Non Contrasting Jersey Crests

Morgan33

Back in the 80's teams like the Calgary Flames, Hartford Whalers, Minnesota North Stars and Winnipeg Jets had two primary logos. A white one for their coloured jerseys and a coloured one for their white jerseys. This ensured that fans in the stands could clearly make out their teams logos. Today we are seeing an unfortunate trend where the logo is the same colour as the jersey it's placed on, with just a few outlines to separate it. Here are just a few examples.

First off we see a primarily black Flyers logo placed on a Black jersey with nothing more than a little white outline to differentiate it...

nhlphiladelphiaflyers04.jpg

Next we have the Bruins shoulder logo with the same a problem. The application works fine on the Away jersey but on the home they should have gone with a black logo.

16749144.jpg

The biggest offender however is the Canucks alternate jersey where this flaw appears not only on the shoulder patches but the main crest as well. These logos should be white.

vancouvershoulder2.jpg

Even the recently designed Winnipeg Jets jerseys aren't safe from this trend. How much better would the logo look on the Home jersey if the Circle was Aviator Blue?

winnipegjetshomejerseyr.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Bruins made the logo black instead of yellow, then there would be a yellow bear. I understand that contrasting colors look better but sometimes there are situations where a color-swap would lead to elements of a logo not making sense.

594dd21ce423b_SmallHats.png.3601f33ba30ee66006c37617c7069ace.png

I don't really find it to be a big deal. The Wild, Flyers, and Blues logos would look AWFUL recolored. I don't think the Jets would look good either with a light blue roundel on the home. The Canucks have no excuse for their front logo on the third. The shoulder logo looks fine as it is, ditto to the Bruins home.

Canucks and the Leafs do it... I am not sure why the Canucks only have on shoulder patch logo though, it would be so easy just to make the stick in the rink logo on the blue jersey white...

Exactly. They made two primary logos, both of which contrast perfectly against their respective jerseys but didn't bother to give the same treatment to the shoulder patches. Only thing holding the set back IMO

Is it really that big of a deal? You can clearly see the logo because it's outlined.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yeah, I'm not feeling the problem.

For example, with the Jets, they wanted the logo to prominently feature their primary dark blue color.

If they made the outer circle aviator blue, it wouldn't match the primary logo. If the primary logo featured aviator blue, then the team's primary color wouldn't be so prominent on merchandise.

I could see the Flyers switching colors on the black jersey and it would look fine, but I really don't see much of problem with this. What is a real problem are when the names and numbers are hard to read. I was watching the Lakers-Celtics game on Thursday and had a hard time seeing either team's numbers unless it was up close. Normally the Lakers yellows don't give me that problem, but I guess it was the cameras or the Celtics floor, or a combo of both, but it really made me miss the purple numbers of the Magic Johnson era.

Back in the 80's teams like the Calgary Flames, Hartford Whalers, Minnesota North Stars and Winnipeg Jets had two primary logos. A white one for their coloured jerseys and a coloured one for their white jerseys.

id agree with you about non-contrasting crests, but this happens to be a bigger pet peeve of mine. It's your damn logo. It's your identity. You cant have it change colors!!

4262004855_632a4a46f3_z.jpg

do believe the hurricanes shoulder logo on the alternate jersey deserves a mention.

Seriously? That's legit?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I don't see a problem whatsoever because they are large enough as front crests and the secondary crests are just that, secondary and should blend.

I actually like the single crest for both jerseys. Its an interesting design problem... design a crest that works on white and on color. Most of my favorite hockey sweaters work just this way.

There are lots of crests that manage this fine. The Blackhawks, Bruins, Oilers, Hurricanes and Blue Jackets all have complex logos comprised of many colours. However for teams with simpler logos like the Maple Leafs, Blues, Flames, and Lightning, the two versions are a necessity.

Teams like the Sabres, Jets and Kings don't understand this concept and their jerseys suffer as a result.

For example, with the Jets, they wanted the logo to prominently feature their primary dark blue color.

If they made the outer circle aviator blue, it wouldn't match the primary logo. If the primary logo featured aviator blue, then the team's primary color wouldn't be so prominent on merchandise.

That's why you would only ever use the aviator blue version on the dark jersey. You don't ever see the Navy version of the Blues logo on any merchandise.

Archived