2011-12 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

3. Coyotes - 35 ROW - 95 PTS

---

7. Kings - 34 ROW - 94 PTS

8. Sharks - 33 ROW - 94 PTS

Phoenix plays in Minnesota two and a half hours before LA plays in San Jose, so LA/SJ will know the result and what they need sometime during the first period.

If Phoenis wins, San Jose and LA are eliminated.

If Phoenix loses in OT/SO, San Jose is eliminated and LA wins the division with a REG/OT win (Kings earned 8 PTS (3-1-2) vs Phoenix, Coyotes earned 7 PTS (3-2-1) vs LA.)

If Phoenix loses in regulation, winner of SJ/LA wins the division.

Phoenix also can't finish any lower than 7th.

It would be hilarious if Phoenix gets 3rd, and the Wings got the 6th seed.... but I think the Wings already locked up at least the 5th seed, IIRC.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, if the Hawks win in regulation tomorrow, the Wings finish sixth. Tied in points, tied in ROWs, Hawks will have won the season series 4-0-2. If that happens, of course, which I would like, of course. Predators ain't invincible. I don't want none of the house team pixie dust that's sprinkling in just in time for another bailout.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Because of the sweater color discussion, I used an online graph-builder (on some science website's "KidZone") and created this graph of NHL home sweater colors.

graph.jpg

Red constitutes nearly half of the teams in the league, with blue only two behind. 22 teams have either red or blue as their home sweater color. Only the Flyers and Predators don't have red, blue or black in the color scheme.

I guess it is safe to say that red, blue and black are far too prevalent in this league.

But you guys already knew that.

But how can we fix that?

Moving the Wild and Stars back to green homes would be a nice start, upping the number of "Other" teams to four. I guess the Hurricanes could survive getting another sweater color, but what would it be? Grey? Black? The Kings could return to purple and yellow, but some might decry that as too Lakersesque. The Senators are in a bit of a bind; what colors are "senators"?

Any other ideas?

Hurricanes are okay with a red home jersey in my books

I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings in purple and gold

When I think "senators" I think red since the Canadian Senate (in Ottawa) is primarily red

senate.jpg

Final Saturday of the season, and surprisingly no in-or-out spots on the line, but seeding only. To briefly overview:

OTT @ NJ (3:00, CBC), WSH @ NYR (6:30, NBCSN), CAR @ FLA (7:30)

Florida clinches #3 with win or loss beyond regulation. A loss and WSH win pushes them to #8.

Washington clinches #3 with win and FLA loss. They could also move up to #7 with win and OTT regulation loss. If both teams pick up one poi,t they finish #8.

Ottawa clinches #7 with win or loss beyond regulation. A loss and Washington pushes them to #8.

The only locked in playoff matchup is the 4/5 series between Philly and Pittsburgh, who ironically meet on this final day at the Consol Energy Center, which is also where their playoff series is set to begin it. It truly doesn't get more meaningless than that game.

The West Side Story:

CHI @ DET (1:00, NBC), PHX @ MIN (8:00), NSH @ COL (9:00), and LA @ SJ (10:30, NBCSN)

Technically, St. Louis can still get the #1 over Vancouver with a win at Dallas and a Vancouver loss (at home) to 32-49 Edmonton, but I'm not liking those odds too much.

Nashville clinches #4 with a win or loss beyond regulation. A loss and Detroit win pushes them down to #5, and creates those two playing in the first round beginning at the Joe Louis Arena.

Detroit clinches #4 with win and Nashville loss. They clinch the #5 with a win straight-up. A Chicago regulation win, by virtue of head-to-head (they'd both have 39 ROW) would push them into the #5, and Detroit to #6 (which may be more desirable, in terms of the 1st round)

Chicago clinches #5 with regulation win. Any other result and they clinch the #6.

Phoenix clinches the Pacific Division with a win. An OT/SO loss would mean that an LA win pushes them to #7, but a SJ win keeps them at #3 (same points, PHX 35-34 ROW, and for craps and giggles, PHX also won the season series).

LA clinches the Pacific Division with a win and a PHX loss, of any variety. A loss, of any variety, knocks them to the #8.

SJ clinches the Pacific Division with a win and a PHX regulation loss. A loss, of any variety, lcoks them in at #8.

No playoff matchups are set in stone yet in the West. Theoretically, it is just as possible for the West to end as VAN/STL/PHX/NSH/DET/CHI/LA/SJ, as it is for it to end STL/VAN/LA/DET/NSH/CHI/PHX/SJ, or VAN/STL/SJ/NSH/CHI/DET/PHX/LA, and so on. A math wizard could probably compute the actual number of differing possibilities out there, since no particular seed is owned by any team, whereas in the East, only Florida, Ottawa, and Washington aren't locked into their current seedings.

spacer.png

Because of the sweater color discussion, I used an online graph-builder (on some science website's "KidZone") and created this graph of NHL home sweater colors.

graph.jpg

Red constitutes nearly half of the teams in the league, with blue only two behind. 22 teams have either red or blue as their home sweater color. Only the Flyers and Predators don't have red, blue or black in the color scheme.

I guess it is safe to say that red, blue and black are far too prevalent in this league.

But how can we fix that?

Moving the Wild and Stars back to green homes would be a nice start, upping the number of "Other" teams to four. I guess the Hurricanes could survive getting another sweater color, but what would it be? Grey? Black? The Kings could return to purple and yellow, but some might decry that as too Lakersesque. The Senators are in a bit of a bind; what colors are "senators"?

Any other ideas?

When I think "senators" I think red since the Canadian Senate (in Ottawa) is primarily red

senate.jpg

As an American, I know next-to-nothing about Canadian politics (I know who Jack Layton (RIP), Micheal Ignatieff, and Stephen Harper are, but that's about it), so I didn't know that the Canadian parliament was primarily red.

spacer.png

graph.jpg

But how can we fix that?

Any other ideas?

senate.jpg

As an American, I know next-to-nothing about Canadian politics (I know who Jack Layton (RIP), Micheal Ignatieff, and Stephen Harper are, but that's about it), so I didn't know that the Canadian parliament was primarily red.

The Sens though unlikely could always add green to their scheme but it'd likely be too Wild like.

untitled-6.jpg

The only locked in playoff matchup is the 4/5 series between Philly and Pittsburgh, who ironically meet on this final day at the Consol Energy Center, which is also where their playoff series is set to begin it. It truly doesn't get more meaningless than that game.

The chance to size up your opponent, push their buttons, test out your line matchups, get them sore before the playoffs start, etc.? I actually think it's one of the most interesting games today. That playoff series is gonna be great.

I'd say any game between two teams definitely out of the playoffs on the last day of the season is less meaningful than a preview game of a playoff series.

So much hockey on TV today! NBC's basically going wall-to-wall hockey today between the Flyers-Penguins game on NBC then everything on NBCSN afterwards. Add that to what's on NHL Network, and you can just sit around watching hockey all day if you didn't want to watch The Masters

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

The chance to size up your opponent, push their buttons, test out your line matchups, get them sore before the playoffs start, etc.? I actually think it's one of the most interesting games today. That playoff series is gonna be great.

I'd say any game between two teams definitely out of the playoffs on the last day of the season is less meaningful than a preview game of a playoff series.

They've already played five times this season, being division rivals and everything. They know each other inside and out, and, for good measure, they just brawled a week ago in the same venue as today and next week's opener.

Hell, non-playoff teams could still determine draft pick status and what-not. The Flyers nor the Penguins have anything to gain from today. It reminds of Week 17 from a few years ago where there ended up being a couple re-matches the following weekend - in one case, the Packers destroyed the Cardinals, who probably were keeping their playbook limited, and then the next week the Cardinals won 51-45. There is certainly the pride factor on the line - Pittsburgh doesn't want to get swept at home by the Flyers for the second straight season, but what happens today has very little bearing on what will happen next week. At least, that's how I perceive it. Whatever happens today, Philly still got the better of Pittsburgh in the regular season, and Pittsburgh still got the better seed.

spacer.png

graph.jpg

Make it 3.

Flyers: Orange

Predators: Yellow

Sharks: Teal

Yeah, I know, Bucfan pointed out that I added the Sharks to the black column. I was thinking that their alternate was their primary home. A major derp moment. Unfortunately, I can't make an edit without rebuilding the entire graph, something I'm in no mood to do.

spacer.png

I do think it's possible to have more variety in the primary colours of home teams throughout a league. Here's my example.

16JERSEYS.png

While there are still two different shades of red, three shades of blue, three shades of green, and two shades of purple, in essence, each one of these sixteen teams would have a unique primary colour. I think the NHL and other leagues could do the same - and we could actually have teams face off while both wearing coloured uniforms.

Florida vs. Phoenix Stanley Cup.

Book it.

The Stanley Cup victor then moves to Quebec in order for Canada to "celebrate" a Champion. :hockeysmiley:

Might be the only way Canada gets a Stanley Cup champ. Yeah I get Ottawa and Vancouver are around, still though I'm not buying either of them yet.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

So much hockey on TV today! NBC's basically going wall-to-wall hockey today between the Flyers-Penguins game on NBC then everything on NBCSN afterwards. Add that to what's on NHL Network, and you can just sit around watching hockey all day if you didn't want to watch The Masters

Also, if you have a cable system that uses the same block of channels for NHL Center Ice and MLB Extra Innings, all the hockey is unlocked because of baseball's free preview week. That's the case for both RCN and Comcast here in Chicago, at least.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=626309&navid=DL|NHL|homel

Good to see Crosby responding to all his detractors, and I he gained even more of my respect by admitting that he was a whiny little :censored: during his first couple seasons. Guys like Torts just need to shut up when it comes to Crosby and Malkin. They are arguably the two most skilled hockey players on the planet and they have the hardware to prove it. If anything, all of this Penguins-hate tells me that the Flyers and Rangers are scared of Pittsburgh.

Archived