Sign in to follow this  
sparky

Seattle Sea Lions

Those look fantastic spark.. The Seattle flag part seems out of place to me, however, if you want to keep it you should add it to the jerseys. Such as on the orange stripes on the traditional look sublimate it underneath in a darker orange.

Love it! It's better than before for sure. The wave pattern should be rotated a bit to not cut off though.

I really like where you went with the non-traditional striping. Not sure if the sock striping/pants striping on that uniform is just a placeholder or not, so I figure I'd make a suggestion: the way the trident goes down the sleeves, when a player has his arms at his sides, it might look cool to have the handle of the trident (and possibly the stick-bottom from the trident/stick logo) appear as an extension on the sides of the pants in place of traditional striping.

I really like where you went with the non-traditional striping. Not sure if the sock striping/pants striping on that uniform is just a placeholder or not, so I figure I'd make a suggestion: the way the trident goes down the sleeves, when a player has his arms at his sides, it might look cool to have the handle of the trident (and possibly the stick-bottom from the trident/stick logo) appear as an extension on the sides of the pants in place of traditional striping.

I think you're right aci. If I go with the "trident-arm" sweaters as the regular home-away set, then the pant stripes should match the arm stripes. Thanks.

Those look fantastic spark.. The Seattle flag part seems out of place to me, however, if you want to keep it you should add it to the jerseys. Such as on the orange stripes on the traditional look sublimate it underneath in a darker orange.

I was going to say the same thing. I think the jersey would look great if you initiated that "wave" into the striping pattern.

I may be in the minority, but I prefer the trident without the hockey stick.

It looks gratuitous.

But I like the concept--I think something like this could work--I do like the trident up the sides look, but also like the more traditional look.

Certainly you have a head start on an alternate uni.

This is fantastic.

Still too many notches, but my main issue is the head. It looks more like a cougar or mountain lion. Sea lions' heads are more dog-shaped. Also, why not just make the trident a hockey stick? It would look like he's winding up for a shot.

Love the update. Awesome work.

I may be in the minority, but I prefer the trident without the hockey stick.

It looks gratuitous.

I'm agreein' with you Stampman. It's an idea that should have looked alright but I couldn't pull it off.

I'm going to stick with the trident.

I streamlined the beast a little more, and I'll get to the uniforms next.

newsllogos2.jpg

Holy crap. This is better than half the logos in the league.

I do understand what you're saying about not using the hockey stick, it does look cleaner, but my only gripe is that it doesn't reference hockey in any way. What if you somehow incoporated some symbols into the trident itself, much like the Kings shield logo. Or, as much as I like the trident looking like a crown, maybe make the 2 outer points into hockey sticks?

Holy crap. This is better than half the logos in the league.

I do understand what you're saying about not using the hockey stick, it does look cleaner, but my only gripe is that it doesn't reference hockey in any way. What if you somehow incoporated some symbols into the trident itself, much like the Kings shield logo. Or, as much as I like the trident looking like a crown, maybe make the 2 outer points into hockey sticks?

Those are all good ideas ti... that I'd like to use later. Actually the "trident-stick" looked pretty neat on its own, so I might place it in a wordmark.

It just seemed a little too much in the main logo, and,

when you think of it, MOST of, (and many of the best), NHL logos, have no visual references to hockey.

I suppose you're right. I just find it 'cute' (such a wrong word, lol) when logos include animals holding, biting or somehow utilizing the sports' equipment. Either way, excellent work.

sea lions are so sleek and fluid, especially in the water...qualities which really translate well to the game of hockey and make this a great identity, in my mind - however, the fur notches on this logo really make this particular sea lion look the exact opposite of sleek and fluid...i'd lose all of them if it were my logo

keep in mind, too, that sea lions propel themselves in the water with their front flippers (seals with their back flippers), and as such, the front flippers are proportionatly much larger than those of a seal - i think you could add another 20-25% to the length of the flippers (especially the back flipper) and have this read more clearly as a sea lion

lastly, if you were to revert to the hockey stick/trident, try putting the "thumb" on the other flipper, and wrapping the back flipper around the stick...it could work (or not :))

So nice and a great tribute to the Seals. This colour scheme isn't used enough. how would it look in kelly green, navy blue and yellow?

This is a damn fine job, sir!

The wave pattern would look neat sublimated on the sweater stripes. Light teal on dark teal.

sea lions are so sleek and fluid, especially in the water...qualities which really translate well to the game of hockey and make this a great identity, in my mind - however, the fur notches on this logo really make this particular sea lion look the exact opposite of sleek and fluid...i'd lose all of them if it were my logo

keep in mind, too, that sea lions propel themselves in the water with their front flippers (seals with their back flippers), and as such, the front flippers are proportionatly much larger than those of a seal - i think you could add another 20-25% to the length of the flippers (especially the back flipper) and have this read more clearly as a sea lion

lastly, if you were to revert to the hockey stick/trident, try putting the "thumb" on the other flipper, and wrapping the back flipper around the stick...it could work (or not :))

I agree with you completely on this about the fur notches. Sea lions are very sleek with no fur. Im sure you looked at pictures of sea lions when making this, but look at this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sea-lion-Houston-Zoo.jpg

If any place needs notches, it is the flippers since their flippers have ripples on them. Consider taking the notches off the body and placing them on the flippers. You could do that in 4 minutes time. Also, sea lions dont have thumbs on their flippers. Try having it wrap around the trident/stick naturally. Just like a person's four fingers would. The way sea lion is holding it now, it is no position to actually swing the trident. This is so close to being "there", but these details are keeping it from being as good as it could be.

leggman, I've removed all of the fur notches except for two on the mane. I'm trying to keep a bit of the "lion" in "sea lion"...

You're right... he does look sleeker.

You and jaha are right about the back flipper too. I'll work on that later.

newsllogos.jpg

It's getting there, and I appreciate all of the help.

Since the notches are a kind of nod to the lion part of sea lion, I feel like you could get away with using a more neutral emotioned face on your logo rather than having it roaring like a lion.

It could give the logo a more dignified but still intimidating look without having it literally looking like a sea-LION.