Super Bowl Fields

ltjets21

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Searching to find a pic of ANY of the 49ers five Super Bowl fields, but coming up snakeeyes.

IMO, the best looking endzones the SB has ever had.

Here's their endzone from XXIX... I'm trying to find one that shows the Chargers side also, they had a yellow endzone. One of the better Super Bowl fields IMO.

sp_niners379095.jpg

EDIT: here we go!

6601074P_SB_XXIX_GENERAL_VIEW_20070825160008_gallery_600.jpg

90758391980.gif

Yeah, I just noticed that, too. I wonder how many years they did that for. That was the last year of the old-style facemasks were used on the field. The classic template was maintained for one final year in SB30, but the helmets were changed to QB facemasks (and the conference logos went back on the helmets).

I think they should go back to the helmet endzones because something was very special about them. They were something you would only see for a game of that magnitude. The endzones they have been using lately just look like what teams would do at home if they painted their endzones.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I am not a fan of the helmets at all. You get too many colored end zone's that don't look right at all. The Giants had red end zones for Super Bowl's XXI & XXV. They just didnt look right. Same with the Eagles for Super Bowl XV. It looks like it would be hard to officiate for out of bounds because of the white border. I would rather see the end zone's match the helmet color if at all possible. Obviously white helmet teams wouldn't work. But it would prevent odd looks.

iq5b7nF.png

I wondered what they would have done for the '80s Jets, too. Black was not yet a team color and their helmets were green. I don't think they would have done white (would have had to leave a few inches of blank grass around the sidelines if they did that). Unless they gave them gray figuring it was neutral, I imagine they would have just used a green background and used a thick white stroke around the helmets.

Also, does anyone know if the league ever produced SB endzone graphics for every team on the chance they made it, or would they basically decide each year what to do? If they had graphics for every team, it would have been interesting to see endzones we had never seen, such as Buccaneers, Lions and Browns.

I know that for my electric football game they offered end zones to place over the standard AFC/NFC end zones on the game. They were just like the end zones from the 80's except it was just the team name, no helmets or conference logos.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think they should go back to the helmet endzones because something was very special about them. They were something you would only see for a game of that magnitude. The endzones they have been using lately just look like what teams would do at home if they painted their endzones.

Couldn't agree more. As a kid in the 80s, I would always watch the Super Bowl wondering what the Packers helmet would look like with a blue "N" on it to the point that I actually felt gypped when they made it to XXXI and it wound up being the first time (in my lifetime) that helmets weren't used.

I swear, I kept hearing last year around here that Steelers vs Packers was the first Super Bowl with no red or blue in the 2 teams' colors.

Well, Super Bowl II was GB/Oakland so that's wrong as of January 1968.

This. And the Steelers do have red and blue on their helmets.

Another shot of SB XXXIX

Super%20Bowl%20XXXiX%2075.jpg

SB XXXI in New Orleans...Pats used a red endzone.

SP_NFL_018_LG.jpg

Brett-Favre.jpg

2fpg-vertical.jpg

Pats also used red in SB XX

gQKe.jpg

What kind of font was that in the XXXI? The current one but lighter blue? Did it have the flying elvis on it? Some of the pats super bowls had flying elvis in the font while others just had "Patriots" without elvis.

Another shot of SB XXXIX

Super%20Bowl%20XXXiX%2075.jpg

SB XXXI in New Orleans...Pats used a red endzone.

SP_NFL_018_LG.jpg

Brett-Favre.jpg

2fpg-vertical.jpg

What kind of font was that in the XXXI? The current one but lighter blue? Did it have the flying elvis on it? Some of the pats super bowls had flying elvis in the font while others just had "Patriots" without elvis.

Yes. The current font with the lighter blue has been around since the introduction of Flying Elvis logo set in the early 90s.

I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it had Elvis on it.

spacer.png

That field featured a seldom used Falcons wordmark, too, that I really liked. I've scoured the internet looking for a good photo, but all I can come up with is this sweatshirt from ebay. IIRC, the endzone was red with this wordmark in white, outlined in black:

$(KGrHqQOKokE4uqyuN1WBO(R4tnkUg~~_12.JPG

Just got home and was able to run a Getty Images search on my laptop (I only had my iPod with me earlier, and don't like to use those sites on my iPod because my browser has problems with the page content). This was the best picture I could find of the Falcons' endzone....kind of a bad angle, but it shows pretty much what you're talking about. Red endzone background, white wordmark outlined in red and black.

51622345.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=FE1CE9934D1C2A8CE42F730314B05240D3524A1DF8FA6493390908E1F641E9DE

EDIT: Oh, and on an unrelated note, I miss the fields with the Super Bowl logo at midfield and the teams' helmets at each 25-yard line. Probably the product of me being a "90's kid", but that was a Super Bowl field to me. Still is. Hate the NFL shield at midfield...just doesn't look right.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived