2012 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Season

sportsfan0518

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chiming in re: attendance for the Brickyard... by and large, we don't care about NASCAR here in Indy. Hell, I'm honestly not sure that NASCAR's even on the radio any more in this town. Whenever you say "tire-gate," we'll still think of the F1 race, not anything NASCAR related.

6fQjS3M.png

JG could go on one of these runs he always seems to do in the late summer. Watkins Glen, Michigan, Bristol, Atlanta, Richmond. Five races to the chase, and Gordon runs good at all of them. Could see him winning two of those, and grabbing a Wild Card spot.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

JG could go on one of these runs he always seems to do in the late summer. Watkins Glen, Michigan, Bristol, Atlanta, Richmond. Five races to the chase, and Gordon runs good at all of them. Could see him winning two of those, and grabbing a Wild Card spot.

Gordon on a run like he always seems to do in late summer? Uh this ain't 1998. When you look over his stats over the last ten years, ol' Jeffy's been extremely average during the month of August. Yes he won at Atlanta last year, but in the last ten years he's had more 30th place or lower finishes (5) vs. wins (3). If you go back to 1999 (the year after he had that amazing run with 6 our of 7 wins at this time period), he's been good, but not spectacular.

I think this has the makings of Kenseth going to Gibbs, and the contract is just about signed. Logano isn't going to be around for much longer. He doesn't fit the Home Depot brand, he's too young and too friggin' dorky. Every time I look at him, I wonder if his momma's going to call him home before it gets too dark. That's not the type of guy who you want selling a home repair/building company, you want someone who's mature. I have no idea if Home Depot has used Logano in print, but I know they've not used him in tv spots and that says a lot to me.

Actually, they have used him in TV spots...

He shot a series of these when he took over the #20 car. But to be honest, I can't recall seeing him in one since then.

BB52Big.jpg

I know that it hasn't been mentioned here, however, one person died and nine others were injured from a lightning strike in the parking lot at the rain-shortened Poconos race over the weekend.

I have been going to the Poconos race in June since 2002 and can attest to the weather being so unpredictable then, as it is in August. It freaks me out that we were fortunate not to experience the intensity of this storm, and I express my sincerest condolences to those who lost a loved one or were injured.

That being said, it's an unfortunate tragedy and I hope that NASCAR continues to have two races at Long Pond next season and beyond. However and realistically speaking, I envision officials keeping one of the two races.

Shame. I was looking at the results and the only dodges in the field were Penske, and they're going to Ford. Nascar is pretty much the only thing that makes me wish they were like what I grew up with. Like, the mid 2000s had tons of successful teams like DEI, Evernham, Yates, Ganassi, Petty, ect. Now there's only about 5 teams that really dominate the sport, and the fact there is 10 start 'em and park 'em drivers almost every race is killing the sport.

I know that it hasn't been mentioned here, however, one person died and nine others were injured from lightning strike in the parking lot at the rain-shortened Poconos race over the weekend.

I have been going to the Poconos race in June since 2002 and can attest to the weather being so unpredictable then as it is in August. It freaks me out that we were fortunate not to experience the intensity of this storm, and I express my sincerest condolences to those who lost a loved one or were injured.

That being said, it's an unfortunate tragedy and I hope that NASCAR continues to have two races at Long Pond next season and beyond. However and realistically speaking, I envision officials maintain either keeping one of the two races.

Agreed, terrible news, and I know that type of weather is very common in that area.

With Pocono, I haven't seen the attendance numbers, but both races draw fairly well if I'm not mistaken. The things I would do to the NASCAR schedule. Step one eliminating one Pocono race. Yes, I'll admit it. Not entertaining races, I get the oddity of running on a Triangle, racing there wasn't always bad, wasn't till the new car came along. Maybe try 300 miles? You could bill it as the "Sprint of the Summer" I don't know, just an idea.

Shame. I was looking at the results and the only dodges in the field were Penske, and they're going to Ford. Nascar is pretty much the only thing that makes me wish they were like what I grew up with. Like, the mid 2000s had tons of successful teams like DEI, Evernham, Yates, Ganassi, Petty, ect. Now there's only about 5 teams that really dominate the sport, and the fact there is 10 start 'em and park 'em drivers almost every race is killing the sport.

Very true. Fans are split on how they feel about which way the series is going. The point of the start and parks are just to earn money, to what? Start and park again? Granted a lot of the guys run Nationwide, and can at least be competitive in that series, but most of them aren't young guys and either blew their one chance at the big time (JJ Yeley, Dave Blaney) or at the end of their careers (Joe Nemechek, Terry Labonte) the latter guys know they have had their time in the sun, but unless your some hot shot at your local track that catches the eye of Tony Stewart or one of the top teams. You're not going anywhere in the sport, and that's just how the Evolution of NASCAR goes.

I would love to fast forward 10 years from now, and see what NASCAR is like. I can tell you in 2002, I didn't think it'd be like this.

I mean, I love the CoTs, and the chase. But I feel like the schedule and teams who hit it and quit it every sunday are bringing it down. Remember when Toyota came in and there was a huge battle at the 35th in points? This year there is seriously no drivers who can crack the top 30 in that spot

I mean, I love the CoTs, and the chase. But I feel like the schedule and teams who hit it and quit it every sunday are bringing it down. Remember when Toyota came in and there was a huge battle at the 35th in points? This year there is seriously no drivers who can crack the top 30 in that spot

I wonder if 43 is too many now? I mean you'll always have 44 or 45 guys try and qualify for any race that isn't the Daytona 500 or Coke 600. But when only 25 cars or so are having a decent shot at finishing well, it does defeat the purpose of the Top 35, and I remember those races, FOX would bill it up hard, now it's really nothing. I mean in all sports you can't have 30 good teams or what not, you can't have 30 or so solid racecars.

I think it's time to trim the starting grid to 40 or a little less. I don't know if that would make a huge difference, it's either stop the start and park, or trim the field. I interpret the Start and Park like the 2008 Detroit Lions going out and playing a quarter, then quitting.

I hate it that we called this way before Dodge even did. Its a shame, it was IMO the best looking new car.

Well, let the speculation of who to replace them begin? I'd say Honda & Nissan would be the frontrunners followed by Hyundai & VW, I'd still would like to see NASCAR expand on manufactures.

baltimoreravens.png

Logano is down to 2 choices...

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/story/_/id/8248008/joey-logano-mulling-2-full-time-cup-offers-1-joe-gibbs

"I've got a couple of offers," the 22-year-old driver said on Wednesday at Charlotte Motor Speedway, where he was promoting fall events. "I'm just trying to decipher what's the best for me. What's going to give me the most trophies and win the most races out of? I could be fairly close (to a decision). I could be a few weeks out. It all depends on the next couple of days, actually."

The other team that ESPN is reporting is Penske. Now, he'll stick with Gibbs if they can get Joey some sponsorship, but Penske sees the talent that he has but at the same time, I don't think Shell/Pennzoil is looking at Logano as someone that could represent them.

Speaking of Penske, I could see Newman coming back or even Trevor Bayne. I guess all will come forth around August.

baltimoreravens.png

I can honestly see Dodge back in 2014. Give them a year to evaluate where they sit. Maybe go back and get another start up team like they had in Evernham back in 2001.

Archived