The Winter Elite Showcase

creativelysain

Okay, I will post both of the versions I created. I really wanted to make this relevant to the locals as much as possible, so I didn't want a Phantoms identity where any city could simply be swapped in and work just as well. The first time, it was pirate-related, but I tried my best to communicate ghost-pirate rather than just pirate. I also tried to use the ironwork found in the city as inspiration, which I did with the hair. That also helped push the ghost concept a bit further I think. Here is that version:

EliteShowcase_-dp-.png

That is just pure sex. Well done.

6fQjS3M.png

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thought id go through an give some feedback/critiques . . .

Phantoms_GoNordiques_2.png

GoNordiques - the concept is pretty strong and along the lines of what most of us were thinking. the problem here is the shapes are going everywhere and there is no defined directional flow. is it moving up and down as it goes forward? is it moving fast? is it trailing ghostly flames? if the silhouette were more strongly defined, it would help but mostly, its hard to read inside. im not sure if this is the hood of a spirit or a blob like Slimer from Ghost Busters. it could work with another round or two of refinement focusing on the shapes and directional movement.

the type is really "stock", though for the level this college is at, it might be appropriate enough. it just has a feeling that this is not what a school would rebrand to today, but something they would be rebranding away from.

DribbblePhantoms.png

Matt Willcox - really like the hooded figure and shadowing. im not feeling the wings though. they're not large enough to be scary/intimidating or realistically carry the weight of the phantom (i know its science fiction, but is a proportion illustrators take seriously. see here for a good example: http://addicted2chaos.deviantart.com/favourites/#/d8umhz) they also just distract from the really nice mark sitting on top of it, which occupies a space nicely and would fit well on a helmet, hat, shirt etc. if you cant bare to part with the wings i would suggest doing a different color so it separates them from the phantom and brings the character forward in the composition, creating some hierarchy and depth, instead of taking everything in all at once.

phantom.jpg

Fixer - im having a little trouble reading this one. not sure if its a face/hood sitting on top of a shield or the top of the hood has some depth of field perspective going on. other than that it is nicely rendered. except for the eyes. i instantly see this figue as laughing, like hes happy rather than expressing an evil grin. i think its the bottom of the eyes. notice how Fraser draws his eyes here: http://cargocollective.com/davidson/The-West-Sydney-Pirates the angle/direction of the face structures give a totally different expression. i would focus on that. getting it right would make this just about ready to launch for a school.

phantomsghostpresentation.png

Bob Schultz - definitely my favorite of the group. the only things i would change would be some minor personal aesthetic preferences, so they're really not worth mentioning. this is solid work all around. the Hydro74-esque (maybe it is one of his?) type face is totally appropriate and reads "phantom and ghostly" as much as the figure itself. the A might be too "cool" for its own good though. its kind of doing its own thing with those downward points off the cross bar. eliminating them would give the whole mark a much better unity and rhythm.

EliteShowcase_-dp-.png

DP - by far the best concept. you've achieved what was askd in the design brief and incorporated some local history AND architecture into the mark to create something completely original and unique from the rest of the group. thats :censored:ing ace! the rendering though needs some work. the mouth/teeth area is the worst part. it just dosent read as so. the lines within the face are way too thick too. it seems like we get a lot of disjointed, separated shapes trying hard to create a face. you dont need much, as you can tell from Bob's logo, but work on those lines and details. bring them together and define the mouth.

PhantomsLogoR2-01.png

i like the word mark here a lot, but your last "NA" might be a bit too close together. the weird lighter purple highlighting isnt very good, it becomes a focal point and takes away from what otherwise is another very good logo. make it all a flat color and could be a logo for this school today

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

The first time, it was pirate-related, but I tried my best to communicate ghost-pirate rather than just pirate.

Argh dp...Oi went wit a ghost-pirate spin also.

In fact, Oi wrote a friggin' short novel, but to no avail.

The landlubbers wanted somethin' different.

Oi was well out to sea when the redo command came through, so Oi had to withdraw from the battle.

There's some beauty stuff here mates. Congrats, but where's yer mascots?!

Anyway here's me first-round stuff...

phantompg1.jpg

phantompg2.jpg

phantompg3.jpg

phantompg4.jpg

phantompg5.jpg

Yeah, I didn't like how we all took time to research the city and found that pirates "haunt" the city. And after the submissions the judges don't want that, but rather a more "generic" ghoul.

Was there any reason behind that?

The initial brief mentioned using any creature, being or element to represent phantoms, and mentioned that creativity was encouraged, then for some unknown reason they changed their minds.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Yeah, I didn't like how we all took time to research the city and found that pirates "haunt" the city. And after the submissions the judges don't want that, but rather a more "generic" ghoul.

Was there any reason behind that?

The initial brief mentioned using any creature, being or element to represent phantoms, and mentioned that creativity was encouraged, then for some unknown reason they changed their minds.

understand what you are saying completely, but to be fair, that does happen in the real world.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

[understand what you are saying completely, but to be fair, that does happen in the real world.

Also to be fair...all of the entries are pretty "literal" in their translation of the Phantom theme.

They all, including mine, depict how the Phantom should appear; like mini illustrations.

Were there no 'symbolic' or 'letter' logos entered?

Anyway, under the latest guidelines, I'd give the gold to -{dp}- and the silver to undead.

Archived