Seattle Sea Lions

sparkychewbarky

"eartotheground" tells me that Seattle may be in the lead for the new NHL relocation derby.

So I canned the Toronto Torpedos concept (for now) because I needed their sweaters and aqua/orange colour scheme.

I thought for the Seattle franchise that I'd try a new 'version' of the old Cailfornia Golden Seals identity.

California_Golden_Seals-1.png

I went with basically Miami Dolphin colours for the "Seattle Sea Lions", and used a trident symbol that the Mariners weren't using much of anymore...

seattlelogos.jpg

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with chickenfish13 on the notches, some of them look odd. Specifically the only for sure notches to keep would be on the fins. On the secondary I'd even out the white out line to be equivalent to the trident in the primary. Overall I think this will be eventually as successful as the Highlanders concept, can't wait for more.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

Love the color scheme.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

again you suprise me sparky. this is awesome

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

Only problem I have with it is that sea lions are much smoother. He almost looks furry.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I agree with chickenfish13 on the notches, some of them look odd. Specifically the only for sure notches to keep would be on the fins. On the secondary I'd even out the white out line to be equivalent to the trident in the primary.

this is basically exactly what I was going to say. I LOVE the concept. Minor tweaks will make it phenomenal. The color scheme is great.

gYH2mW9.png

This. is. awesome.

Only constructive criticism I can give is:

- definately make the end of the trident into a hockey stick

- make the sea lion grip it a little more

Don't know if you intended it or not, but the top of the trident looks almost like a crown, going along with 'King County'.

I would be very happy if a team adopted this identity.

Can't wait to see jerseys.

sig.png

Nice work sparky! You've done it again.

I agree with others that the sea lion could be a little less "furry" and a little more streamlined.

Also, you may want to keep the white outline around the trident on both the primary and secondary logos a little more consistent. I know it's something pretty minor, but I think making the change will only make the identity more unified.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

For the most part, I really like the logo package and the colours. The name sounds a little minor-league to me, though. Halifax Highlanders, toronto Torpedos, Seattle Sea Lions... they don't all have to be alliterative. ^_^ Your graphic design work and artistic creativity are excellent, but your naming skills not so much haha

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

For the most part, I really like the logo package and the colours. The name sounds a little minor-league to me, though. Halifax Highlanders, toronto Torpedos, Seattle Sea Lions... they don't all have to be alliterative. ^_^ Your graphic design work and artistic creativity are excellent, but your naming skills not so much haha

Wow, you're right aci...I didn't realize that. (I guess I should have figured that I had an alliteration thing happening when I named my kids "spanky" and "spunky".)

Anyway, I'm gonna stick with Highlanders and Sea Lions, but I'm gonna change up the Torpedos later. Thanks for the heads-up...

And thanks to all for your comments and suggestions.

So, I de-furred the beast a bit, (on the tail fins), although I left him a little shaggy to emphasize the "lion" part of his name.

Sea lions have a thicker fur than seals do, and when the males develop a thick neck and shoulders, it gives the impression of a mane.

northern-sea-lion-2395.jpg

The Seattle flag has a cool wave design on it, so I referred to it by putting a subtle part of it near the tail.

I put a "thumb" on the back flipper, and tried the logo with a trident-hockey stick. Not sure about the stick.

'tlph' mentioned the King County aspect. I didn't realize that. The trident could take on a double reference. I tried a new logo with an intertwined 'S' and trident.

newlogos.jpg

Here's a couple of first attempts at unis; a traditional approach and more unique look...

unis.jpg

Again, thanks for all your comments.

Oh man I LOVE that trident hockey stick! The interlocking S trident is gorgeous, and I think that would work really well as a Seattle Mariners cap logo, but I digress.

I think you should go all out on the uniforms. The traditional striping isn't really going to work with such modern and well-rendered logos.

TDZiMMB.png

Archived