2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

And CP3/Kobe/Bynum wouldn't have brought the Lakers a title by itself either. There'd be even less depth than the Lakers have now. There is much more of a mess for the Lakers than just not having CP3.

It also wouldn't have helped the Hornets at all. Sure, they'd barely sneak in to the playoffs and get swept immediately in the first round, but that's just delaying the inevitable. And if there ever was a year to tank completely, it would be this year, where the draft is really, really good. A couple years of sustained mediocrity followed by the wheels falling off (the inevitable outcome of the Lakers' trade) wouldn't come with the guarantee of getting a potential franchise player in the draft later.

Unlike the apparent majority of the NBA's fanbase, Stern understands the concept of the "treadmill of mediocrity", and knows that is the worst possible cycle for a franchise to find themselves in.

But really, the nixing of the trade didn't have anything to do with making whichever team better, so that's a moot point.

No... but the nixing of the trade did have to do with making the team more attractive to buyers, so that the current conflict of interest won't have to continue for much longer.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selig DID own the team as Acting Commissioner. It wasn't until he became the full-time commish that he had to up his stake in the team.

Fair enough. I knew he gave up his stake at some point, but I wasn't 100% sure whether it was when he became active commissioner or full-time commish.

And how is juicing NOT cheating? They're illegal, performance enhancing drugs. That means cheating.

Because, while steroids can make someone physically stronger, they don't make that person a more skilled baseball player. Really, in the grand scheme of things, it only enhances part of a player's performance. You still have to actually be good at the sport in the first place.

You know what else can enhance a player's performance? LASIK surgery, for one. Should that be considered cheating too in your world?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Am I missing the connection between Braun's appeal and the aborted CP3-to-Lakers trade?

All part of the vast nationwide conspiracy to destroy Los Angeles sports.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Am I missing the connection between Braun's appeal and the aborted CP3-to-Lakers trade?

All part of the vast nationwide conspiracy to destroy Los Angeles sports.

Yup.

All of those championships we've won have been in spite of professional sports at large. Los Angeles: City of the Oppressed.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Selig DID own the team as Acting Commissioner. It wasn't until he became the full-time commish that he had to up his stake in the team.

Fair enough. I knew he gave up his stake at some point, but I wasn't 100% sure whether it was when he became active commissioner or full-time commish.

And how is juicing NOT cheating? They're illegal, performance enhancing drugs. That means cheating.

Because, while steroids can make someone physically stronger, they don't make that person a more skilled baseball player. Really, in the grand scheme of things, it only enhances part of a player's performance. You still have to actually be good at the sport in the first place.

You know what else can enhance a player's performance? LASIK surgery, for one. Should that be considered cheating too in your world?

Lasiks = legal

PEDs = illegal

Seriously, comparing PEDs to Lasiks sounds like a desperate attempt to justify breaking the rules.

PEDs also help you heal faster from an injury/make you more durable...

I'm pretty sure HGH will only help you rebuild muscle in case of atrophy, not necessarily speed the healing process of damaged tissue. I'm not sure about HGH but I know anabolic steroids will greatly reduce your durability and make your body break down quicker.

PEDs also help you heal faster from an injury/make you more durable...

I'm pretty sure HGH will only help you rebuild muscle in case of atrophy, not necessarily speed the healing process of damaged tissue. I'm not sure about HGH but I know anabolic steroids will greatly reduce your durability and make your body break down quicker.

No, the entire point is that HGH works on damaged tissue. The tissue is damaged during workouts, but HGH helps it to heal faster, allowing athletes to work out harder and with less time in between workouts. It improves eyesight, too.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I have no idea if Ryan Braun take PED's or not at this point.

Its going to go down as a false positive, but I know for a fact guys who no doubt cheated got away with it on false positives, so that doesn't prove he is necessarily innocent. I'm just writing this down as I'll never know.

I heard this on the radio this morning that apparently Braun has an STD and the medicine he has to take is what made his testosterone go crazy. I hope sooner or later that the whole story comes out or else everyone is gonna still believe that he took steroids and that MLB is protecting one of its star players by not suspending him.

Braun won his appeal. 50 game suspension has been lifted.

MLB says it "vehemently disagrees" with the ruling.

The MLB's the one that brings in the third party to make the ruling so they can disagree with it all they want. In fact, everyone can disagree with it all they want, the man won his appeal and he's innocentnot guilty.

There is a difference.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Ryan Braun is ripping everyone who's ever looked at him wrong during this press conference. It's hilarious.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Unsolicited thoughts:

Not guilty, innocent, exonerated, off on a technicality...whatever. I couldn't care less if they had video of Ryan Braun shooting himself up with cattle steroids on the on-deck circle, procedures and protocol must be followed.

I sure as hell don't believe him, and this showing at his press conference has made Braun absolutely unlikable for me.

Baseball is considering appealing the arbitration ruling? For real? C'mon, son.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If the league can't follow their own rules in regards to PED/HGH testing, why should the players be put through this insanity? And by the way, I'm glad Braun is swatting at the haters. He deserves it after the way he was treated by the media.

Ehhh...sort of. The league obviously f-ed up just because the idiot didn't test the piss the way it was supposed to be done, and for that Braun gets a LITTLE bit of room to complain. But, come on, there's really nothing that indicates that he's innocent. No suspension, thats fine. But I do believe the positive test was the correct case. He still deserves some hate. Maybe that's the Cubs fan talking, but I think he deserves a good amount of criticism.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Excerpts from interviews with Colby Rasmus (whole article here). I thought this would be interesting to post...

How's it like in Toronto?

Everybody's been great, all the players, some young guys who have a lot of life to them, it won't be like St. Louis where I'm just the young little puppy and everybody wants to teach me the tricks and beat me down and tell me that I'm doing things wrong. These guys are cool, Bautista's awesome, always upbeat, (doesn't) show anybody up or try to put his ego on top of you. This all about playing the game, having fun, just a bunch of guys trying to win a ball game.

About LaRussa/the media...

The media in St. Louis, they were always on me, I guess I'm an easy target because I'm nice and I try to talk and be nice to the guys, but that's just not how it works. They'll take you for everything you can get. So I'm just going to try keep my mouth shut, play the baseball game, relax, and just have fun.

I really never felt good in St. Louis. I always felt like I wasn't … I don't know. I was always so much younger than everybody else, and I just felt like I was never really, I guess you could say, a part of the team kind of. I never got comfortable, and Tony wanted it that way. He always said he didn't want me to get comfortable, he wanted me to always stay working hard and doing this and doing that.

The Cardinals' playoff run...

I didn't watch it. (NOTE: He did, however say that he was rooting for them)

And apparently he might get a ring...

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived