NHL 2012-2013: Possible Uniform Changes

Morgan33

There's no reason for that line to go through the top point of the star if the star isn't being used as an A in "STARS." The slant of the star doesn't match the straight shield. What a dumb logo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's just your monitor.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

There's no reason for that line to go through the top point of the star if the star isn't being used as an A in "STARS." The slant of the star doesn't match the straight shield. What a dumb logo.

The Texas-Star alternate logo has the same problem, and come to think of it, so does the Mooterus. I've always thought that line establishing the top point of the star as the A was unnecessary. The star comes to a point, much like an A. It's wedged between ST and RS. Was anyone confused as to what word they were reading that they needed to further define that the pointy sharp part in the middle was an A?

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Texas-Star alternate logo has the same problem, and come to think of it, so does the Mooterus. I've always thought that line establishing the top point of the star as the A was unnecessary. The star comes to a point, much like an A. It's wedged between ST and RS. Was anyone confused as to what word they were reading that they needed to further define that the pointy sharp part in the middle was an A?

It does look out of place, but call me crazy on this one... could it be a homage to back when they were the North Stars considering it's pointing up, or am I just giving the people who designed the logo way too much credit?

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

It was a North Stars logo as far back as at least the last season of the N-Star (except at first there was no black and the colors were flipped). It's only an homage to the extent that they haven't changed it. If you're asking if that was the intent all along when the North Stars used it, I dunno, maybe. The fact that it supplanted such a classic logo en route to wiping out the team altogether has always made me hate this one a bit. I don't want to give them much credit.

It does look out of place, but call me crazy on this one... could it be a homage to back when they were the North Stars considering it's pointing up, or am I just giving the people who designed the logo way too much credit?

It was a North Stars logo as far back as at least the last season of the N-Star (except at first there was no black and the colors were flipped). It's only an homage to the extent that they haven't changed it. If you're asking if that was the intent all along when the North Stars used it, I dunno, maybe. The fact that it supplanted such a classic logo en route to wiping out the team altogether has always made me hate this one a bit. I don't want to give them much credit.

The logo was intended to represent the North Stars and the north pointing slant was intentional on the designers part. People refer to it as the "Norm Greed Logo" assuming he made the change purposely to move the team but in reality, Norm Green had nothing to do with the logo. It was designed by Bill Mack, a friend of Lou Nanne, and his payment was North Stars Season Tickets. The goal was to sell merchandise hence the decision to use primarily black and the metallic shade of gold (first instance on an NHL jersey).

The logo was intended to represent the North Stars and the north pointing slant was intentional on the designers part. People refer to it as the "Norm Greed Logo" assuming he made the change purposely to move the team but in reality, Norm Green had nothing to do with the logo. It was designed by Bill Mack, a friend of Lou Nanne, and his payment was North Stars Season Tickets. The goal was to sell merchandise hence the decision to use primarily black and the metallic shade of gold (first instance on an NHL jersey).

Thats right. I remember in an issue of the Hockey News (I had suscribed to the HN from 1985-1999), there was an interview blurb from the designer and he said something like. "I had the Star pointing Northward to the word "Stars" to reflect the team name". Something like that. I'm paraphrasing here because this was back in 1991 so I don't remember the exact quote word for word.

The Catch of the Day!

Most people draw their stars to "point north." This isn't exactly a masterstroke.

I see your point but I think the logo is really underrated. Says exactly what it needs to say and nothing more. I'll be sad to see it go.

The idea was to have the "Stars" wordmark on the top of the star so that the star is pointing to the word "stars" indicating its supposed to be north stars as in the word "stars" being to the north of the actual star.

No, the idea was to codify people calling them "the Stars" in the vein of "the Hawks," "the Wings," and "the Leafs" (look it up, Norm Greed said so), and more importantly to prime the pump for the relocation that was coming down the pike for about five years (he didn't say that part).

The idea was to have the "Stars" wordmark on the top of the star so that the star is pointing to the word "stars" indicating its supposed to be north stars as in the word "stars" being to the north of the actual star.

No, the idea was to codify people calling them "the Stars" in the vein of "the Hawks," "the Wings," and "the Leafs" (look it up, Norm Greed said so), and more importantly to prime the pump for the relocation that was coming down the pike for about five years (he didn't say that part).

NORM GREEN HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS LOGO. Says so in the book, "Northstars History and Memories with Lou Nanne."

Pretty sure he was still free to comment on the logo.

http://www.stateofhockeynews.com/2011-articles/july/a-look-back-the-minnesota-north-stars-the-story-back-then-and-its-legacy-today.html

After that magical season, Norm Green decided to change the logo; so he had Nanne contact local artist Bill Mack to create a new logo. Green insisted that it simply say "Stars" instead of the classic North Stars "N". Nanne believes the logo change was a sign that he wanted to make the team easier to relocate if need be.

Nanne believes the logo change was a sign that he wanted to make the team easier to relocate if need be.

Thats just Lou Nanne's opinion. There is still no evidence to indicate that he wanted "Stars" specifically because of planned relocation. According to Mack it was for artistic purposes.

The Catch of the Day!

If I typed out "WINGS" in red Helvetica Bold Italic or "HAWKS" in black Helvetica Bold Italic, I hope someone would commend me for my superior artistic talent.

If I typed out "WINGS" in red Helvetica Bold Italic or "HAWKS" in black Helvetica Bold Italic, I hope someone would commend me for my superior artistic talent.

Sure, why not...

Go for it!

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived