Update: Lance Armstrong to admit doping on Oprah

CS85

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly dont care any more this was a joke and a total miscarriage of justice.

No, it's actually that your hero turned out to be a jerk. It happens.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I honestly dont care any more this was a joke and a total miscarriage of justice.

No, it's actually that your hero turned out to be a jerk. It happens.

Always was a jerk. Now more people are aware of it. It sickens me how Austin is mostly in a full denial, "Lance is God" mode.

newsig.jpg

You know that is what is wrong with things in the media today, people the press dont like they spend 24/7 trying to tear down. Lance Armstrong is an inspiration to millions never tested positive in a sport where everyone is dirty and convicted without a fair trial. No this was the biggest joke ever and I Hope like Jim Thorpe one day they reinstate all titles and realize what a god damn joke this entire get Lance withhunt has been.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You know, that is what is wrong with things in the media today. The press will spend 24/7 trying to tear down people they don't like. Lance Armstrong is an inspiration to millions, never tested positive in a sport where everyone is dirty, and has now been convicted without a fair trial. This was the biggest joke ever and I hope, like Jim Thorpe, they one day reinstate all of his titles and realize what a god damn joke this entire "Get Lance" witch-hunt has been.

FYP

PvO6ZWJ.png

You know that is what is wrong with things in the media today, people the press dont like they spend 24/7 trying to tear down. Lance Armstrong is an inspiration to millions never tested positive in a sport where everyone is dirty and convicted without a fair trial. No this was the biggest joke ever and I Hope like Jim Thorpe one day they reinstate all titles and realize what a god damn joke this entire get Lance withhunt has been.

First off, it's not been a media witch hunt, it's been led by the USADA. Secondly, the evidence against Armstrong is pretty damn convincing. If it were not, he'd fight the allegations himself. Thirdly, the reason there has not been a 'trial' is because Armstrong himself stopped it. He had the choice to defend himself, and decided not to. Fourthly, one of the reasons he didn't test positive was that there wasn't a test for EPO before 2003, or a test for blood doping before 2005. I think I have those dates correct. When people say the cheats are ahead of the testers, Armstrong is a perfect example of that. Seriously Tank, you need to face facts, Armstrong was a drug cheat. There is no other explanation that fits the facts that are out in the open. All the persecution complex ideas washing through your system really are irrational.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

First off, it's not been a media witch hunt, it's been led by the USADA. Secondly, the evidence against Armstrong is pretty damn convincing. If it were not, he'd fight the allegations himself. Thirdly, the reason there has not been a 'trial' is because Armstrong himself stopped it. He had the choice to defend himself, and decided not to. Fourthly, one of the reasons he didn't test positive was that there wasn't a test for EPO before 2003, or a test for blood doping before 2005. I think I have those dates correct. When people say the cheats are ahead of the testers, Armstrong is a perfect example of that. Seriously Tank, you need to face facts, Armstrong was a drug cheat. There is no other explanation that fits the facts that are out in the open. All the persecution complex ideas washing through your system really are irrational.

What is wrong with blood doping, why is it illegal in the first place from what I hear its quite good for you. In addition the whole sport is dirty so why is Armstrong a target. He passed every test if they did not have a test at the time too bad.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

What is wrong with blood doping, why is it illegal in the first place from what I hear its quite good for you.

Not sure I agree with you 100% on your police work there, Lou.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

What is wrong with blood doping, why is it illegal in the first place from what I hear its quite good for you. In addition the whole sport is dirty so why is Armstrong a target. He passed every test if they did not have a test at the time too bad.

The simple act of increasing the number of red blood cells in blood raises its viscosity, which can cause it to clot or coagulate more readily.[20] This increases the chances of heart attack, stroke, and pulmonary embolism, which has been seen in cases where there is too much blood reintroduced into the blood stream.

Blood contamination during preparation or storage is another issue. Contamination was seen in 1 in every 500,000 transfusions of red blood cells in 2002.[21] Blood contamination can lead to sepsis or an infection that affects the whole body.

Certain medications used to increase red blood cells can reduce liver function and lead to liver failure, pituitary problems, and increases in cholesterol levels.[22]

[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_doping

(Sorry to quote from wiki, but seemed the most easily understood source).

But the point isn't only the danger, steroids aren't necessarily dangerous per se, if taken under medical advice. It's an artificial way of improving performance, especially in endurance events.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The simple act of increasing the number of red blood cells in blood raises its viscosity, which can cause it to clot or coagulate more readily.[20] This increases the chances of heart attack, stroke, and pulmonary embolism, which has been seen in cases where there is too much blood reintroduced into the blood stream.

Blood contamination during preparation or storage is another issue. Contamination was seen in 1 in every 500,000 transfusions of red blood cells in 2002.[21] Blood contamination can lead to sepsis or an infection that affects the whole body.

Certain medications used to increase red blood cells can reduce liver function and lead to liver failure, pituitary problems, and increases in cholesterol levels.[22]

[edit]

But the point isn't only the danger, steroids aren't necessarily dangerous per se, if taken under medical advice. It's an artificial way of improving performance, especially in endurance events.

And if everyone is doing this than its not wrong. I am sick of this stroids paranoia it is time to just face facts PED's are part of the game and if it is legal for everyone than nobody is cheating. Make it open make it honet make it legal.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

[edit]

And if everyone is doing this than its not wrong. I am sick of this stroids paranoia it is time to just face facts PED's are part of the game and if it is legal for everyone than nobody is cheating. Make it open make it honet make it legal.

I don't know that I agree with that. There are some doctors who think that steroids are not unhealthy for adult males, so your stance may have some merit, but I think the jury is still out. So long as we think otherwise honest hardworking athletes would have to endanger themselves just to "keep up", I cannot get on board with this.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

[edit]

And then you come back to the danger point. Even if they were prescribed to athletes, you'd still get some wishing to push the limits, and/or others willing to over prescribe for the right money. And most people would agree that actually sport is about testing the limits of human performance. If you allow PEDs then automatically you are testing the levels of chemical performance instead.

Put another way, everyone speeds whilst driving, that doesn't make it right or sensible. It's still wrong. You might as well do away with all rules, if we accept your logic.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

• 1 month later...

The USADA'sreport to the UCI has been published, and to put it mildly it casts Armstrong in a bad light.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/11/armstrong-usada-sophisticated-doping-scheme?intcmp=122

"His goal [of winning the Tour de France] led him to depend on EPO, testosterone and blood transfusions but also, more ruthlessly, to expect and to require that his team-mates would likewise use drugs to support his goals if not their own," concluded the report. "It was not enough that his team-mates give maximum effort on the bike, he also required that they adhere to the doping programme outlined for them or be replaced."

The most damaging testimony came from Armstrong's close friend and long-time team-mate George Hincapie, who is widely viewed as having no axe to grind. Hincapie states: "At a race in Spain in 2000 Lance indicated to me he had taken testosterone. Lance told me that he was feeling good and recovered, that he had just taken some 'oil'. When I heard that drug testing officials were at the hotel, I texted Lance to warn him to avoid the place ..."

He adds that in 2003 Armstrong used his apartment to have a blood transfusion. "In 2003 Lance Armstrong contacted me about needing to do something private at my apartment in Girona because he had guests at his apartment. I agreed and Lance came to my apartment with Dr Del Moral. Lance and Dr Del Moral went into my bedroom and Dr Del Moral was carrying what I thought was a blood bag. He asked to borrow a coat hanger and Lance and Dr Del Moral closed the door behind them. They were in the room about 45 minutes to an hour which is about the time it generally takes to re-infuse a bag of blood."

The report also claims to have evidence that Armstrong paid over a million dollars to Ferrari – whom he apparently nicknamed "Schumi" after the German Formula One driver: "The evidence in this case also includes banking and accounting records from a Swiss company controlled by Dr Ferrari reflecting more than one million dollars in payments by Mr Armstrong, extensive email communications between Dr Ferrari and his son and Mr Armstrong during a time period in which Mr Armstrong claimed to not have a professional relationship with Dr Ferrari and a vast amount of additional data, including laboratory test results and expert analysis of Mr Armstrong's blood test results."

Pretty damning stuff all in all.

Incredible that in the Armstrong run of success 20 of 21 podium finishes in the Tour de France have now been linked to drugs. And good that now there are teams and riders prepared to speak out against drug taking.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Cycling is a joke I hope the sport enjoys that it is no irrelevant

Not what you were saying when Armstrong was reeling off 7 Tour De France wins, I dare say.

Cycling has taken big steps in the last few years to end the grip of doping on the sport. All riders have to carry a 'blood passport' and the testing is far more rigorous than it was in Armstrong's heyday.

In the past most of cycling's problems with drugs were with painkillers, taken to dull the pain of racing over 100 mile + stages, with no measurable performance benefit. Though some cyclists have been banned for steroids, they are of little use to a road cyclist because cyclists want to keep weight, and therefore unnecessary muscle to a minimum. Blood doping, and EPO, is different because it gives a measurable improvement in performance (upto 10%). You can actually chart the improvement and subsequent fall in performance between about 1992 and now.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived