Is anyone else tired of hearing the New York "football" Giants?

jakemon08

I'm not saying Miami can't call themselves 'The U', or that they have no right to, I also completely understand that it fits with their whole 'swagger' thing they've got going on, and I still find it annoying.

As I said, it's also a logo thing. Miami's athletics logo has been the two-tone U for forty years.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It only annoyed me when Chris Berman would ANYTHING.

Fixed.

I lol'd because you beat me to the punch :lol:

New York Football Giants

T?H?E (<--- that looks stupid) Ohio State University

San Diego Super Chargers

Seattle Supersonics (too soon?)

Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem

They all sound stupid. That said, I'm glad someone loathes the name as much as I do. I mean really, how many members here were actually born before the "New York Baseball Giants" relocated?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

I've been excitedly watching THE Nebraska Football Cornhuskers' recruiting class for 2012.

See, people? See?!

It makes you sound like a pompous douchewipe.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

It's just harmless school pride, in reality. Almost every college or team has some sort of thing like this, it just happens that OSU's is overused, over-hyped, and overdone by the Worldwide Leader.

Exactly. Not sure how this is a problem. It's fun for the people that say it, and it provides amo for the haters. Everyone wins.

I love the "New York Football Giants" moniker...

What I can't stand is when people call them the "Jints"...

Knock it the fu*k off...

I prefer "Ginas".

ginas-t-shirt.png

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't get referring to ESPN as "The Worldwide Leader."

Kind of like referring to the Yankees as "The Bronx Bombers".

huh?

The Yankees have been called the Bronx Bombers here in MA since before I was born. I first heard it in the late 70s growing up.

It's not said all the time, but here and there.

Maybe it wasn't a national thing.

They are also referred to as "the pinstripes" now and then.

Try this one then:

Referring to ESPN by saying "worldwide leader" is akin to referring to

the Montreal Canadiens as "The Habs" or "Les Habs"

They're both nicknames.

sig-1.png

Yeah, I've only heard it said as "the pinstripes".

And actually, it's usually said in the context of them coming here, which makes less sense,

since the Yanks don't have pinstripes on the road grays.

"The Red Sox continue the homestand Friday, when the pinstripes come to Fenway...." or

"The Bronx Bombers make their 2012 Fenway debut Friday April 20...."

sig-1.png

huh?

The Yankees have been called the Bronx Bombers here in MA since before I was born. I first heard it in the late 70s growing up.

They don't use " Evil empire" anymore?

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Says the Bostonian. :P

People talk about being "in pinstripes", but I don't think I hear anyone refer to the team as "the pinstripes".

Mainer, actually :P

And I've heard people refer to them as "The Pinstripes", mostly on sports broadcasts "In sports, the Pinstripes held off Tampa Bay in the Bronx last night..."

huh?

They don't use " Evil empire" anymore?

That's sooooooo 2004. :P

spacer.png

Hmm.

Here in Gotham, we say "in pinstripes", as in "he's struggled on the mound since he got in pinstripes", but if we're talking about a member of the club I think we're far more likely to call him a "pinstriper".

And you can still use Evil Empire as long as the Yankees play the Imperial March before games...

Well, it sounds pompous, but they, as a whole, do have some footprint just about everywhere in the world.

I don't mean ESPN referring to themselves that way, I mean other people. It's just a weird thing to type out or say when you're talking about them.

Archived