Update: Lance Armstrong to admit doping on Oprah

CS85

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay can Lance now live in peace ?

Either he had the best masking agents or he was clean. Leave him alone now.

Probably the first. Pretty much every rider who finished 2-10 in all the tours he won has been involved in some kind of doping scandal. I have a hard time believing that while everyone else around him was doping he wasn't.

There's always going to be lingering questions about whether or not he was blood doping during his run.

Okay can Lance now live in peace ?

Either he had the best masking agents or he was clean. Leave him alone now.

Probably the first. Pretty much every rider who finished 2-10 in all the tours he won has been involved in some kind of doping scandal. I have a hard time believing that while everyone else around him was doping he wasn't.

There's always going to be lingering questions about whether or not he was blood doping during his run.

This. Plus he's a real prick of a human being. I was really hoping they'd nail him.

newsig.jpg

Do folks really care about bike riders are juicing themselves? It's still one helluvah feat to ride a bike for over 2,000 miles in a 3-week span. And it's not like they're racing against history....the Tour doesn't run the exact same course year after year.

• 6 months later...
Lance Armstrong abandons fight against doping charges. Will be stripped of Tour de France titles and banned for life. Story to follow.

The decision sets up a likely lifetime ban from the sport and the possibility that Armstrong will be stripped of his signature achievement - the extraordinary run of Tour titles he won from 1999-2005.

Armstrong, who retired last year, declined to enter arbitration - his last option - because he said he was weary of fighting accusations that have dogged him for years. He has consistently pointed to the hundreds of drug tests that he has passed as proof of his innocence.

"There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now," Armstrong said in a statement sent to The Associated Press. He called the USADA investigation an "unconstitutional witch hunt."

"I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999," he said. "The toll this has taken on my family and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today - finished with this nonsense."

USADA will almost certainly treat Armstrong's decision as an admission of guilt, and hang the label of drug cheat on an athlete who was a hero to thousands for overcoming life-threatening testicular cancer and for his foundation's support for cancer research.

http://deadspin.com/5937480/lance-armstrong-drops-fight-against-doping-charges-will-likely-be-stripped-of-tour-titles-and-banned-for-life?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I think the more interesting question is not whether he doped, but rather did doping contribute to his cancer to begin with? That would go to the heart of the livestrong message. It would be hard to follow the message of a guy who made a recovery from cancer and then continued to do what might have been a major factor of causing it to begin with.

This is a disgrace the Tour de France is a joke, I still belive that Lance did not do anything wrong especially in a sport where everyone was doing something. May the Tour de France wither and die.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

This is a disgrace the Tour de France is a joke, I still belive that Lance did not do anything wrong especially in a sport where everyone was doing something. May the Tour de France wither and die.

How many guys behind him though were eventually implicated on doping charges? I remember Sports Illustrated publishing a photo of Lance Armstrong's victory lap on the Champs-Élysées and literally every rider in the photo either to the right or left of him had been implicated in some type of doping or PED scandal.

If Lance wasn't doping its hands down the greatest achievement in sports history IMO because of how many other guys were cheating. Even with him doping in my mind it doesn't take away a whole lot from the accomplishments he had because everyone else was doing at the time. I'm putting alot more blame on the system at that point then I am any one individual.

Regardless of what kind of evidence there is on Lance Armstrong, I would be floored if he didn't dope during his Tour title runs, just because I don't think it was possible to compete at a high level without doping.

I'm hoping this is the last there of this story. My view of Armstrong is pretty much cemented at this point and there's really nothing about his past that could come out that would change it save for a Jerry Sandusky type scandal arising. And my view of him is that he's a great cyclist, maybe the greatest ever. He's a tremendous humanitarian who's done alot for his causes. But by the same token I think he's stepped on alot of toes to get to where he is and I don't view him as a very good person in terms of somebody I would like to get to know better. But that's pretty much par for the course for somebody in his situation. Great people and good people are rarely one in the same.

Just saying. You have Cancer bring you to the brink of death, and then go win the Tour De France 7 straight years without any help. It does leave a bitter taste in your mouth, but what's done is done.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The entire sport is doped up so if Lance used it than he was only like everyone else in the race.

I think that's a very fair view to take honestly, and I think if more people took that view maybe people looking at PED's for what they are. If that were to happen maybe then athletes would be more open about their use and the problem could be handled more efficiently.

If guys feel like they are going to be persecuted for admitting they used PED's its just going to lead to a wall of silence and your not going to get very far in cleaning up the problem.

the Shanzelize

Stared at this for a good several seconds before I realized you meant "Champs-Élysées."

I've seen it spelled both ways. Champs-Élysées is the more grammatically correct way of saying it, but I'm not writing a dissertation on the subject. I'll correct it just to drop issue. Also got a D in French in High School, so me and French grammar don't get along too well.

I've seen it spelled both ways. Champs-Élysées is the more grammatically correct way of saying it, but I'm not writing a dissertation on the subject. I'll correct it just to drop issue.

Haha, I hope not, your grade school French teacher would be mortified. But we're not here to teach French, which is just about the least phonetically friendly language there is...

People like to comment on how dirty cycling is, but I think it says something that they catch these guys, strip them of their titles and change to record books. Officially Alberto Contador didn't win the 2010 Tour, Andy Schleck did, they busted Contador and gave his victory to the second place guy, same with Landis, and now, probably Armstrong. No other sport does that (mainstream sport, we do see it in track and field and Olympic sports, but not the American big four).

If baseball had the guts that cycling has had, they'd have been testing guys for almost 20 years, they would have stripped Bonds and McGwire and Clemens of their records and we wouldn't be having these ridiculous debates about them going to the HoF because they'd be banned for life and their records would be stricken.

Say what you will about cycling, but when they find the cheaters, they punish them.

Grunge-Logos.png

I am sick of the PED issue, it seems like there are many many people who are dirty and its time to just put it aside and take any thing with a grain of salt. Before 200 all users in MLB should be forgiven because the sport itself encouraged it by not testing, because if you know half the players in the locker are using and nobody cares you would only naturally be tempted to do it yourself.

As for Lance i dont care if he ued he survived cancer and won a gruelling rance in a sport that is dirty beyond belief. This was a witch hunt plain and simple. He is still a hero to me.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Can the USADA actually strip him of his titles, or are they just being major wankers?

I was wondering the same thing. The UCI is the governing body of the sport, my guess is that they have the final say.

Also, Lance didn't admit anything, he just said he wouldn't fight the charges, I know that may seem like a technicality, but without honest-to-goodness proof how can the USADA claim a win? It's like if my wife told me I didn't get the car's oil changed, I say I did, she keeps insisting I didn't, so I just stop arguing. It doesn't affect whether I actually changed the oil or not, and it doesn't mean that she proved that I didn't. It just means the Orioles game is on and I want to stop arguing and watch TV because O's games are never on in California...

Not that that ever really happened...

Grunge-Logos.png

Can the USADA actually strip him of his titles, or are they just being major wankers?

This is what I'm curious about. What jurisdiction does the USADA have over foreign competitions? Would that mean that the French anti-doping agency can strip Tour of California titles?

VmWIn6B.png

It's not like they'll raid his house for the trophies and yellow shirts.... I doubt he doped honestly just due to how strong he came on in his comeback after a few years off from the sport. I also still believe the law states "innocent until proven guilty" and they've yet to prove him guilty so there's that... Plus how can the ASADA strip something sanctioned by a French association?

Manchester-City-icon.png

I was wondering the same thing. The UCI is the governing body of the sport, my guess is that they have the final say.

I think UCI is taking it as the equivalent of a no-contest plea or at least that's how I'm viewing it until proven otherwise.

For someone in Armstrong's position with his financial resources it would make no sense for him not to fight it if he were innocent. At least that's how I would look at it. Him saying I'm tired of fighting it I think is just the best excuse he could come up with without admitting guilt.

Archived