Stanford Cardinal Logo Update

wyopokes2

I've been doing a lot of college re brands lately and Stanford was on the long list of teams I think could use an update. I scribbled this down in one of my classes today becuase, well..it was incredibly boring. It's a trace of what I free handed. It may not work in some applications as it may have too many colors. Anyways I'd love to know what you guys think of it. I know it's nothing drastic, nor did I intend for it to be. Just a slight modification.

1699224.jpg?786

It may be hard to tell but I slightly modified the regular block S to make it edgier. Maybe to give it a sleek modern look without changing much at all.

snew.png

Here's a possible use of the updated S tree logo (thanks go out to Davidson for the template. I appreciate it!)

helmetr.jpg

I really like it...very well done. I do think Stanford uses a specific tree, it's not just a generic pine. There is some significance behind it...maybe update the tree just a tad to better reflect it??

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I really like it...very well done. I do think Stanford uses a specific tree, it's not just a generic pine. There is some significance behind it...maybe update the tree just a tad to better reflect it??

That is a very good observation! After researching a little more I found out it's based off of El Palo Alto. I'm gonna make some changes to make it resemble it.

having grown up in palo alto, please keep our tree the way it is.

not the hugest fan of the S in your iteration. but if i were to guess, i could definitely see a rebrand, especially given the direction that the AD has taken things.

honestly, Cardinal is a crap nickname for the team. It was the Indians before. And then in the mid 60s or early 70s, the students had picked the Robber Barons to be the mascot (since Stanford himself was a robber baron). Alas, that was vetoed by the administration.

Without the tree, the slants on the S look like they're parallel. With the tree, they look off. Don't know if that's fixable or just my perception.

If they are indeed referencing a specific tree, definitely keep that in mind.

The one change I would like to see, is that the base of the trunk of the tree be more flat, like it is in the original. It just looks odd to have the tree kinda floating there.

Good update though, I never thought a tree could look tough, but you've managed to do it

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I like the update to the tree logo, but I have to tell you that they haven't used that as an official mark in years. In fact, it's not included in their style guide. Hate to be a downer there. I'd like to see you push the block S further, really make it far more unique for them. Maybe even go more towards a classic varsity block S with slab serifs?

OD_Signature.jpg

always thought studious Stanford's S should be old english...or at least something that is different from NC State's. I do like this concept however. Well done

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

The old tree is not just a random tree illustration-it is a representation of El Palo Alto and holds importance to the university. I think an update needs to respect that and keep some resemblance to the iconic tree.

Aside from that this is a great logo. I love the new S. It really helps differentiate from every other block monogram school.

Archived