Seattle Sea Lions

sparkychewbarky

Since the notches are a kind of nod to the lion part of sea lion, I feel like you could get away with using a more neutral emotioned face on your logo rather than having it roaring like a lion.

It could give the logo a more dignified but still intimidating look without having it literally looking like a sea-LION.

I see what you're getting at missouri...

I'll try that. Thanks.

Actually the first sketch on this concept was of a sea---lion; kind of a half fish-half lion, with the full mane, paws, claws, fish scales, etc....

It just looked creepy.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much better but the head still looks like a mountain lion.

I think that's kind of the point... Almost a medieval/heraldistic sea lion design.

I like the direction this logo is going in.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

just a beautiful concept. wish it would be used in the NHL for sure.

only complaint is that it is very similar to the sharks color scheme, and considering they are also on the west coast - not too far away at all - that could be an issue. what about mariners silver instead of gold? or seahawks navy instead of the teal? just wondering if you could post up a few different color schemes and see if they look better.

I'm glad you are keeping traditional seattle colors and themes involved in this.

5 stars my friend, 5 stars!

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

very similar to the sharks color scheme, and considering they are also on the west coast - not too far away at all - that could be an issue. what about mariners silver instead of gold? or seahawks navy instead of the teal?

Thanks worcat. I'll try some different colours. I wonder if using navy and green would be too canuckish?

Anyway, how 'bout Cleveland Brown colours? (inspired by kc51)

Nobody's doing brown in the NHL: and brown seems to be the new black.

Sea lions are brown.

Maybe?...

brown.jpg

Do me a favor please? Where did you find the above templates?

I made them, bleuet.

I don't mind sharing them if someone can tell me how to do that.

Right now, they're an ai file on my old G3 mac. (OS 9)

How do I get those files on to here?

Hey, I've seen your compass logo over on the hfboards.

I made them, bleuet.

Try creating an account on a file sharing website(like media fire). You should be able to pick specific files off you computer to upload.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

hey sparky. can you go ahead and add brown to the teal jerseys as an accent? i want to see if that works.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I prefer the aqua set. I agree that a color scheme of blue & green would be too close to Vancouver- especially with them being but a stone's throw away. I'm not feeling the brown set. For some reason I'm getting an Anaheim vibe from it even if the Ducks are black and not brown. The teal set just seems more like Seattle. I imagine the white version will seem even more like the city's flag. Maybe a variation on the flag could be an interesting third alternate.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I made them, bleuet.

Not only is he living in Nova Scotia, he is using a ... MAC!

LOL

Not feeling the brown. I do agree that brown is very underrated but it's not Seattle. It work work for a team maybe south-west or south-east (I did a Thrashers concept a while back with brown the primary and liked the result).

While I think that blue and green would be too close to the Canucks, I think focusing on green as a primary would be a good way to go. Green has waaaaay under-used in the league since the North Stars and Whalers packed up. What about green-black-silver? I think that'd be sharp.

sig.png

I guess I'll be the wet blanket, because I don't think this is anywhere near the quality of the Highlanders set you did. In no real order, here are some of the issues I see:

- The take on the name. Now, I'm not sure how prevalent sea lions are off the coast of Washington state, but I always assumed sea lions were the smaller, more warm climate versions of their big brothers, seals, which were more common toward the northern and southern poles. However, I think the name could work, but not in the manner you have utilized it in. Here's how I think it could work

• Emphasize "Sea" and "Lions," but not "Sea Lions." Examples:
    Sea_Lion_Logo4522.jpg
    =SEA_LIONS_new_logo_29.jpg
  • Use "Sea Lions," but bring that "Northwest Native American" style that the Seahawks, Canucks, and Thunderbirds use...

- The illustration style. It has way too much of a "rampart" design feel for my liking... and while "ramparts" aren't necessarily my thing, they do work well (see your Highlanders concept) when executed correctly. However, using a rampart was a logical connection to the Highlanders identity. Here, I don't feel that connection at all and it seems too forced. It's almost as if you realized this as well, so you tried to add "modern" elements to the design such as 2-tone shading and brighter, vibrant colors to create a connection between the name and the logo. These conflicts in illustration style are sticking out like a poor thumb.

For example, why is there shading (implying depth and lighting) on the body, yet the head is drawn as a one-color symbol? If there is shading on the body, the eyes, nose, ear, etc. should also have some kind of shading correct? Unless the head is an open skull of course....

If you wanted to keep the "rampart" style, you could change the name to the "Seals" and play off of that with a logo that looks something like an actual seal or crest:

Kingsbrooke-Sea-Lions-Logo-300x300.jpg

There are other things I see, but they really aren't worth commenting on unless the direction or style of the concept is changed first.

/C&C

I can't wait to see this game! Tonight, the Seattle Sea Lions host the Quebec Nordiques!

6887587811_a1da7468ff_b.jpg

forgot the skates and bad quality bro.

I can't wait to see this game! Tonight, the Seattle Sea Lions host the Quebec Nordiques!

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

I made this in 30 minutes. If I got time, I could work more on this.

Of course his concept is better quality.

Try creating an account on a file sharing website(like media fire). You should be able to pick specific files off you computer to upload.

Thanks missouri. I'm trying but can't seem to get it to work...yet.

I've got an ancient version of AI and it won't give me the option of saving a file in svg format ( which seems to be the preferred vector format)

I'll figure it out.

Archived