NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

I hear that the Flyers are supposed to make the Winter Classic jersey the third next year. It's a nice jersey (this is from a Penguins and Bruins fan) and it deserves to stay. One thing I don't understand is why the hem stripes don't match the arm stripes.

Apparently the hem stripes are a callback to the 80s sock striping when they switched to the new 80s-90s jersey design. This one, I think: http://nhluniforms.com/Flyers/Flyers08.html

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of their Winter Classic "faux-back." For what it's worth, it's better than that weird orange alternate they had back in the 2000s with the 3D logo.

Considering that metallic jersey of the mid-oughts sucked, that's not really surprising to hear.

Much like the 'Hawks, the Flyers were fine to introduce a black jersey back in the 90's. I think they should still have a black jersey.

But using it as anything more than an alt was a mistake, and it's pretty bad that it took a decade for Philly to correct that error.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The black wasn't bad, but the implicit premise that the Philadelphia Flyers, of all teams, had to be made to look even more menacing was a bit gratuitous.

A black palette swap of the Hawks' whites would be a perfect full-time jersey for the Rockford team--rather than using the exact same stock, make it special to be called up and wear the sweater--but I'd rather not see it on the actual club.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think I'm the only person who is going to miss the navy/copper look for the Oilers... hell, I still miss the Todd McFarlane third jersey they had. Sigh.

Wonder what the Jets will do with their third... hope they go vintage without going overboard... whatever they do should still be updated/modernised a bit, since these are the "new" Jets, not the Coyotes...

Even if, it would be dumb for the Jets to have a red-blue jersey when they're a 2-tone blue team and the old shade of blue isn't even close to what they wear now.

[/Jets]

Pittsburgh's WC jersey looked good for the game, but does anyone else think it sucks as full-time alt? Maybe it's the vintage white or the big, fat stripes (as a whole), but it's just not working for me. I'm almost certain the Flyers will be the same.

I think it was mentioned that the Flames' jerseys were in the clearance section. I hope dearly that they ditch those moronic flag patches and go pre-Edge.

Ottawa had better go with Pittsburgh. Their fill-tool jerseys are horrendous. Whose idea was it to have coloured patched of fabric instead of stripes?

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Even if, it would be dumb for the Jets to have a red-blue jersey when they're a 2-tone blue team and the old shade of blue isn't even close to what they wear now.

[/Jets]

Pittsburgh's WC jersey looked good for the game, but does anyone else think it sucks as full-time alt? Maybe it's the vintage white or the big, fat stripes (as a whole), but it's just not working for me. I'm almost certain the Flyers will be the same.

I think it was mentioned that the Flames' jerseys were in the clearance section. I hope dearly that they ditch those moronic flag patches and go pre-Edge.

Ottawa had better go with Pittsburgh. Their fill-tool jerseys are horrendous. Whose idea was it to have coloured patched of fabric instead of stripes?

The Pittsburgh navy blue jersey is cool, but it will never be as great as the 08-11 powder blue jersey. I own both but I much prefer the powder blue. Besides, aren't there already enough navy blue jerseys in the league? The powder blue was unique.

Buffalo - Doubtful. Sabres have great uniforms. A black one could ruin it

Chicago - If the 08-09 third comes back, then that's a great move. It was really popular with fans, and it's a good alternate for the Hawks

Dallas - Really hoping for a green jersey, They need some color and originality

Edmonton - Good to see them leave

Florida - This was a pretty good jersey, Hoping for a resurrection of a pipeless blue jersey as a third

Tampa Bay - Curious to what they come up with

Winnipeg - There are quite a few possibilities

I hear that the Flyers are supposed to make the Winter Classic jersey the third next year. It's a nice jersey (this is from a Penguins and Bruins fan) and it deserves to stay. One thing I don't understand is why the hem stripes don't match the arm stripes.

I really hope so. It'd make a good alternate for the Flyers

I know it's all but a given that the Jets' alternate will be a throwback, but I'd like to see a light blue sweater with the "Jets" wordmark (sans leaf) as the crest. True, the wordmark is terrible, but I think a wordmark-centric sweater in the current scheme would be a nice way to tie the current Jets to the previous Jets without going with a full on throwback.

Don't the league rules mandate a team going two seasons without a third jersey if they have a new uniform, except if the third is a throwback? Unless the NHL has been ignoring that rule - which I'm sure they have been on occasion, that is if this rule even exists anymore - the Jets third next season will more than likely be a throwback rather than something completely new. The 90's Jets jerseys were (as far as I can tell) the most popular ones the original team wore, so I'm willing to bet that's what they go with if they plan to do so.

Same rule could apply to the Lightning, although if they're even getting an alternate I'm wondering if they'll jump on the Buffalo/Ottawa heritage wagon for a 20th anniversary uniform. Seeing as they were too busy rebranding to remember that they needed a patch for this season.

Speaking of 20th anniversaries, I imagine we'll be seeing patches from the Ducks, Stars and Panthers next season, unless they push it a year ahead because of the 04-05 lockout or just don't bother with them. The Stars could very well go with the 20th anniversary thing for their third jersey too.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I guess we also have a new Wings and Leafs jersey to look forward too this year, please please no fauxbacks!

This X1 000 000. Both teams have several good jerseys to choose from; there's absolutely no need to make something up.

I guarantee they'll be fauxbacks. If the Wings couldn't handle wearing direct throwbacks the first time around (laces, shoulder patches) why would they do it now? I really hope the Leafs break out something other than the 67 and 50s jerseys, though i'm sure that'll be a fauxback, too

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I guarantee they'll be fauxbacks. If the Wings couldn't handle wearing direct throwbacks the first time around (laces, shoulder patches) why would they do it now? I really hope the Leafs break out something other than the 67 and 50s jerseys, though i'm sure that'll be a fauxback, too

I think we'll see the Leafs in some type of faux back mixing the 67 or 50s jerseys with vintage white. Same for the Wings.

70389454.png

I really hope so. It'd make a good alternate for the Flyers

I think they're terrible... like a self parody of what a fauxback should be. If they didn't use vintage white I could handle them but as they stand? I'd rather see a black third or the return of the metallic crested one from 00's.

Wait...the Jets needed the Leafs' permission to put a red, stylized maple leaf in the background of their logo, but the Lightning didn't need to? I'm not trying to start the whole "they stole our jerseys" thing, but I find it odd that the Jets would need their permission while a much more similar design didn't.

Wait...the Jets needed the Leafs' permission to put a red, stylized maple leaf in the background of their logo, but the Lightning didn't need to? I'm not trying to start the whole "they stole our jerseys" thing, but I find it odd that the Jets would need their permission while a much more similar design didn't.

How do you not see the difference? The Leafs' trademark is a maple leaf on a NHL jersey. I think it's silly, but I can understand why the Jets needed to make sure it was cool that they also put a maple leaf on an NHL jersey (even though it was a different color and different design.)

The Leafs don't own the color blue - if that was the case then how many other teams would have to clear it with them? The stripes aren't even the same, so I really can't see what the problem is (from a legal standpoint.) Of course we all know that they look sorta similar, butthere is nothing in the jersey design that is a trademark of the TML. Even if there was, how do you know that the Lightning didn't clear it with the Leafs just to be safe? Just because one article didn't mention it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

How do you not see the difference? The Leafs' trademark is a maple leaf on a NHL jersey. I think it's silly, but I can understand why the Jets needed to make sure it was cool that they also put a maple leaf on an NHL jersey (even though it was a different color and different design.)

The Leafs don't own the color blue - if that was the case then how many other teams would have to clear it with them? The stripes aren't even the same, so I really can't see what the problem is (from a legal standpoint.) Of course we all know that they look sorta similar, butthere is nothing in the jersey design that is a trademark of the TML. Even if there was, how do you know that the Lightning didn't clear it with the Leafs just to be safe? Just because one article didn't mention it?

The Bolts probably had to clear it with the Leafs to avoid another Penguins-Bruins fiasco.

If they did need the Leafs' permission, something tells me they wouldn't have allowed it. And while they can't trademark a colour, the Leafs have been wearing that very same blue and white for 95 years now (with a brief 8-year exception 90 years ago). So while there's no legal law to it, it should be an "unwritten rue" - this is Toronto's colour scheme. They've won 12 Cups in it, and many HoFers have worn it. Don't mess with it. Could you imagine the outrage if the Marlins went with midnight blue pinstripes on their new jerseys with the logo on the left breast? That's the exact equivalent - a 90s expansion team in a non-traditional market copying the look of one of the oldest and more storied teams out there. Say all you want about how the striping is different, but a) It's not like it's the Ducks' third jersey striping - it's not that different and b ) It's not even theirs. When you see the Jets on TV, you'll never think you're watching the Leafs. When they zoom in on the logo, the maple leaf won't be the first thing you notice. The Lightning? I swear I think I'm watching Leafs highlights when they're on. Here's another analogy: Kane asked Hull to wear no. 9 for the Jets. He didn't have to - the numbers aren't retired and Hull never played for the organization. But he still did because he understands the tradition and history behind that number in Winnipeg, and knew it would be wrong to just take it, even though he's allowed to.

Archived