nitroseed

WrestleMania 29 Logo Released

This is sports logo community, not TV/showtime/ theater community. I don't see what a logo for an organization of few actors has to do with sports, apart for them taking a legit sport's name.

Yeah, but don't they still consider themselves the "Worldwide Leader in Sports Entertainment"? :therock:

And Gatorade is a Sports drink. Should we discuss their logo as well? <_<

Actually... yes? We'd certainly all go into a kerfuffle if Nike or Under Armour changed their logos. There are lots of companies on the periphery of sports whose identities (apparel manufacturers, everpresent energy drinks, etc.) are closely intertwined with the products we see on the field and could definitely be considered for discussion in a sports logos forum. I don't know that I'd put a new Alaska Airlines logo in this forum just because Just my two cents.

What amuses me more than anything else is that the butthurt folks who can't stand the idea of a WWE logo being discussed in this spot actually take the time to respond, tell us how butthurt they are about it, and subsequently bump the topic back to the top of the page. This isn't Reddit- there are no downvotes here. If you don't think a topic is interesting or worthy of discussion, just ignore it. Or, God forbid, use the Report feature if you're really and truly offended. Every response saying "this doesn't belong here" just sends it back to the top of the stack and calls more attention to the subject. So, LOL.

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere. A search turned up no results.

0dlzH.jpg

This is the first time I've seen that kind of trademark disclaimer attached to an image of the Empire State Building.

I get that the building is a brand and the owners of the brand have a legitimate right, desire, and incentive to both control and profit from its use...

But the Empire State Building is also a iconic symbol that instantly identifies an event or product with New York City - and, in this case, the surrounding region - as a whole. Take away the NY/NJ (no, really, take it away) and the logo still immediately reads as a New York-area Wrestlemania because of the ESB right there in the middle.

I feel like something like this should be in the public domain - that its status as a universal stand-in for New York transcends the claims of its owners to control its use.

I wonder if that disclaimer applies to ALL depictions of the of the Empire State Building, or just this one in particular. I tried looking up "ESBC logo" and "Empire State Building Company logo" to no real success, but maybe this is just a rendering that the ESBC uses and WWE is borrowing? I agree about the ESB being so iconic to New York that it ought to be impossible to claim trademark protection against an original rendering of it.

Intrestingly enough, Wrestlemania 21, which used the Hollywood sign in the stage and elsewhere, when the wwe videogame came out with the wm21 set, no where was the hollywood sign, so I guess that was copyrighted too.

I'm guessing this won't be the "final" logo. It's probably similar to the Super Bowl host commitee logos.

I'd bet the final logo will ditch the building (possibly for copyright/royalty reasons) and replace NY/NJ with XXIX.

I don't think they've had a placeholder logo since the aforementioned WM25. When they announced Miami for this year's WM, the logo they had on announcement day is what they've used ever since. Same goes for Glendale the year before.

Other than possibly swapping out the NY/NJ for XXIX, I'd say this is here to stay. No complaints from me, either. Best looking WM logo in a long time.

Shiny!

I'm no expert on past wrestlemania logos, but this seems extremely detailed.

But then again, I guess it isn't reproduced the same ways that super bowl and world series logos are.

Hope this helps!

WrestleManiaLogos.jpg

...If you don't think a topic is interesting or worthy of discussion, just ignore it. Or, God forbid, use the Report feature if you're really and truly offended. Every response saying "this doesn't belong here" just sends it back to the top of the stack and calls more attention to the subject...

Nailed it. I see this principle play out all the time when I post concepts in the concepts forum (bada-bing!)

But the Empire State Building is also a iconic symbol that instantly identifies an event or product with New York City - and, in this case, the surrounding region - as a whole.

Just an idea, but I wonder if it has to do with how it's displayed, like, how detailed it is, how prominent it is, or maybe whether it's incorporated into the greater skyline. It's actually an interesting logo/design question: when is a geographic feature just that and when is it a copyrighted design? Down the moral/legal rabbit hole we go...

Hope this helps!

Actually, looking at them all like that this year might be my favorite after WM10, which I think is the best of the bunch. 1 through 6 are classic in an old school sorta way, the rest of them are just too goofy looking. This year suffers from too much detail and those lens flares. but like someone mentioned, they do use these logos in a different way than SB/WS, etc. logos.

This is sports logo community, not TV/showtime/ theater community. I don't see what a logo for an organization of few actors has to do with sports, apart for them taking a legit sport's name.

Yeah, but don't they still consider themselves the "Worldwide Leader in Sports Entertainment"? :therock:

And Gatorade is a Sports drink. Should we discuss their logo as well? <_<

You do realize this is also a graphic design board.... don't you?

^ its that serious? Its not like they posted the new logo for a toilet paper manufacturer or something. Lol. Is it not close enough for a forum?? WWE always gets complimented on both graphics & overall video production skills. They've been innovators that all 'legit' sports take bits from.