NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Black red and yellow was the most bad ass combination, but blue and green represents the city the best. The Orca colours were such a mess, but I loved the jerseys because thats when I became a fan. Looking back at them though...

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I remember hearing something about a new jersey needing to stay the same for two or three years before any changes can be made to them. Maybe that's why Tampa's jerseys this year won't have the victory stripes. I hope though for their fans' sake that the classic uniform from their 2004 Stanley Cup win will be brought back eventually. Honestly, what was so wrong with them?

A little off topic, but I just saw another Burger King jersey sell for about 500 dollars.

... the moral of the story children? Buy that ugly ass jersey, because there's a good chance it will go up in value by 150-200% in 15 years.

why does everyone think winning a cup in a uniform makes it untouchable?

It's about legacy. A fan should be able to look at a picture of their team winning the Cup from years past and be able to identify the uniforms being worn as being from the same aesthetic "tradition" of the uniforms currently being worn. This doesn't mean "Stanley Cup win = untouchable uniforms" but it does mean that teams ought to try to and look like they were at their best.

the pens won back to back cups in athletic gold. the stars won the cup in green. the bolts won the cup in black. the avs got reeboked too. and that's all just recent history.

does anyone really think that if the canucks had won the cup in 1994, they'd still be dressed up like germany? or the sabres in black and red if they'd won in 1999? or better yet, the ducks in eggplant and jade if they'd beat the devils?

All of these are examples of what happened or what could have happened, not what should have happened. The Penguins did change after back to back Cup wins, but in my opinion they shouldn't have.

It's about legacy. A fan should be able to look at a picture of their team winning the Cup from years past and be able to identify the uniforms being worn as being from the same aesthetic "tradition" of the uniforms currently being worn. This doesn't mean "Stanley Cup win = untouchable uniforms" but it does mean that teams ought to try to and look like they were at their best.

I agree. There's something about the identity of your team when they have success that almost feels sacred. It's such an annoyance for me when I see teams winning cups in uniforms that look completely different to what they end up wearing years later. Especially colours! I can live with a change in logo (provided its not too drastic) but the colours really should be the same, forever. I love the Canucks but I hate what they've done with their identity over the years. In fact as much as I was cheering for them to win the cup in 2011, part of me didn't like the idea of them potentially lifting the cup in those 'VANCOUVER' jerseys. To me that look will not last, nor the logo either probably. Bring back the rink and stick 40th anniversary jerseys!

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I agree. There's something about the identity of your team when they have success that almost feels sacred. It's such an annoyance for me when I see teams winning cups in uniforms that look completely different to what they end up wearing years later. Especially colours! I can live with a change in logo (provided its not too drastic) but the colours really should be the same, forever. I love the Canucks but I hate what they've done with their identity over the years. In fact as much as I was cheering for them to win the cup in 2011, part of me didn't like the idea of them potentially lifting the cup in those 'VANCOUVER' jerseys. To me that look will not last, nor the logo either probably. Bring back the rink and stick 40th anniversary jerseys!

Bayne, I felt EXACTLY the same way you did last year. I tried to rationalize the pros of the Canucks' primary uniforms. Ie. the colours and the Stick 'n Rink shoulder patch. However, I just couldn't stomach the thought of seeing the Canucks win the Cup with the orca logo. I still prefer the skating Johnny Canuck logo as the primary identity of the club but I also love the 40th anniversary uniforms. The only changes I would make to the 40th anniversary jerseys is add green accents to the numbers(Watch the football scene in the new Dark Knight movie. The opposing team has the number design and colours the Canucks should have) and I would add Johnny on the shoulders.

A little off topic, but I just saw another Burger King jersey sell for about 500 dollars.

... the moral of the story children? Buy that ugly ass jersey, because there's a good chance it will go up in value by 150-200% in 15 years.

Yep, my dream is to run into a whole case filled with Wild Wing and BK jerseys at a thrift store. No chance the Islanders' black alts or the Thrashers' swag will end up being worth a whole lot of quid though.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Bayne, I felt EXACTLY the same way you did last year. I tried to rationalize the pros of the Canucks' primary uniforms. Ie. the colours and the Stick 'n Rink shoulder patch. However, I just couldn't stomach the thought of seeing the Canucks win the Cup with the orca logo. I still prefer the skating Johnny Canuck logo as the primary identity of the club but I also love the 40th anniversary uniforms. The only changes I would make to the 40th anniversary jerseys is add green accents to the numbers(Watch the football scene in the new Dark Knight movie. The opposing team has the number design and colours the Canucks should have) and I would add Johnny on the shoulders.

I'm just going to point out the fact that you mentioned Dark Knight Rises to a member named Bayne (yes I know, different spelling)...

Yep, my dream is to run into a whole case filled with Wild Wing and BK jerseys at a thrift store. No chance the Islanders' black alts or the Thrashers' swag will end up being worth a whole lot of quid though.

They won't, because they're just ugly, but the old BK, Wildwing, type jerseys are on a whole different level. They're just weird/unique jerseys that came out of nowhere, compared to the Islanders taking a bunch of parts from other jerseys and meshing it together.

EDIT: But a Thrashers jersey might be worth something someday because they're not a team anymore.

They won't, because they're just ugly, but the old BK, Wildwing, type jerseys are on a whole different level. They're just weird/unique jerseys that came out of nowhere, compared to the Islanders taking a bunch of parts from other jerseys and meshing it together.

EDIT: But a Thrashers jersey might be worth something someday because they're not a team anymore.

There's also the matter of scarcity. Keep in mind that Wildwing and Burger King both only stayed around for about half a season, and during that period, only replicas were produced for retail - no authentics were mass-produced for fans.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, it appears their authentics are all from the 2010-11 crop or earlier.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yes the Canucks would be wearing black, red and yellow today if they'd won the cup in 1994.

Proof, please.

It's just common sense. You actually think they would have brought back the Blue, Green and White if they'd lifted the cup in 1994?

Yes the Canucks would be wearing black, red and yellow today if they'd won the cup in 1994.

Proof, please.

It's just common sense. You actually think they would have brought back the Blue, Green and White if they'd lifted the cup in 1994?

I understand how you come to that conclusion, but winning a championship doesn't mean that a brand can't grow stale over time.

The Diamondbacks won a World Series in purple and teal but still had the good sense to recognize that color trends from '90s don't have staying power.

Got my Hockey News Yearbook today, and each team profile features a secondary logo (see Panthers, far right) However, Toronto and Detroit were a bit different.

THN.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived