2012 MLB Season

GriffinM6

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adam Dunn hit HR 400. At age 32.

If anyone else had accomplished this at age 32, we'd be talking Hall of Fame. Adam Dunn could very well get to 500, especially considering he's on pace for over 40 this year and doesn't seem to be losing steam from his normal 40-homer seasons.

If he does get to 500, I say he's a HoF-er on those stats alone. Especially considering there isn't any shadow of a doubt about him being clean.

And I say the guy is probably going to go down as the guy with the most home runs in MLB history with zero shot at getting to the Hall.

Almost totally inept defensively, and for all of his power has only been top 10 in OPS three times during his career. And for me unless your going to be a defensive wizard like Ozzie Smith or Brooks Robinson, or just a flat out hit machine like Jeter or Ichiro, or a catcher, you pretty much have to be top 10 in that category at least five times for me to even consider you.

If Dunn gets in, borderline guys like Dick Allen who had a similar career but was better, should be slam dunks.

If anyone else had accomplished this at age 32, we'd be talking Hall of Fame. Adam Dunn could very well get to 500, especially considering he's on pace for over 40 this year and doesn't seem to be losing steam from his normal 40-homer seasons.

If he does get to 500, I say he's a HoF-er on those stats alone. Especially considering there isn't any shadow of a doubt about him being clean.

And I say the guy is probably going to go down as the guy with the most home runs in MLB history with zero shot at getting to the Hall.

Almost totally inept defensively, and for all of his power has only been top 10 in OPS three times during his career.

If Dunn gets in, borderline guys like Dick Allen who had a similar career but was better, should be slam dunks.

And yet statistically his numbers are similar to Ryan Howard's, both with the bat and with the glove. I think it's a case of the media making his defensive shortfalls out to be bigger than they are.

I know I called the Angels a paper tiger last night.

Maybe I was jumping the gun on saying that, seeing what happened tonight. NOW I can safely call them paper tigers.

They have the ability to be good, the 8 runs in the first 3 innings of tonight's game proves it. But the Rays have had some serious rally innings recently. Rays score 10 unanswered to win 10-8. That's 29 runs in 27 innings since being perfected.

Almost totally inept defensively, and for all of his power has only been top 10 in OPS three times during his career.

And yet statistically his numbers are similar to Ryan Howard's, both with the bat and with the glove. I think it's a case of the media making his defensive shortfalls out to be bigger than they are.

Are you talking about Allen being close to Howard or Dunn. Because I don't think Ryan Howard is even close to being a HOFer either, and if your doing a straight compairision between Howard and Allen, career stat wise, yeah they are close, but you take into account the eras the guys played in, Allen blows Howard out of the water.

Allen led the league in OPS 4 times during his career. Howard has only been in the top ten three times for his career. And given the fact that were talking about two guys that played similar positions and had similar strikeout totals and Allen was the better base runner, I would say done right there.

I know I called the Angels a paper tiger last night.

Maybe I was jumping the gun on saying that, seeing what happened tonight. NOW I can safely call them paper tigers.

They have the ability to be good, the 8 runs in the first 3 innings of tonight's game proves it. But the Rays have had some serious rally innings recently. Rays score 10 unanswered to win 10-8. That's 29 runs in 27 innings since being perfected.

C.J. Wilson has been absolutely horrific since the calendar turned to August, but I didn't think for a second that he would be capable of that kind of implosion. His WHIP is over 1.3 right now, which is fairly pedestrian. And as excellent as Weaver's been, sans last night, I've never viewed him as some kind of unhittable ace on a given day. His road numbers are far less impressive than his home numbers.

I picked Anaheim to win the AL West this season. They started slow, but at the start of the month, they were 57-47, only three back of Texas, and playing Texas and surging.

Then they had that disastrous game where they blew a 7-1 lead, then a 10-7 extra innings lead, and lost. And I said

Rangers deal the Angels a sucker-punch-to-the-gut loss, with the kind of win that turns around the fortunes of both teams.

I expect Texas to win tomorrow and to go on a nice run now.

They are 5-12 since that game. They are now 3 games behind Oakland for 2nd place in their own division, and 3.5 behind Baltimore for the 2nd WC spot, and 4.5 behind Tampa Bay for that top spot. The AL West? Eight games back. That's long gone for them.

Their record since they acquired Greinke? 8-14!

How did we continue to heap so much hoopla on that team, first in the off-season and then at the deadline? They have done nothing but underachieve all season long. All the Angels, and their fans, can hope for is that tonight really was rock bottom, and they can only get better from there. Things are spiraling out of control in poor man's Los Angeles.

spacer.png

Are you talking about Allen being close to Howard or Dunn. Because I don't think Ryan Howard is even close to being a HOFer either, and if your doing a straight compairision between Howard and Allen, career stat wise, yeah they are close, but you take into account the eras the guys played in, Allen blows Howard out of the water.

Allen led the league in OPS 4 times during his career. Howard has only been in the top ten three times for his career. And given the fact that were talking about two guys that played similar positions and had similar strikeout totals and Allen was the better base runner, I would say done right there.

I'm not saying Allen shouldn't be in the hall; I'm saying Adam Dunn should be if he gets to the 500 homer mark.

If you want to talk about eras, Adam Dunn is putting up these numbers in an era where pitching has become more dominant and runs per game are sharply down. And once again, there is not a trace of a shred of evidence that he has even sniffed PEDs. In this day and age that means an awful lot.

Adam Dunn has NEVER been a top player in the game. The highest he's ever got in the MVP vote is 21. How the heck is he a Hall of Famer? You need more on your resume than just home runs, which he's never led the league in, though that could change this season.

Adam Dunn has NEVER been a top player in the game. The highest he's ever got in the MVP vote is 21. How the heck is he a Hall of Famer? You need more on your resume than just home runs, which he's never led the league in, though that could change this season.

He has consistency. Remember: he's only 32 (32?!) and he's already at 400. If he plays until he's 40 (which is well possible as a DH who often gets pinch-run for anyway) he could get to 500 easily, maybe even 600. 600 would put him in some pretty elite company.

Again, I think he's one of the most underrated players in the game. His numbers are right there with Ryan Howard's, who has always been seen as an All-Star caliber player and one of the best at his position (it was kind of difficult to out-All Star Albert Pujols back when he was with the Cards). So what's the difference between Howard and Dunn? Perception.

But again, on what planet is Ryan Howard on some HOF track?

His contract is widely regarded as one of the worst in MLB today. He was great in 2006 and 2007, and has never approached that level of dominance again. At best, he's a low-mid .800 OPS bat right now with a shoddy glove. That's literally a dime a dozen player as far as first basemen go.

And we're talking about Adam Dunn for his consistency? Did you see how abysmal he was last season? Besides, although I condone the usage of the DH as it at least spares AL teams of having an automatic black hole in the lineup, I don't think someone who is either best served as a DH, or has proven they can't play the field, can ever be considered a HOF candidate. And Adam Dunn proved that year in and year out with the Reds and Nationals. I mean, you're a Nats fan, you should remember what a butcher he was.

spacer.png

Adam Dunn will set a new precedent, a 500 home run player not in the Hall. If anyone will do it...it's him

Maybe. I don't see Gary Sheffield ever getting in and he's got 509, nor Frank Thomas with 521. Then there's the steroid poster boys, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, and Manny. That all depends on how voters eventually view the steroids era.

Adam Dunn will set a new precedent, a 500 home run player not in the Hall. If anyone will do it...it's him

Maybe. I don't see Gary Sheffield ever getting in and he's got 509, nor Frank Thomas with 521. Then there's the steroid poster boys, Bonds, Sosa, McGwire, Palmeiro, and Manny. That all depends on how voters eventually view the steroids era.

Thomas should get in. He put up some monster numbers. Four time leader in OPS, 2 time MVP and for a big hulking slugger was an incredibly smart hitter. At his peak you almost never saw him go down looking at strike three.

Sheffield has a bit of a tougher case to make. One of the game's best hitters, but never the best, not much of a glove and a headcase. The fact that he played for 8 teams I think speaks for itself. I wouldn't make a big stink about it if he got in, but he's pretty borderline in my book.

As for the steroid guys all I will say is I think the majority of guys not the minority were using and I don't think it should be held against players who got caught. There's already guys in the Hall who used roids. That's a fact. We just don't know the names or how many players already in used.

You're nuts if you think Frank Thomas isn't getting it.

Sheffield has a steroid problem. So that probably keeps him out.

Except for all the juicers that will probably not get in. I remember Sammy Sosa's 500th home run call was something like "He can punch his ticket to Cooperstown right now." Looking back on it, it's pretty apparent that most of the guys linked to steroids won't get in, at least for a while. But Frank Thomas should definitely get in. That's someone that could always hit the ball and would have an MVP if there wasn't a strike.

**For the record I'm a Cubs fan. Was always a big Sosa fan, but just don't think he'll get in anytime soon if at all. Despite being a Cubs fan Thomas was always my favorite player growing up and is one of the most underrated players IMO.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I don't think someone who is either best served as a DH, or has proven they can't play the field, can ever be considered a HOF candidate.

Jim Thome and David Ortiz would beg to differ.

There is no comparison between David Ortiz and Jim Thome.

Thome didn't become a full-time DH until 2006, when he was 36. And he already had an outstanding resume by this point. And while he was never a Gold Glover, he was much better than Adam Dunn at first base.

As far as Ortiz is concerned, he's been full-time DH since Boston signed him way back when. And almost every notable thing he's done has been as a DH. Furthermore, I do not believe David Ortiz is a Hall of Famer, either.

spacer.png

You're nuts if you think Frank Thomas isn't getting it.

Sheffield has a steroid problem. So that probably keeps him out.

That's probably true since the Hall-of-Fame has become the Hall-of-Pretty-Good and they've lowered their standards. Guess I'd better lower mine when it comes to guessing who'll get in and who won't.

Thome didn't become a full-time DH until 2006, when he was 36. And he already had an outstanding resume by this point. And while he was never a Gold Glover, he was much better than Adam Dunn at first base.

Thome played most of his career at first base. Dunn was brought up as a left fielder and only moved to first in Washington after Nick Johnson was (predictably) injured. Yet nobody gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was pretty much forced to learn a new position on the fly in the middle of the season. People just assumed his defensive shortfalls were just an inherent product of being Adam Dunn instead of there being a learning curve in the majors.

Adam Dunn's defense is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. His defense is mediocre but by no means is it horrendous. The way the media spins it, you would think Dunn would have trouble remembering which hand to put his glove on before taking the field.

The fact remains that he has 400 homers and is only 32 years old. Even with a slight decrease in his power numbers, it is very possible for him to reach 600 by age 40. And I can't see how you can keep anyone with 600 homers and not a trace of PED involvement out of Cooperstown.

Archived