Windows 8 Rebrand

drdougfresh

I like that the logo more closely resembles an actual window now, but the loss of the classic color scheme is a bit of a disappointment for me. More than anything, it was the quad-colors that said "Microsoft Windows" to me.

I tried that and think it looks kind of cool:

win8n.png

I agree the four colors makes the logo remind me even more of Windows, although keep in mind the actual logo apparently changes color depending on your desktop settings.

Too matte, but way better than what they're giving us.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saying something looks 90's has come to mean very little on these boards. Just seems like a different way of saying "I don't like it."

It's a nice way if saying, "It looks badly dated and most likely quite ugly and/or garish." as most things in the 1990s were.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Saying something looks 90's has come to mean very little on these boards. Just seems like a different way of saying "I don't like it."

It's a nice way if saying, "It looks badly dated and most likely quite ugly and/or garish." as most things in the 1990s were.

Or something that LightsOut would LOOOOVEEE

Except from a design standpoint (as far as sports logos are concerned) most 90's logos were infinitely superior to their simplistic counterparts...

The new Windows 8 Logo looks like this old Windows logo:

1000px-Windows_1.0_logo.svg.png

your right on the right track here. i think they borrowed from this era.

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

So, anyone else using the OS?

I have been since the Consumer Preview was launched. In my day-to-day use, I don't see the Windows logo much at all. It's there in the "Charms" menu, but that's way more accessible with touch input than keyboard (which is what I've been using).

I meant to install the OS on a partition rather than as the new baseline, but did something wrong along the way. That said, it's a pretty easy change from Windows 7, especially because the "desktop as app" feature works as well as it does.

Metro apps are beautiful, but the functionality is not quite there. I'm glad they're leaving legacy access -- the function of the overall OS really doesn't change once you "get it."

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just installed it. woohoo! Got to do some exploring. But it seems like it is running smoothly.

I'll be interested to hear how it works for you. I spend most of my time with Win8 in the desktop mode, but that would definitely be different if I was using a touch device.

It's going to be a hoot when affordable Win8 touch devices are mainstream. Having fast but full computing power wherever you go will redefine how we look at computing. Everything everywhere will be the expectation from our laptops, tablets and phones. IPad has been closest to date, but Win8 is a much different experience.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Except from a design standpoint (as far as sports logos are concerned) most 90's logos were infinitely superior to their simplistic counterparts...

Well, maybe from your design standpoint, but according to the principles of design, no. The 1990s were about as bad as you could get, and it was because people were too eager to jump into the digital world without having mastered the tools or the new digital workflow that got you from concept to completion.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ya, Blue screen of death is what I immediately thought of when I first came across the new logo.

I'm surprised they didn't use Calibri for "windows", or some similar type of rounded corner edges they're so fond of.

Microsoft Surface is a pretty great name for their new tablet. For Redmond, that's pretty inspired branding.

Microsoft Surface is a pretty great name for their new tablet. For Redmond, that's pretty inspired branding.

Actually, they took the name from this...

samsung-sur40.png

...and renamed this PixelSense. (More info on PixelSense (formally known as Surface) here.)

I know. Surface is too good a name to use on a product no one will ever able to be able to afford for home use.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It looks like it was whipped up in 5 minutes, TBH. I still don't understand why they got rid of this logo:

win98logo.gif

It's iconic, memorable, and still the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Windows".

BFBS B)

Archived