Is anyone else tired of hearing the New York "football" Giants?

jakemon08

I see where you're coming from, BBTV, but there's a big difference between presenting various angles on a story (which happens in "regular" news, as well) and actually insulting the players, coaches, and owners you're supposed to cover impartially.

It's one thing to say "LeBron needs to take charge more often in the 4th quarter". It's a whole different thing to say "OMG LOLOLOL LEBRICK LEBRICK LEBRICK THE QUITNESS HEY QUEEN JAMES WHERE'S YOUR CROWN?" every time LeBron does anything. The former is a valid critique, while the latter is unwatchable, annoying jealousy in action, magnified by the fact that Skip Bayless tells the same old jokes a million times every morning on First Take. That's why people can't take ESPN seriously despite their lame, half-hearted efforts to promote themselves as a serious news outlet.

Bolded item #1 - are they really supposed to cover them impartially? On a panel or editorial-type show?

Bolded item #2 - yet you watch. And so do a lot of other people. And when not watching, you're talking about it and posting about it here on a message board, which gets it in the minds of other people, which will get them to watch. Heck - I may have to find out who this Skip Bayless guy is just to see if he's this annoying. It reminds me of a scene from Howard Stern's Private Parts - his fans listen to him for 30 mins a day (or something like that.) His haters listen to him for 2 hours a day (or something like that.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it does, who did he leg drop to turn heel?

He already did. Think about it.

His stint with the Falcons was like Hogan's stay in the AWA.

Most of his Packers career is like the Hulkamania era of the WWF. People loved him, despite questionable drug use.

His last few years with the Pack were like Hogan's first WCW run. Still doing the same routine, but people are getting tired of it.

His tenure with the Jets is like the brief period Hogan had between abandoning his face persona and joining the nWo where he still wore red and yellow, but paired it with black gloves and a black bandana while making veiled allusions to OJ Simpson. People aren't sure whether to hate or like the guy.

Favre joining the Vikings is like Hogan joining the nWo. His first season in Minnesota is like Hogan's inaugural nWo run. It was a success, a re-invigoration of his career. His second season with Minny is like tail end of the nWo story. He became stale, slow, tired, unable to do what he once could, but so over-exposed that people celebrated him being off tv.

The only things left are for him to return to the Packers for a nostalgic, yet meaningless, run before becoming the player coach of a UFL or Arena team.

Wow, is it possible for Ice Cap to win PotD twice yesterday?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Bolded item #1 - are they really supposed to cover them impartially? On a panel or editorial-type show?

Maybe impartial was the wrong word... what I meant was that, even on an opinion show, they should treat the athletes they cover with a certain level of respect. Ranting on and on about "LeBrick" is just as inappropriate as, say, Bill O'Reilly deciding to exclusively refer to the president as "Obummer". Many ESPN analysts - Bayless included - started out as sports columnists before transitioning into TV. You'd think they'd know how to express an opinion without degenerating into middle school-esque namecalling.

Bolded item #2 - yet you watch. And so do a lot of other people. And when not watching, you're talking about it and posting about it here on a message board, which gets it in the minds of other people, which will get them to watch.

Not entirely true... the only thing on ESPN I watch with any regularity (other than live sports) is SportsCenter, and while they dip into the trolling/opinionated nature of their panel shows, it's not as bad.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Maybe impartial was the wrong word... what I meant was that, even on an opinion show, they should treat the athletes they cover with a certain level of respect. Ranting on and on about "LeBrick" is just as inappropriate as, say, Bill O'Reilly deciding to exclusively refer to the president as "Obummer". Many ESPN analysts - Bayless included - started out as sports columnists before transitioning into TV. You'd think they'd know how to express an opinion without degenerating into middle school-esque namecalling.

OK, I get it when you put it that way. I"ll agree that there's a line. The problem is that on these shows, the "journalists" are put in the roles of fans, almost to simulate "water cooler" talk but on TV. People don't always speak respectfully about athletes when discussing with their friends, and I think that what you're seeing is sort of an extension of that. The mere fact that the show is broadcast to a national audience though does mean that there should be some standard that is probably not currently being met.

Bolded item #2 - yet you watch. And so do a lot of other people. And when not watching, you're talking about it and posting about it here on a message board, which gets it in the minds of other people, which will get them to watch.

Not entirely true... the only thing on ESPN I watch with any regularity (other than live sports) is SportsCenter, and while they dip into the trolling/opinionated nature of their panel shows, it's not as bad.

It seems that you know an awful lot about these shows so I assumed you watched them. Even if you don't, the point still stands - lots of people do, and then talk about it which spreads the interest.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Skip Bayless was at one time a fairly respected sportswriter who was then hired by ESPN and made to play some sort of strange leatherfaced, crypto-racist harpy. Hope this helps! :-)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The only time Bayless has been any kind of passable lately was in that 30 for 30 about SMU and that's only because there were other better journalists out there to balance him out.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Crypto racist?

You don't need to watch him for very long to realize that he went right past "crypto".

. . . which is one more reason I have enjoyed the clips of Terrell Suggs taking him to task.

For the record, those clips are (thankfully) almost all I have seen of Skip Bayless in the last 5+ years.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Haven't seen any of that, I have so little interest in or regard for the character Bayless is playing these days.

I wish the entire world felt the same way.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Haven't seen any of that, I have so little interest in or regard for the character Bayless is playing these days.

For your viewing pleasure --

Are we allowed to say "d*****bag" around here?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have no problem with "The Ohio State University". There is a reason for the "The". Ohio State is Ohio's only true flagship. In most states, if there was only one flagship public university, it would be called "The University of _____" (think "University of Maryland, University of Arkansas, University of Minnesota). Only three states that I can think of have only one public flagship university and it goes by the name of "_________ State University". (other states, like Michigan with U-M and MSU and Indiana with IU and Purdue, have two public flagship universities, but I'm only referring here to those states with one)

Each one of these states does something to its name to differentiate it, something given deference, I think, because of its position:

Louisiana State University gets to be called "LSU"; if it were not the singular flagship, even despite its multi-syllable name, it would have been Louisiana State

Pennsylvania State University gets to be called "Penn State" instead of Pennsylvania; even the private university, the University of Pennsylvania, though mostly called Penn can be called Pennsylvania. There is, however, no "Pennsylvania State"

Ohio State, unlike the other two, does not alter its familiar name, Ohio State, it being just like all the other "State's" out there. However, the "The" in its name is there for a reason. It stands for OSU's ability to make itself into the flagship for Ohio, no small feat for the land-grant university which came into existence many years after Ohio and Miami universities. OSU was stuck in the unusual position of being not only a newcomer, but a newcomer in a state where a number of state schools were top notch (Miami, for example, has a quality that secondary universities in other Big Ten states....ie. Western Michigan, Ball State, Illinois State, UWM, etc., could never reach).

So with prominent in-state public universities on a more secondary level (again, Miami, Ohio, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, etc.) and OSU's lateness in joining the pack and then working hard for the flagship role, one can understand the "t" in tOSU

Archived