New USFL Logo

Shizznick

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the first team will be the Akron Fire.

This is what they have up on twitter and facebook. They can't be serious right?

Awk7V5NCEAA03t-.jpg

It HAS to be just a placeholder. There is so much wrong about this logo...

So what were seeing is a mix between the Miami Heat and a random football club near Cleveland? Does LeBron has any interest in ownership in this? But out of all names, Akron Heat? Seriously? IMHO that designer and ownership should have explored other inspirations for a logo and/or a team name.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

• 1 month later...

I think this is the last season, and I'm not sure they will make it all the way through. Sacramento, which had good crowds for 2 years, was a graveyard at the new venue last week. I heard nobody's gotten paid yet either. Last years abbreviated season killed them. Nobody wants to invest (financially or emotionally) in a league they know will die.

timmy.png

Akron Heat? Seriously? IMHO that designer and ownership should have explored other inspirations for a logo and/or a team name.

That never clicked for me. How hot does it get in Akron? Silly name. Like calling a fat guy, Tiny.

Looks like the first team will be the Akron Fire.

This is what they have up on twitter and facebook. They can't be serious right?

Awk7V5NCEAA03t-.jpg

It HAS to be just a placeholder. There is so much wrong about this logo...

The "R" in Fire looks so wrong. It's almost as if they copy/pasted another part of the logo without bothering to change the gradient.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

Akron Heat? Seriously? IMHO that designer and ownership should have explored other inspirations for a logo and/or a team name.

That never clicked for me. How hot does it get in Akron? Silly name. Like calling a fat guy, Tiny.

I think Fire is a veiled reference to Firestone. Akron is the home to major tire and rubber production (Rubber Bowl, for example) so I think they are trying to reference the vulcanizing process and the Firestone tire without getting sued.

Still not a great name.

I think Fire is a veiled reference to Firestone. Akron is the home to major tire and rubber production (Rubber Bowl, for example) so I think they are trying to reference the vulcanizing process and the Firestone tire without getting sued.

Still not a great name.

If this league actually plays in now 2014, and Akron gets a team, it will NOT be named the Fire.

From August 9:

“We were kicking things around,” said Mason. “We had the Akron Phoenix. And we threw that around, and we liked the idea of having fire in the name. Well, there’s Firestone — what if we do ‘Firebird’?”

The name settled upon was the Akron Fire. Unfortunately, it did not set the world on, well, you know.

So, Akron’s potential USFL franchise is in need of a name, and Mason is open to suggestions. He also would like to hear the thoughts of Leader readers as to the team’s colors.

“People weren’t quite sold on the Akron Fire,” said Mason.

“We have all the paperwork in place,” said Mason. “It looks like I’ll be headed to San Diego [the location of USFL headquarters] at the end of the month to get them to sign off on everything. It’s in our attorney’s hands right now. He’s looking at everything.”

That is now two months ago. Giggle.

There is no connection between the UFL and USFL, and to be honest, the way the UFL has been run, I doubt anyone would want to bring the principles into their league at any price. The USFL would do well to distance themselves as much as possible from the UFL.

Archived