Logolympiad voting: event #7

Well I refused to put the site of the game because I felt that in a realistic situation, the NFL wouldn't put the name of the site. In fact, I don't think the date is needed either. I thought a logo had to be generic enough to suit all divisions.

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... BiB interesting standard for voting. I don't nessesarily agree. I think of the game logo as needing to be as flexible as possible, to accomodate each different match up. I would see one logo, used with different stock team logos/helmets/etc placed on it, for the different games. The interchage-ablility was my interpretation of this contest.

My votes are:

1. Shiznit

2. GMS

3. Waffles

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

NOTE: Without meaning to "bring anyone down", I just have to comment on an aspect of this contest's submissions that surprised me. I was really taken aback by how many submissions failed to include either any mention of the featured contest being a divisional title game, the date of the game and/or the site of the game. I had set a personal judging standard that I would not cast my vote for any submission that didn't include all three pieces of information, as well as the competing teams. Artwork could be great, but if the logo didn't communicate these three vital pieces of information it didn't meet my litmus test.

as evidenced by the voting and BiB's 'litmus test', i lose.

Well I refused to put the site of the game because I felt that in a realistic situation, the NFL wouldn't put the name of the site. In fact, I don't think the date is needed either. I thought a logo had to be generic enough to suit all divisions.

Well I got chastised in the other event thread for stating that I'd have some reservations about voting for a design that wouldn't render realistically as a patch. A few people got all noid on me for making rules up.

So where's the line on criteria vs. rules? Maybe WiB can give us some insight.

Like, when he posts a deadline, and somebody submits a post after the deadline and it's allowed to be entered. How long after the official deadline can a concept be entered before it's really not allowed. 5 minutes? 1 hour? The next day, maybe? Maybe there's a primary deadline and an alternate deadline in logo contests? I never get many votes, so it never really affects me, but I'd be squeaky about a late entry that pulled votes away from me.

But hey, the important thing is to have fun. Besides, I'm just going to wait until the end of the voting here, count up the votes and if it's close, see who I might be able to knock out with my votes. HA. Just kidding guys. really, just kidding.

There's no reason that the individual artwork can't be unique for each match-up while still communicating which division title is being contested, where the contest is taking place and on what date.

The reason I established the selection criteria I did - and again I stress that it is my personal criteria for this LOGOLYMPIAD event - is that the contest outline asked us to imagine that the NFL playoffs were expanded to eight teams from each conference... two teams from each division, in order to facilitate four "Divisional Championships". I have to believe that if such a move were truly made, the NFL would play up the site and date of these "truly" Divisional Championship games.

Just my personal opinion while voting. I'm not claiming that it was part of WiB's standards.

Brian in Boston

I was lazy and didn't go hunting for a calendar to see what the date of the playoff would be. And I made my design somewhat "generic" so that the posiition of the helmets could change for the matchup, and the colors of the top and bottom bars could go to blue for the NFC. I figure that's what the NFL would do for a logo template for a divisional championship game. Look at the current conference championship logos. Colors and conf. logo changed, but the logo itself is the same.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

...and an absolutely fair one at that, BiB. I see your point, and it was well made.

I just decided for my taste, to vote for the overall feel of the designs that I enjoyed the most.

Either way to go about it is cool. ^_^

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

I was lazy and didn't go hunting for a calendar to see what the date of the playoff would be. And I made my design somewhat "generic" so that the posiition of the helmets could change for the matchup, and the colors of the top and bottom bars could go to blue for the NFC. I figure that's what the NFL would do for a logo template for a divisional championship game. Look at the current conference championship logos. Colors and conf. logo changed, but the logo itself is the same.

That's what I did! :D I didn't the date on there since normally it is not seen on anything except merchandise and wouldn't be on the field.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

*CHEAP PLUG*  Vote Shiznit! *CHEAP PLUG*

*CHEAPER PLUG* VOTE FIASCO!!! *CHEAPER PLUG*

*CHEAPEST PLUG*PLEASE pick me! :P *CHEAPEST PLUG*

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

Archived