Super Bowl Fields

ltjets21

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says the guy with two helmets in his signature.

HA!

I agree with espnboy that it looks cluttered and awkward by todays super-streamlined standards, but I don't think he's quite old enough to realize what a treat it seemed like to see those helmets every year.

I meant it all in good fun.

Yeah it was really special to see your team's helmet and wordmark in the Super Bowl style endzone and it was just another part of the Super Bowl experience.

Leading up to the Super Bowl ESPN used to always air a marathon of the NFL Films Super Bowl highlights in chronological order. And of course I watched each and every one (even the bitter Bengal defeats). The fields being the same year after year regardless of venue always felt like a link in history to the games of the past connecting it with the game presently being played. And because of that history it felt bigger, more grand than just the logo.

I don't disagree that a logo looks cleaner than a helmet with the same logo, but I will probably always prefer the helmets in the endzone because of what they symbolize. I miss them and I wish they would bring them back.

I agree with all this. What made the helmets so special was that the endzones were different. The endzones last night? The team could just as easily have those exact endzones at their home stadiums. Hell, the Seahawks' endzones are nearly identical. But in the past, one of the joys of making the Super Bowl was that you got to see your team's helmet endzone, and the only time you'd ever see such a design was if they made the Super Bowl.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Hmm.. the only Super Bowl I watched that had the conference helmets was Super Bowl XXX (the first Super Bowl I remember watching all the way through, at least) and I totally forgot about that being the case. I see the nostalgia for bringing it back, but I'd rather them do the team helmet but with a standalone conference logo in the endzone instead. Quite frankly the pictures I see of the double helmets make it a little too cluttered.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

What I was always curious about was what would the endzones look like for the teams that never made it to the Super Bowl? (When the had the giant helmet logos in the endzones.)

So, that would be Cleveland, Detroit, St. Louis/Phoenix Cardinals, Houston Oilers, Tampa Bay Buccanneers (old uniforms), New Orleans, Atlanta, Seattle...

Not including expansion franchises, I don't think I got them all.

Sounds like a Good possible concept to me.... Hell, maybe one day I'll take the plunge and work on it. I've already gotten all of the Broncos endzones on file.

I wanted to try that, but really got nowhere. So, it's still just a fluid idea.

Here ya go. first set.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/97109-classic-super-bowl-end-zone-concepts/

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I personally prefer the current endzone look, but would like to see the helmets return to the 25 and the game's logo at midfield (as long as they ditched the current generic look, of course). Although this would leave no room for the NFL logo, which wouldn't fly with the league at all.

I personally prefer the current endzone look, but would like to see the helmets return to the 25 and the game's logo at midfield (as long as they ditched the current generic look, of course). Although this would leave no room for the NFL logo, which wouldn't fly with the league at all.

Well the nfl logo replaced the team logos i. The endzones

Says the guy with two helmets in his signature.

HA!

I agree with espnboy that it looks cluttered and awkward by todays super-streamlined standards, but I don't think he's quite old enough to realize what a treat it seemed like to see those helmets every year.

I meant it all in good fun.

Yeah it was really special to see your team's helmet and wordmark in the Super Bowl style endzone and it was just another part of the Super Bowl experience.

Leading up to the Super Bowl ESPN used to always air a marathon of the NFL Films Super Bowl highlights in chronological order. And of course I watched each and every one (even the bitter Bengal defeats). The fields being the same year after year regardless of venue always felt like a link in history to the games of the past connecting it with the game presently being played. And because of that history it felt bigger, more grand than just the logo.

I don't disagree that a logo looks cleaner than a helmet with the same logo, but I will probably always prefer the helmets in the endzone because of what they symbolize. I miss them and I wish they would bring them back.

I agree with all this. What made the helmets so special was that the endzones were different. The endzones last night? The team could just as easily have those exact endzones at their home stadiums. Hell, the Seahawks' endzones are nearly identical. But in the past, one of the joys of making the Super Bowl was that you got to see your team's helmet endzone, and the only time you'd ever see such a design was if they made the Super Bowl.

Not to mention that a lot of teams (especially those who played in baseball stadiums) didn't even have wordmarks in their regular endzones. And when they did, it usually wasn't the official team wordmark.

• 1 month later...

No, the field looked terrible. They should have used orange for the Broncos, and the wordmark should have had an outline no matter what color it was in. Seattle's wordmark was white, meaning they excluded their second and third colors entirely. How hard would it have been to use a gray wordmark outlined in green? Or if they wanted to go without outlines, a green wordmark. Even a bland-as-hell gray wordmark would have been more appropriate. This was one of the worst fields yet.

A-men !

Does anyone know why ? Did the freezing conditions that week have anything to do with it? Each end zone was only 2 colors (no outline), That's never happened beore. It's like they were in a hurry, and didnt have time to add a third color.

It was a very dissapointing SB field.

Again, IMO, it was very close to resembling a home regular season Giants game. Small NFL shield, no helmets, two dark blue end zones with no flair, outlining, etc. I think the only difference was the crappy painted SB logos out there.

No, the field looked terrible. They should have used orange for the Broncos, and the wordmark should have had an outline no matter what color it was in. Seattle's wordmark was white, meaning they excluded their second and third colors entirely. How hard would it have been to use a gray wordmark outlined in green? Or if they wanted to go without outlines, a green wordmark. Even a bland-as-hell gray wordmark would have been more appropriate. This was one of the worst fields yet.

A-men !

Does anyone know why ? Did the freezing conditions that week have anything to do with it? Each end zone was only 2 colors (no outline), That's never happened beore. It's like they were in a hurry, and didnt have time to add a third color.

The endzones were designed to have synergy with the uniforms. Broncos wore orange, the Seahawks wore white. The wordmarks were orange and white. Both helmets were navy. and both endzones were navy. Could they have added an outline to the wordmark? Sure. But it's not like the game was influenced one way or the other by it. If there was an outline, we'd be hard pressed to say "Oh what an improvement to the overall experience".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 months later...

Archived