Yakball Concepts

raysox

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I've been lurking here for a looooong time and decided that the completion of the Isles League was the right time to come out of the woodwork.

I love almost everything about this entire thread...the team names, the logos, the uniforms...this is all excellent work, raysox. I especially liked the YC Dublin stuff to top it all off.

Are you already soliciting name suggestions for any of the teams of this as-yet-unnamed Mediterranean League? I'd love to have some small part in the creation of this fabulous concept.

sport-scarf_devils_zps117fda40.png

Of course! Any help is awesome, and I really have no idea where to start with these teams.

I do know that I might reference the major soccer team in the area for a couple.

That is what I have done with my Iberia Rugby League Association. Rugby league isn't a big sport in Spain and Portugal so I decided to have my teams be part of some of the big soccer clubs in those two countries. This is not uncommon. Many of the clubs, be they Athletic Clubs (AC), or Sports Clubs (SC) or Football Clubs (FC) quite often support a wide range of teams, including handball, volleyball, basketball, etc. So why not rugby league. And in this case, why not yakball. My teams are: from Spain - FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletic Bilbao and Atletico Madrid, from Portugal - SL Benfica, FC Porto, Sporting CP and SC Braga. Good Luck with your next set - I'm looking forward to it.

I think drawing on local soccer names isn't a bad idea.

I have three ideas for league names.

Ligue Méditerranée de Yakball (LMY) - draws on French naming conventions for multinational competitions, a la FIFA or FIBA.

Superleague Yakball - the top Greek league is known as the Superleague.

The Mediterranean League - simple, but effective.

As for team names, I have some ideas...not really names in most cases, but just starting points for inspiration. Obviously, referencing local football clubs is worthwhile, but what I loved about the British league is that your names weren't just references to Premier League teams.

I'll have some others soon. What's cool about this particular league is that a lot of the big sports cities (like Milan and Turin, for instance) have multiple major soccer teams, so I'm curious to see how you're going to either pay homage to...or completely reinvent or ignore...those histories.

Ideas for a few cities, (EDIT: Updated to reflect some of MBurmy's ideas, as well as a few more concrete ideas from me):

Greece

Athens: Olympic Athens - as the birthplace of the Olympics, Athens gets to mention the reference whenever it chooses.

Thessaloniki: Ares Thessaloniki - reference to the Greek Superleague team Aris, emphasizes a fierce demeanor for the team.

Italy

Rome: Lupi di Roma YC (Rome Wolves YC) - the founding of Rome in mythology has Romulus and Remus being raised by a she-wolf. This is also a reference to AS Roma, which features the she-wolf and the boys. Further, the wolf is the national animal of Italy.

Bologna: Nettuno Bologna - one of the sights of Bologna is the statue of Neptune.

Turin: Liberta - Turin was the center of Italian liberty. There's an accent mark I'm forgetting somewhere, by the way.

Milan: YC Milano - MBurmy coined this one, it's a good way to balance both AC Milan and Inter.

Portugal

Lisbon: Odisseia Lisboa - funnily enough, my original idea of tribute to Henry the Navigator doesn't work, since he's from Porto. I'm signing off on MBurmy's idea, because I love it.

Porto: Dragoes de Porto - As I said initially, the dragon is the national animal of Portugal and FC Porto is nicknamed the Dragons. I can't render accents -- there's supposed to be a tilde above the o.

Spain

Madrid (1): Ultra Madrid - again, an MBurmy idea. Simply awesome. If you want to set up a rivalry a la Exhibition/Centre, this would be the "big" team.

Madrid (2): Centro Madrid - the other Madrid team emphasizes the city's role as the (near) geographic, economic, and cultural center of Spain.

Barcelona: Condado Barcelona - MBurmy again. Love it.

Valencia: Azahar YC - Valencia sits on the Costa del Azahar (the Orange Blossom coast).

France

Paris (1): Chanticleer YC - the rooster is the national sporting symbol of France.

Paris (2): Coeur de France - "Heart of France," literally. The fact that it rhymes with (arguably) the biggest sporting event in France gives it some weight...I also wanted to throw in some sort of homage to one of my favorite team names, albeit it from a different nation (Hearts of Midlothian).

Bordeaux: La Perles d'Aquitaine- quite literally a nickname for the city.

Lyon: Avant Lyonnais - MBurmy.

Co-sign the Ligue Méditerranée de Yakball (LMY) nomination.

Ολυμπιακή Αθήνα (Olympic Athens) (Self-explanatory)

Condado Barcelona (Barcelona County) (The Count of Barcelona was Catalonia's ruler for almost a thousand years; Barcelona's nickname is the City of Counts)

Bologna Accademico (Bologna Academic) (The University of Bologna is the world's oldest)

Château Bordeaux (Named to honor the various wine chateaus in the city-similar to Porto)

Odisseia Lisboa (Lisbon Odyssey) (Legend has it that Odysseus was the city's founder)

Avant Lyonnais ("Avant" is repeated twice in the city's motto, meaning "forward". The "Lyonnais" is a shoutout to Olympique)

Oso y Fresa CY (Bear & Strawberry YC) (From the city emblem, which has consisted of these since the Middle Ages)

Ultra Madrid (From Spain's motto "Plus ultra," meaning "further beyond". "Ultras" also hapen to be the nickname of Real Madrid's fanbase)

YC Milano (Homage to both AC and FC Inter Milan...the initials precede the name)

Les Coqs Gaulois (The Gallic Roosters) (The national animal of France, found on the French Football Federation's logo)

Ville-Lumière CY (Light City YC) (A VERY old nickname for Paris)

Pisoteadores de Porto (Porto Stompers) (An homage to Porto's wine heritage-it's the home and namesake of port wine)

Roma Eterna (Rome is known as the "Eternal City")

Θεσσαλονίκη Αργοναύτες (Thessaloniki Argonauts) (The city's best known for its port, so what better namesake than Greece's best-known sailors?)

Club Alpino Torino (Known as the "Capital of the Alps")

València Dracs (Valencia Dragons) (the only Yakball team name in the Catalan language, the Valencian Community's coat of arms features a dragon.)

bYhYmxh.png

A lot of those names are PHENOMENAL, MBurmy. I especially like Condado Barcelona and Odisseia Lisboa. Ultra Madrid and Avant Lyonnais need to happen, too. I used your ideas as a jumping off point for the rest of my proposed names. Hopefully some of your names get used.

Yeah, Burmy. That's probably the best group suggestions I've gotten from you. Don't be surprised if I use a lot of those.

For the league name, I don't think Mediterranean rolls off the tongue enough. I looked at sponsors that would partain to the 5 counties. I've tossed around logos using Orange and Santander. But nothing is final.

Lisbon: Odisseia Lisboa - funnily enough, my original idea of tribute to Henry the Navigator doesn't work, since he's from Porto. I'm signing off on MBurmy's idea, because I love it.

Porto: Dragoes de Porto - As I said initially, the dragon is the national animal of Portugal and FC Porto is nicknamed the Dragons. I can't render accents -- there's supposed to be a tilde above the o.

I like both, the correct would be: Odisséia Lisboa or Odisséia de Lisboa and Dragões do Porto (not de, in this case use do)

I like both, the correct would be: Odisséia Lisboa or Odisséia de Lisboa and Dragões do Porto (not de, in this case use do)

Sorry about that...I don't speak Portuguese and was only guessing at the proper accents and form of de/do. Can I ask why one is "de" and the other "do?" I'm assuming one is masculine and the other feminine, but the linguist in me needs to be certain.

I am in the process of thinking for this but here are my first two ideas. Very exciting for the Mediterranean league.

City of Lights YC. Simple Paris is the City of Lights

Paris Miserables. Named after the famous musical, Les Miz could be the less sucessful, (as in last place every year) Parisian team.

Glad to see you love my suggestions! Looking forward to seeing the best ones be brought to life.

As far as sponsorship names go, LVMH Ligue de Yakball sounds about right (the Paris-based conglomerate which owns Louis Vuitton branded clothes as well as Moet and Hennessy liquors). Their brands are known worldwide to signify luxury and high living, so it would certainly identify this as the Mediterranean's top league. You could substitute either of these three brands for the "LVMH" before the league's name too.

bYhYmxh.png

Raysox, if "Mediterranean" doesn't roll off the tongue, how does Medileague sound? Sort of like the Euroleague for basketball...and it's a lot less clunkier than the use of just "Mediterranean."

As for a league sponsorship, while I like the Louis Vuitton-Moet-Hennessy idea...what about going with Ferrari or Fiat or Alfa Romeo? A car company suggests speed and power, which always is good with a sport.

Fiat Medileague Yakball....or Ferrari Ligue de Yakball if you prefer...these combos mesh well IMO.

Nice...and like that, I feel like I've contributed in some small way (assuming MediLeague winds up somehow being a part of the final name).

I can't wait to see Alpino Torino's kits. I see a lot of potential with the Alpine theme.

Archived