemens is absolutely a Hall of Famer, as is Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, etc. Performance enhancers, of any kind, have been around as long as baseball has, and are likely still in the game today in some form. By trying to "withhold the integrity" of the Hall, the BBWAA is actually wrecking it.

Irony FTW.

spacer.png

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger Clemens is absolutely a Hall of Famer, as is Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, etc. Performance enhancers, of any kind, have been around as long as baseball has, and are likely still in the game today in some form. By trying to "withhold the integrity" of the Hall, the BBWAA is actually wrecking it.

Irony FTW.

BUT MY NOSTALGIC CHILDHOOD MEMORIES OF WATCHING TEN FOOT TALL STRAPPING GIANTS GIVING THEIR ALL FOR A TEAM FOR PENNIES ON THE DOLLAR THANKS TO THE RESERVE CLAUSE WHILE I CHOWED DOWN ON 25 CENT BAGS OF POPCORN! THOSE HEROES OF YESTERYEAR WOULD NEVER DO THAT!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Forgot to post this yesterday, but Kyle Drabek will undergo Tommy John again.

One door closes and another one opens? I'm running out of cheesy "on the bright side" sayings.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

One door closes and another one opens? I'm running out of cheesy "on the bright side" sayings.

Already two, at his age. Not good!

This is looking like a failed deal, unless Drabek can get back, and be decent. That's all we can really hope for now.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I don't think the BBWAA has ever had a non-high horse experience. They really have way too much power, and they know it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Already two, at his age. Not good!

This is looking like a failed deal, unless Drabek can get back, and be decent. That's all we can really hope for now.

Provided he doesn't have Dustin McGowan luck, I think he'll still be able to become a good pitcher. And even if he doesn't, we still have the best catching prospect in baseball as well as Gose to show for the trade.

Needless to say, Cecil and co must step up in the absence of Morrow/Kyle/Drew if they want to play meaningful games in September. Villanueva is capable of filling in short-term and I have faith in Cecil, but the third farmhand guy will be key.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

What can you say for Mark Trumbo and Mike Trout? Those two have been absolutely killing it for the Halos as of late. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see both players representing the Angels in K.C. next month.

6uXNWAo.png

Dave Barnett has a Granpa Simpson moment

Texas Rangers TV play-by-play man Dave Barnett had a bizarre on-air moment in the 8th inning of the game between the Rangers and San Diego Padres on Monday night.

During a brief break in play the veteran broadcaster claimed the go-ahead run was at ?fifth? and rambled on about a ?botched robbery? and something about a ?henchman.?. His microphone was cut off for a few moments. He then returned to finish the game

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2012/06/19/rangers-broadcaster-barnett-ok-following-bizarre-on-air-moment/

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Aroldis Chapman gave up the walkoff home run to Cleveland last night and now I have a hole to repair in my apartment wall. I hope my drywall repair skills from when I worked construction aren't too rusty. I'd like to get my deposit back when I move out. Kids, don't hold a baseball while you watch baseball.

and in the hard to believe stat department: Joey Votto is 42 for his last 84. The guy is batting .500 in his last 23 games. Are you understanding the enormity of this?! He's gotten a hit in half his at-bats for 3 weeks! That's nuts.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Aroldis Chapman gave up the walkoff home run to Cleveland last night and now I have a hole to repair in my apartment wall.

Are you saying the home run landed in your apartment? :)

For a guy who looks like he's completely and totally out of it during press conferences, Davey Johnson sure is a sharp one. Props to him for catching it.

I don't think Davey "caught it." I think he knew about it when Peralta played for Washington.

Irony FTW.

Excellently said. The feats of Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, etc. STILL HAPPENED. However they became amazing baseball players, they were amazing baseball players.

I've yet to see the movement to remove admitted illegal spitballers from the Hall of Fame. I've yet to see the witch hunt to identify and removing all the players who were popping greenies from the Hall of Fame. That's because it's asinine.

When you catch a cheater cheating, you punish them. You don't remove any of their accomplishments, you simply hand out the punishments. And if you never caught them... damn. But their accomplishments stand. And since the Hall of Fame is based on accomplishments, those who have them deserve to to be in it.

Once Bonds is eligible and presumably not voted in, the Baseball Hall of Fame will not feature it's career hits or career home runs leader. That's a farce.

Excellently said. The feats of Bonds, McGwire, Clemens, etc. STILL HAPPENED. However they became amazing baseball players, they were amazing baseball players.

Baseball's gonna go down the :censored:ter if that's the popular mantra.

And since you're so big on punishing players if they cheat, then forbidding access to the Hall of Fame is a decent punishment.

And since you're so big on punishing players if they cheat, then forbidding access to the Hall of Fame is a decent punishment.

I dunno, pretending something never happened strikes me as a poor way to handle future education about it. And there's also the not minor illogic of Amphetamines are right as rain, but steroids are bad that we currently have going with the Hall.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Irony FTW.

I've yet to see the movement to remove admitted illegal spitballers from the Hall of Fame. I've yet to see the witch hunt to identify and removing all the players who were popping greenies from the Hall of Fame. That's because it's asinine.

When you catch a cheater cheating, you punish them. You don't remove any of their accomplishments, you simply hand out the punishments. And if you never caught them... damn. But their accomplishments stand. And since the Hall of Fame is based on accomplishments, those who have them deserve to to be in it.

Once Bonds is eligible and presumably not voted in, the Baseball Hall of Fame will not feature it's CAREER HITS or career home runs leader. That's a farce.

Some interesting points made.

Italics: I guess it comes to the point of just how much they disgraced the game. And you know what, I think how much they disgraced the game is overstated. I particularly feel this way about anyone (including that initial 5 to 7 percent) that used PEDs before baseball disallowed them. MLB turned it's head away from this. Call it a technicality, but they did not break the rules.

Bold: It's funny that baseball almost has this "if you ain't cheeting, you aint" trying thing going on...and we tend to laugh at pitchers who get caught doctoring the ball. I am not saying PEDs are OK, but it's funny how inconsistently we react to things. I'll never forget the 1987 Twins, when Joe Niekro was caught with an emory board. Everyone was laughing at that. I think that got him on Letterman or the Tonight Show or something.

Underlined: This is a good point too. Even if you ignore the "greenies", I suspect 'roids have been around MLB since WAY before the "steroid era." Remember Ben Johnson (Canadian Olympian) in 1988? And he was not the first...did it take baseball players that long to figure it out? Do we just get serious about those not lucky enough to be HOF eligible before the crackdown? I think 'roids could play a role in recovery to get a guy to play every game (ie. Cal) and they could bring a guy from 0 to 28 home runs and give him a mean edge off the field (ie Kirby). But it's easier to pretend steroids in baseball started in 1998...there is no way that's the case.

CAPS: No question that Pete Rose DID disgrace the game. He did it as a manager...I'd like him in as a player, though.

Anyway, if I had a vote, I'd vote for anyone (who has the credentials) that did not test positive when it was against the rules. That means Bonds, Clemens, McGwire, Sosa, etc. To not vote for them on "suspician" is a slippery slope. If Jim Thome did not use PEDs, then his 600 HR is quite a feat, matched by few "believed to be clean" players...is that enough to suspect him? And, really, particularly from the pre-testing days, you could suspect anyone. Nobody from 1980 to now should get in...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I dunno, pretending something never happened strikes me as a poor way to handle future education about it.

Baseball has acknowledged that the accomplishments have happened. The records are there and will always be there. Choosing to honor the individual in perpetuity is something else entirely.

The "however they do it doesn't matter because they were amazing" was the mantra I had problems with, not the "records happened".

Archived