2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

Yep, September 28, 2011 taught Selig and Co. nothing at all.

This is one of the worst developments in baseball in quite some time. I can't wait for a 95 win team to miss the playoffs because, in a one-game scenario, they lost to an 88 win team. For a sport where the best team almost never wins, this hardly makes it any better.

Well, that 95 win team should have won 99-100 games (and the division) so they didn't put themselves in that scenario. With the unbalanced schedule, you control your own destiny and only have yourself to blame if you don't win the division.

Again, if you're expanding the playoffs, this is the way to go-it nerfs the Wild Card, further emphasizes regular season success and actually adds to the excitement in divisional races.

Agreed. Plus, it gives the divisional winners a nice little break while the two wild card teams have to go all-in for one night just to keep their season alive. All the pressure goes squarely upon the Wild Card teams while the Divisional winners just have to focus on taking care of their business.

I was against this when I first heard it, but if MLB's gonna do it, this is the way to do it.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find it more exciting to have 12 teams (as of 2013) in each league vying for one playoff rather than two. This does nothing to excite the wild card nor help the division winners. I believe it dilutes the playoffs. Having so many team's and fewer playoff spots make them that much more important. In the NBA and NHL there are so many spots that more than the league gets in. That's boring.

I find it more exciting to have 12 teams (as of 2013) in each league vying for one playoff rather than two. This does nothing to excite the wild card nor help the division winners. I believe it dilutes the playoffs. Having so many team's and fewer playoff spots make them that much more important. In the NBA and NHL there are so many spots that more than the league gets in. That's boring.

You're giving the Division winners an extra day to set their rotation, and even more importantly, ensure that the Wild Card team won't be able to start the Division Series with THEIR Ace. That is huge in a 5 game series.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I don't mind the extra wild card spot, I just don't like the best of one matchup.

The entire idea behind the Wild-Card from what I could tell was to provide the one team that got screwed over by being in the same division as the team with the best regular season record. I don't disagree with that notion either and there have been years where the wild card winner had the second best record in the league.

What I would do is adopt the NFL playoff format, have the first two rounds be best of three, the LCS be best of five and the World Series remain at best of seven. The most games you could get under that would be 41, the least is 26. As it was in 2011 the most amount of games you could have played is 41 and the least is 24. So your looking at basically the same amount of games being played. There would be less layover for the teams because your decreasing the amount of potential time between games, which means it would probably take about the same amount of time.

I just don't like the idea of any team's fate coming down to one game. Baseball has always been played in series, not a do or die games.

We don't need another whole round of the playoffs. They're fine just the way they are.

The additional team does absolutely nothing. If this were in place last year, all the Wild Card races would have been was to find out who between the Rays/Red Sox and Cardinals/Braves would host the game. That's not thrilling. A race to home-field for one game? As it was, there were three options in each league that could've happened; the Braves and/or Red Sox hang on and clinch, the Rays and/or Cardinals complete a great comeback and clinch or either one ends in a tie and play a one-game playoff. THAT was what was so exciting about it. Any combination of those could've happened. Now, they would have known they were in already and the end of the season would've lost that much luster. Again, with baseball, you have more teams competing for fewer spots. That's much more exciting. Besides, I actually think the Wild Card spot is, in some ways, more difficult to accomplish. Division winners only have to beat out 4 teams (in all divisions as of 2013) aswear Wild Card teams have to beat out the rest of the league. Take the AL, you could very well have a 3-4 team race for the East, but whoever doesn't win that still has to compete in a race for a single playoff spot against the other teams who aren't winning the other two divisions. Basically this year, you could've very well had, if say the Rangers and Yankees win their divisions, a race then between the Angels, Red Sox, Rays and Blue Jays, and possibly anybody else, for one spot. If you add one more spot, then the race is lessened. Who cares if it allows division winners to set their rotations. They're professional baseball players. That's part of the obstacles to winning in the playoffs. How many times did the Cardinals have to send out their ace, Carpenter, on short rest? And guess what, they still won the World Series. It made for much more drama and excitement. Winning a Championship isn't supposed to be easy.

This takes away the joy of the chase that is the last week of the season. This one game playoff will be dull in two or three years once the novelty wears off. The Fall Classic is the most exclusive championship in American sports. Only eight teams get a chance at it a year, don't take the specialty away from it. Sure adding two more teams isn't that big of deal, but we all know this is just the tip of the iceberg. I wouldn't put it past Selig to give the top two teams in each division a spot in the playoffs.

The problem isn't the playoff system, it's the economic system. A salary cap is desperately needed. Baseball is the perfect example of class warfare, and as much as I don't want to say it, the 99%. Some teams have no chance in hell of winning, none. This doesn't fix that. Wake up Bud!

Why does that arguement hold water? There will still be races and excitement over who gets those 2 wild cards spots. There will be races to make sure you win your division instead of being the wildcard. Its not like they are dispanding all the other teams and only having 10 teams play this season. There will still be teams fighting for spots, those spots will just be 1 more and you're adding the additional "Division" race that's now more important than ever.

How often in the last few years has a division had the top team and the 2nd place team so far ahead of the 3rd place team they both started coasting. I know its happened in the AL east a few times. Now you'll have each team trying to make sure they stay in that top spot so they don't have to play in a Wild card playoff.

I think this is a good thing. Being the Wild Card should be a disadvantage. Winning your division should have some advantage. Setting your rotation is that advantage. Being the best team in your league should be an advantage. Having the Wild Card blow their Ace (or at least a top pitcher) before playing you is that advantage.

Why does that arguement hold water? There will still be races and excitement over who gets those 2 wild cards spots. There will be races to make sure you win your division instead of being the wildcard. Its not like they are dispanding all the other teams and only having 10 teams play this season. There will still be teams fighting for spots, those spots will just be 1 more and you're adding the additional "Division" race that's now more important than ever.

How often in the last few years has a division had the top team and the 2nd place team so far ahead of the 3rd place team they both started coasting. I know its happened in the AL east a few times. Now you'll have each team trying to make sure they stay in that top spot so they don't have to play in a Wild card playoff.

I think this is a good thing. Being the Wild Card should be a disadvantage. Winning your division should have some advantage. Setting your rotation is that advantage. Being the best team in your league should be an advantage. Having the Wild Card blow their Ace (or at least a top pitcher) before playing you is that advantage.

I'm just saying the one game playoff won't have the luster it will have this year after a few years, kind of like the ALDS. A five game serious just doesn't carry the emotions a seven game series does. It seems trivial playing 162 games and having a better record than someone else but still having to play one game just to prove you're better. I don't like it. Say you have 99 wins and the 2nd wildcard team has 88 (entirely possible), how dumb is it to have a team seperated by 11 games play a one game playoff to make it to the dance? If you want to expand the playoffs, expand them; don't half-ass it. This is clearly a ratings grab instead of a progression of baseball.

I like the system how it is, but that's just my personal opinion.

How does it make the division race more important? If anything, it would take away. Now that there's a second wild card spot, teams have another chance if they don't get the division or the top wild card. Basically, it takes away that dire need to get either the division or that singular wild card spot. There's pretty much less stress on a team because there's another option. That's what was so good about baseball's limited playoff spots. Lots of teams vying for fewer positions makes for a much better race.

In the what else is new department, Grady Sizemore is hurt and will miss 8-12 weeks due to back surgery.

Shame to because five years he may have best the best center fielder in the game and potentially on track for a Hall of Fame career. Now he's just struggling to stay in the majors and out of the training room.

Wake up Bud!

Let's eat Grandma!

I've said all along that September is the playoffs. If you play 162 games a year, they shouldn't be so quickly invalidated. And on the other side of the coin, if you finish fifth in the league so you can lose in a playoff game to the team that finished fourth so that they can exhaust their ace before playing a best-of-five against the rested team that finished first, then what was the point of this entire exercise, anyway?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Anybody going to catch a spring training game this season?

With gas prices so high, this Sunday's Giants-Brewers game might be the only one this spring.

Yes, my wife and I will be going to AZ for 2 White Sox games, while we visit our parents. We usually do this every year, it's such a great time. The new Dodgers / Sox facility is really nice too.

Often glossed over in the continuing saga is that Camelback Ranch is also bankrupting Glenderp because that adjacent shopping mall never came to fruition, either!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Often glossed over in the continuing saga is that Camelback Ranch is also bankrupting Glenderp because that adjacent shopping mall never came to fruition, either!

Not to mention that one hockey team.....

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

How does it make the division race more important? If anything, it would take away. Now that there's a second wild card spot, teams have another chance if they don't get the division or the top wild card. Basically, it takes away that dire need to get either the division or that singular wild card spot. There's pretty much less stress on a team because there's another option. That's what was so good about baseball's limited playoff spots. Lots of teams vying for fewer positions makes for a much better race.

Well, there's the risk of one loss invalidating all of the work you did during the season.

That said, the reason we have the playoff field we do is a balancing agent. Otherwise you'd have the Yankees winning the Championship 2 out of 3 leagues and a third of baseball contracting because "What's the point".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well, there's the risk of one loss invalidating all of the work you did during the season..

yeah, but you can say that about the last loss of any season, be it Game Seven or the last day of the regular season.

Even in baseball, a game centered around the concept of a series, it can come down to one game. One game in that series, or the game in August that could have got you over the hump.

Well, there's the risk of one loss invalidating all of the work you did during the season..

yeah, but you can say that about the last loss of any season, be it Game Seven or the last day of the regular season.

Even in baseball, a game centered around the concept of a series, it can come down to one game. One game in that series, or the game in August that could have got you over the hump.

Yes, but that happens as a natural byproduct of the season where after 6 or 161 games, teams can be tied and it takes the final game (or an additional one) to make the final determination. There is a natural drama of two teams playing an entire season and ending up with identical records.

That won't be the case under this new format.

spacer.png

Well it's definitely not a Camden Yards clone like most recent parks that's for sure. It looks part 50's futuristic vision, part National's Park/Target Field style post-modern park, part vulgar outfield monstrosity. Definitely unique if nothing else.

Archived