2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

Can you please stop with the Coyotes conspiracy theories?

Well if you lump that in with all the Coyote jokes that would eliminate about 25% of this thread.

Another great win for the Yotes and for the moment they have leapfrogged San Jose for the #3 spot in the West. What a month February has been for the boys from PHX.

Yeah, but 50% of this thread is Canucks/Blackhawks bickering, and the kibosh has been put on that as well.

Putting the clamps on Phoenix discussion would leave us with nothing else to talk about.

spacer.png

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, did that Mike Smith play for a team whose obstruction fouls aren't penalized? We see now that it was never a matter of Bryzgalov being a world-class goalie so much as his team was engineered from above to contend.

Really?

While the second half is probably just frustration on my part with their ever-so-serendipitous winning streak, there's no question that the pendulum is swinging back toward acceptance of the trap, from which the Coyotes, among others, profit greatly. Well, they don't really profit, but you know.

I called Bryzgalov sucking early.

EDIT:

Bryzgalov did well with the Coyotes because he played behind Tippett's drag-them-down-to-our-level scheme. Unfortunately (well, for them), the Red Wings chose not to be dragged down to the Coyotes' level, and instead sliced through the muck and teed off on Bryzgalov. He's a pretty good goalie, but we're at a point where just about every goalie is at least a pretty good one, except for the ones on the Flyers. It's a buyer's market for goalies until further notice; no one should get $7MM a year to goaltend anymore, but the Flyers still ought to lock him up to a semi-handsome deal.

Add to that "except for the ones on the Blackhawks," who are having a pretty similar season to Philly, overall

Bryzgalov will be a major improvement, don't get me wrong, but he won't be as good as he looked in Phoenix and Anaheim. He's played in country club markets with tight defensive systems, and now moves to a more aggressive offense than anything Dave Tippett could dream of, plus the pressure cooker that is Philadelphia. "Flyers goalie" is second only to "Bears quarterback" as far as the media just salivating for you to ultimately fail. Ultimately, probably a 6th/7th place team, 9th if they crap the bed or Pronger/Timonen break down.

heeeey.

I think I was right about Bryzgalov faltering outside a neutral zone trap and a country club atmosphere.

You sure were, me!

As for not asking questions about the Coyotes, piss off. Nobody goes five minutes without retardedly accusing "Kaiser Stern" or "Fuhrer Stern" of rigging the league for some greater good. I think I should be afforded the same suspicions about a league-owned team that keeps generating home games for itself despite a marked paucity of talent, especially because I can do it without calling a Jew a Nazi.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Leafs aren't starting out to well as Semin has scored to make it 2-0 Caps four minutes in.

bjays.jpg

859b2e1d-225e-4e60-9651-2aebe5e67109_zps4fd9e69d.jpg

Active Teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers (1-2, T-1st, East Div.)

Toronto Blue Jays (45-49, 5th in AL East Div. 8.5 GB of wildcard spot)

I think that each team will try to finish as high as possible.

That 4th home game isn't as much advantage as playing the Southeast Chumpion (spelling intentional) in a 7 game series. Especially if you're New Jersey.

I'm not denying there is a clear advantage in playing the 3rd seed, but I am denying a professional hockey team would tank in order to play a weaker opponent in the playoffs, which as we all know does not guarantee anything, especially in the NHL.

And yet teams tank to get a better shot in the lottery despite the fact that they likely won't win it. Why should the playoffs be any different?

If you're in a spot where tanking improves your chances at the lottery, you already have nothing to play for. That's building for the future. While I wouldn't condone it, I can see the reasoning behind it. But tanking to get a better shot at the playoffs is pointless. There's no guarantee you will defeat a weaker opponent, and if you do, because you're at a lower rank, you have a better chance of playing an even stronger opponent in the next round.

oBIgzrL.png

The Bruins would allow Ottawa to score a minute ten into the game.

EDIT: And Bergeron just tied it up.

Spezza just locked up the Best Actor Oscar tomorrow night.

If he doesn't win, it'll be the biggest Oscar robbery in years.

FALSE EDIT: 2-1 Bs.

spacer.png

If you're in a spot where tanking improves your chances at the lottery, you already have nothing to play for. That's building for the future. While I wouldn't condone it, I can see the reasoning behind it. But tanking to get a better shot at the playoffs is pointless. There's no guarantee you will defeat a weaker opponent, and if you do, because you're at a lower rank, you have a better chance of playing an even stronger opponent in the next round.

There's no guarantee, but if I can choose my destiny, I will take my higher chances against the Jets or Panthers rather than the Devils, Penguins, or Flyers. And due to re-seeding, if I as 6 beat 3 while 1, 2, and 4 win, I will face 1 in the second round just as if I had beaten 4 as 5, all things being equal, of course.

EDIT: Unless, of course, 6 also beats 3 in the second scenario, which just proves why it's advantageous to tank for NASCAR

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If by goaltender interference they meant interference with the Coke Zero ad on the boards, the refs got the call on Kopitar correct.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Welp, at least the Wolves game is on.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

And the Sens are on the comeback march. :censored:.

And here I was thinking it wasn't possible to get worse in the defensive zone without Johnny Boychuk!

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Bergeron empty netter. I can breathe again.

(ignore the apostrophe catastrophe, please)

tumblr_lufhrz7lMo1qbb52do1_500.jpg

Awesome photo, he was talking back to the fans all afternoon. I got a point and a "thank you" out of him after he spotted me in an early 90's jersey.

Archived